Menu

Pronunciation in OPG

We are in the middle of long vowels with silent E in Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. Some of the authors pronunciations have been a bit funny, but haven't bothered me too much. We just started long u and she instructs you to teach tube as if it has a long u. There were one or two other words with similar instruction. DD self corrects her pronunciation and will sound it out t-Å«-b-e and then pronounce it as we do in daily life. Is this long u the correct pronunciation? Or is there a better way to teach the u sound found in tube, lube, etc.

I use a different u sound for tube and for lube, so I'm not sure which pronunciation is the book one and which is your daily life one!

Is the book suggesting toob or tyoob or something else? Which is your everyday pronunciation?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use a different u sound for tube and for lube, so I'm not sure which pronunciation is the book one and which is your daily life one!

Is the book suggesting toob or tyoob or something else? Which is your everyday pronunciation?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use a different u sound as well. We say toob and loob, etc. The book suggest tyoob and lyoob. I'm just curious as to whether there is a better, phonetic way to teach these sounds or if it is needed. My daughter corrects it in her reading so she will sound out "tube" tyoob, but then say "toob"when she tells me what the word is. 

Barton Reading teaches that long u makes two sounds, ee-oo and oo. The second is just a shortened version of the first, and is used because the first is difficult to pronounce in some words. Your mouth will naturally choose the correct sound. So your dd is doing fine in sounding it out and correcting it in her reading.

• Like 1

Just sound it out the way they suggest, then if that doesn't elicit anything like the normal way you pronounce it, explain about how words can sound a bit different depending on regional accents and customs. 

@kwik, yes, we had to change entire sections of that book to accommodate the differences between American and Australian English, but it added to the learning for the kids.

OPG definitely reflects the pronunciation patterns of its author. I found a number of them differed from my own. The long-u words was a source of some amusement in our family, since my wife's English grandmother had very used the long-u sound (with the initial y-sound) for words like "tube" and "student." My wife would imitate her grandmother with an exaggerated accent, and we just explained that there are lots of different regional accents in English. Rather than say things are wrong, we talk about certain pronunciations being "standard" or "non-standard." Most people have some non-standard pronunciations or grammatical usages. I was disappointed that Susan Wise did not explicitly address where her pronunciations might differ from other common pronuciations. 

The funniest incident of this sort in our house was the short-e sound. I was reading the list of short-e words: pet, let, met, etc. When I came to "g-e-t," I said "git" using my regional Ohio accent. Only as I heard myself say "git" did I realize that I did not pronounce that word with a short e. We still laugh about that incident whenever we recommend OPC to other families. 

• Like 1

OPG definitely reflects the pronunciation patterns of its author. I found a number of them differed from my own. The long-u words was a source of some amusement in our family, since my wife's English grandmother had very used the long-u sound (with the initial y-sound) for words like "tube" and "student." My wife would imitate her grandmother with an exaggerated accent, and we just explained that there are lots of different regional accents in English. Rather than say things are wrong, we talk about certain pronunciations being "standard" or "non-standard." Most people have some non-standard pronunciations or grammatical usages. I was disappointed that Susan Wise did not explicitly address where her pronunciations might differ from other common pronuciations.

The funniest incident of this sort in our house was the short-e sound. I was reading the list of short-e words: pet, let, met, etc. When I came to "g-e-t," I said "git" using my regional Ohio accent. Only as I heard myself say "git" did I realize that I did not pronounce that word with a short e. We still laugh about that incident whenever we recommend OPC to other families.

Her not addressing her accent may be what bothers me the most. It's almost as if she assumes her way is the proper one and that's those people who may be saying tube as toob, are incorrect.

I think we'll continue on as we are as long as my daughter self corrects.

We are in the middle of long vowels with silent E in Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. Some of the authors pronunciations have been a bit funny, but haven't bothered me too much. We just started long u and she instructs you to teach tube as if it has a long u. There were one or two other words with similar instruction. DD self corrects her pronunciation and will sound it out t-Å«-b-e and then pronounce it as we do in daily life. Is this long u the correct pronunciation? Or is there a better way to teach the u sound found in tube, lube, etc.

That is definitely the *correct* pronunciation of "tube."  Many of us pronounce it like "toob," but it is properly pronounced "tyoob." Teach it that way, because it will help her spelling.

Oh, and "lube" is pronounced "loob" and not "lyoob" because it's actually a shortened form of "lubricate." And you can't really say "lyoob," lol. I would not teach those words together, because although they are spelled similarly, they are pronounced differently, and it could get confusing trying to explain why the same letter combinations are pronounced differently.

