Menu

I hate doing hard things and tomorrow I have to do something hard...(whine maybe, request for support) UPDATE first post

bettyandbob

I'm going to resign from one of my jobs. I interviewed a few weeks ago for a couple of jobs, but didn't get them. That's OK, I know what I need to do to improve and look better. Even though I didn't get a new job I'm still resigning. 

This job (A) was supposed to be a temporary step to get back into a certain field. It's been 8 years. I've never gotten a raise. And it's clear I'm not getting back into that field. Some things have happened that I find contrary to the mission (purposely being vague here) and besides being stagnate, I don't want to be part of a broken system (at least broken in the role that this company is filling). 

That leaves two jobs. I've requested hours at one (job B) of the two jobs and have been told I will get them that should cover much of the time I worked the job I'm leaving. I have a meeting with a former supervisor from the other job ©. Former supervisor is at another facility (D) and has informally offered me higher pay than B or C. We are meeting next week to hammer out how that might work. I also met with someone else in the field yesterday to informally chat about my resume. He doesn't have any salary positions, but made suggestions on what to beef up to get considered for one. And he said he might be able to offer me an even higher hourly rate than B, C, or D. So, for the time being I will likely still have 3 jobs. But I know I can make up the dollars lost from resigning at A. 

I hate juggling three jobs. I can't fit in exercise because I am always coming or going to work. This is a serious problem for me because exercise controls my anxiety, depression and some other health problems. I also have to figure out how no to work every single day of the week. I'm hoping I having so I have one day off a week starting fall. I do think I can be in a good position to land a salaried job soon. I am working on my network (not an easy task for an introvert). 

Anyway, the task at hand is to resign. I am the only employee right now. The business is not doing well. I am the person who has a needed certification for the business--owner does not. My quitting is going to cause a lot of problems. And I'm anxious how to bring this up. I hate making people unhappy. So, I have to go in tomorrow and make him very unhappy. 

Thanks for reading. 

UPDATE

I told him first thing. He was surprised. He wants me to stay a month. There's a specific reason why this makes sense, it's not to drag this out. He's also like me to do some stuff remotely and I said no to that. 

I'm glad that's done. I can start moving on. I can let go of stagnating in one field and build skills to move up in another area. 

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. 

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 5

Oh, man!  That is a LOT that you've been juggling!  You are going to feel so much relief when this is done. 

Have you thought through your exit plan?  Will you stay on for 2 weeks?  Is there a raise amount that if offered you'd change your plan (which he might not, and since the business isn't going well, you probably shouldn't take if offered)? 

• Like 3

How the business manages after you leave is not your problem. If the boss valued you, surely he'd have given you a raise at some point in eight long years. Give your two weeks notice. Then move on. I hope you get something great soon, so you can make do with only one job. That's an incredibly tough schedule. Good luck.

• Like 9

Would it help to write things down? Write a letter of resignation, print it out, and turn it in. If they wish to discuss it after reading it, that's fine, but you don't have to worry about getting the initial words out.

Agree with the others that this is about what is going to work for YOU. You do not owe a company that gives no raises or advancement for eight years any particular favors.

• Like 7

I guess I feel guilty because this job was here when I needed one and it was flexible when I was still homeschooling. I guess I've repaid any favor due to the flexibility by sticking around so long. Over the years I've had 4 coworkers come and go (only one other person besides me at a time). 

Thank you for reminding me not to feel bad about doing this. 

• Like 7

I would do anything for an employee who would repay a favor by staying 8 months, lol. I'm serious, no kidding. I have had three employees make it past six months. They are great, and I take care of them the best I can. There is no way a reasonable person will do anything but wish you well after eight years. You are a rock star!

• Like 1

I resigned my job last week. My boss was already looking to hire an additional person for our team (me and a colleague), now she has to find two people in a market where people with my skillset are highly in demand and difficult to find. Now boss has to hire two and soon that will be three since my colleague is looking to get out. I was really nervous to tell her that I was quitting and making her life even more difficult! She took it well though (at least on the surface!) and it went far better than expected. So you never know, it might not be so bad. At any rate you need to do what's right for you. 

• Like 1

How they manage isn't your problem.  Just type up a simple letter that says that you are formally giving your 2 week notice and that X will be your last day.  Don't even worry over including a reason.  If you are asked directly you can tell the truth, "I need XX more dollars and XX more hours so that I can drop one of my 3 jobs and start living like a person."  If they offer that up to you, you can consider it, or not, as you like.

Frankly if the owner has kept only 1 employee with a certification to run their business and doesn't bother getting that cert themselves, they must not care all that much about the business themselves, so I don't see why you should care more than the owner does.

• Like 6

I agree.  Give your two week notice or whatever notice is required.  Leave and don't look back.  You're not responsible for their company.   I'm very close to resigning a job myself.  It's hard but you have to look after yourself.  Ask yourself if the company owner would take care of you if you get sick.  You have to do what is best for you and your family!

Edited by Eliz
  • Like 1

I know it's stressful juggling jobs, and I (almost) always feel guilty when I resign, especially if I know the employer isn't expecting it. I, too, would feel invested after eight years, and I completely understand why this is hard for you. However, it does sound like it's time to make some kind of move.

I'm crossing my fingers all goes/went well for you today and that breaking things off with this employer opens some doors and windows for you elsewhere.

• Like 2