• Like 1

That is definitely the *correct* pronunciation of "tube." Many of us pronounce it like "toob," but it is properly pronounced "tyoob." Teach it that way, because it will help her spelling.

I did teach it in the lesson that way. And I'll continue using it as an example of long u with silent e. She Sounds it out as tyoob, but then says toob.

And I looked back at the lesson, she didn't list lube as one of the long u sounds haha

• Like 1

Oh, and "lube" is pronounced "loob" and not "lyoob" because it's actually a shortened form of "lubricate." And you can't really say "lyoob," lol. I would not teach those words together, because although they are spelled similarly, they are pronounced differently, and it could get confusing trying to explain why the same letter combinations are pronounced differently.

The 'y' sound in lubricate is optional but not incorrect (in that it is said that way by some and therefore reflected in dictionaries):

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/110797?rskey=WsMiIy&result=2&isAdvanced=false#eid

I say it with the 'y' sound myself.

If it helps All About Reading has a free app that pronounces all the letter sounds and phonograms which I find really helpful since I can never keep them straight.

Thanks. We have that one and the paid Logic of English app. It's More of an annoyance for me since my daughter seems okay with it haha

I remember reading about Wise's pronunciation in some reviews befor

There was a different issue later in the book for us. I can't remember what it was specifically, but there were two groups of words divided over two lessons. The first lesson the vowel combination was said one way and then the second it was supposedly said another way, but we say them the same here. Even my husband, who was once fired from a college radio dj position for allegedly over-enunciating, pronounces the two sets of words with the same vowel sound.

I was disappointed that Susan Wise did not explicitly address where her pronunciations might differ from other common pronuciations. 

Just a clarification:  the authors of OPGTR are Sara Buffington and Susan Wise Bauer's mother, Jessie Wise. SWB is not an author.  :coolgleamA:

There was a different issue later in the book for us. I can't remember what it was specifically, but there were two groups of words divided over two lessons. The first lesson the vowel combination was said one way and then the second it was supposedly said another way, but we say them the same here. Even my husband, who was once fired from a college radio dj position for allegedly over-enunciating, pronounces the two sets of words with the same vowel sound.

There are funny differences in pronunciation. It hasn't been a deal breaker for us. I still love the book and it's working. And for spelling, I can understand the rules. Reading is so funny and tricky!

Being aussies there were many instances in that book where I could not for the life of me figure out how how certain words were together in terms of pronunciation.
Tube however was not one of those cases, it is pronounced with a long u t-you-b

DS and I had some discussions about regional accents when we ran into things like that. I found it annoying that she never addressed that, but it wasn't difficult to deal with when it popped up, and made for some welcome giggles at times. The program works, even with the occasional oddity.

DS and I had some discussions about regional accents when we ran into things like that. I found it annoying that she never addressed that, but it wasn't difficult to deal with when it popped up, and made for some welcome giggles at times. The program works, even with the occasional oddity.

I agree. It does work. Just makes for some interesting reading at times. But we will use it again when my second child is ready

From my spelling rules, my iPad would not let me select the example words:

u, eu, ue, and ew can be pronounced either “yoo†or “oo†depending on the letter that comes before the vowel. Words that start with a ch, d, j, l, r, or s will say “oo,†t can say either sound except for a few words which can only be pronounced “oo.†Words starting with all other letters will say “yoo.â€

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/spelling%20rules1.pdf

Most children self correct to the right pronunciation. My ESL students and students with speech or language problems need the list and explicit instructions, I teach both types and explain why the y is dropped after certain sounds.

Edited by ElizabethB

That is definitely the *correct* pronunciation of "tube."  Many of us pronounce it like "toob," but it is properly pronounced "tyoob." Teach it that way, because it will help her spelling.

Both pronunciations are widely accepted, and thus both are "correct".

Oh, and "lube" is pronounced "loob" and not "lyoob" because it's actually a shortened form of "lubricate." And you can't really say "lyoob," lol.

You can in some dialects. It's amazing the sort of weird combinations that are possible in other people's speech but not our own! For example, I can't say É› before a nasal (because I have the pen-pin merger), nor even hear it unless it's specially elongated, but other people rattle it off with aplomb. Monolingual Japanese speakers can't readily distinguish between English r and l, but obviously you and I don't have that problem.

L and Y are both articulated very close together. It's not any different, really, from starting a word with ts (something we don't do much in English, but that's common in some other languages).

it could get confusing trying to explain why the same letter combinations are pronounced differently.

Then it's surely not the case that not erroneously telling a child that the way they pronounce "tube" is incorrect will harm their spelling ability.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2