Menu

OJ Simpson

Scarlett

When they were married he would sometimes lock her in a closet then open the door to beat the .... out of her and then lock her in again. Or was it kick? So, killing her in a rage wasn't a stretch.

Yes. Definitely a rage killing. She was nearly decapitated.

I always thought that even without the Dna evidence there was plenty to convict him. A blood trail going into his house, him not being there when the limo driver came for him, the limo driver seeing a tall black man sneak back into the house and suddenly OJ answers and says he had been in the shower.

The thumping noises that the houseguest hear coming from behind the cottage...the shoe being the kind he wore ( the civil trial proved he had owned the same shoes that left the footprint.).

The black bag that went into the limo to never be seen again.

All of that was enough for me. He was guilty.

• Like 3

Yes. Definitely a rage killing. She was nearly decapitated.

I always thought that even without the Dna evidence there was plenty to convict him. A blood trail going into his house, him not being there when the limo driver came for him, the limo driver seeing a tall black man sneak back into the house and suddenly OJ answers and says he had been in the shower.

The thumping noises that the houseguest hear coming from behind the cottage...the shoe being the kind he wore ( the civil trial proved he had owned the same shoes that left the footprint.).

The black bag that went into the limo to never be seen again.

All of that was enough for me. He was guilty.

The problem is that when the police do some sketchy things, everything becomes questionable. The chain of custody issue is a big deal on its own, but when a key detective takes the stand and lies under oath and THEN pleads the 5th when asked if he planted/manufactured evidence...well good luck getting a conviction.

Fuhrman was particularly damaging when there was already a sense within certain communities in LA that the the LAPD could not be trusted.

Edited by ChocolateReignRemix
  • Like 5

I'd seen OJ and Nicole together not long before she was killed. Very weird scene.

I was in line at a popular Italian take-out restaurant called Rosti off San Vicente in Brentwood, near where Nicole lived. When they came in, I was standing just ahead of her.

I did not know who she was, but the guys working there sure did. In moments she was flirting with the enthusiastic counter-men. She was literally waving her breasts at them, I kid you not. 

Never witnessed anything quite like it.  I looked back at OJ, who as hanging back just at the entrance of the small shop. He was holding the Akita. There was a look of rage on the man's face. If I've every seen murder in an expression, this was it. She kept up, laughing and doing the shimmy, while OJ burned.

I got my order, headed towards my car, and thought to myself, "I don't know who this woman is, but she is going to get herself killed." I believed it literally. 

Not long after, I opened my morning paper-the LA Times-to see her photo on the cover. Can't say I was surprised, or in much doubt who cut her head off.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 5

It was that stupid glove.

If it doesn't fit you must acquit?

Yeah, quite memorable, and I was in elementary school when it happened.

Edited by Arctic Mama

He is up for parole next year too. He wants to date the Kardashian mom from what I read last. ((rolleyes))

There are many many rumors that he already did "date" her and that O.J. Simpson is actually Khloe Kardashian's bio-dad.

• Like 1

I'd seen OJ and Nicole together not long before she was killed. Very weird scene.

I was in line at a popular Italian take-out restaurant called Rosti off San Vicente in Brentwood, near where Nicole lived. When they came in, I was standing just ahead of her.

I did not know who she was, but the guys working there sure did. In moments she was flirting with the enthusiastic counter-men. She was literally waving her breasts at them, I kid you not.

Never witnessed anything quite like it. I looked back at OJ, who as hanging back just at the entrance of the small shop. He was holding the Akita. There was a look of rage on the man's face. If I've every seen murder in an expression, this was it. She kept up, laughing and doing the shimmy, while OJ burned.

I got my order, headed towards my car, and thought to myself, "I don't know who this woman is, but she is going to get herself killed." I believed it literally.

Not long after, I opened my morning paper-the LA Times-to see her photo on the cover. Can't say I was surprised, or in much doubt who cut her head off.

Bill

Reading that gave me the chills.

I was an undergrad. I watched some of the trial, not all. Was riveted when they read the verdict. Not too many years later took several courses on race and media, and this was a prominent portion. Fascinating, morbidly, and disturbing.

• Like 2

The problem is that when the police do some sketchy things, everything becomes questionable. The chain of custody issue is a big deal on its own, but when a key detective takes the stand and lies under oath and THEN pleads the 5th when asked if he planted/manufactured evidence...well good luck getting a conviction.

Fuhrman was particularly damaging when there was already a sense within certain communities in LA that the the LAPD could not be trusted.

That was my understanding as well.

I was out of the country (though a teen) and missed the entire chase but saw part of the trial. My impression was that the police screwed up big time with the procedural stuff. I think what made people happy--NOT that I agree with this even a tiny bit--was that they believed that justice was often bought out when white guys were up, but black guys always got convicted. So this was "fair" somehow.

I thought it was awful, still do. His whole character just reeked of abuser. But there is some part of me that understands, even though it rejects, the cheering. Because there is so, so much injustice already, you're just cheering for a "team".

• Like 1

Yeah, I think for many the victory didn't have much to do with OJ, it was a victory against the police and the system.

I don't know that as a juror I would have made a different decision.  If I had good reason to think the police were corrupt and planted evidence, that would bring everything else into doubt.

• Like 1

Never witnessed anything quite like it.  I looked back at OJ, who as hanging back just at the entrance of the small shop. He was holding the Akita. There was a look of rage on the man's face. If I've every seen murder in an expression, this was it. She kept up, laughing and doing the shimmy, while OJ burned.

Isn't this victim blaming?  

I'm not a PC kind of person.  But I am an "ounce of prevention" kind of person and would rather think about the steps people (not just women) can take to prevent tragedy.    It seems like you're saying that if she had behaved more modestly, then it's possible that she might still be alive today.   But many people these days get angry at any suggestions of practicing modesty and even mock those who do.    

• Like 2

I'm not a PC kind of person.  But I am an "ounce of prevention" kind of person and would rather think about the steps people (not just women) can take to prevent tragedy.    It seems like you're saying that if she had behaved more modestly, then it's possible that she might still be alive today.   But many people these days get angry at any suggestions of practicing modesty and even mock those who do.    

I thought it was just an observation about what was obviously a volitile situation.  Maybe if she'd been different, or he had, things would have been different.  But that kind of seems like a truism.

• Like 1

While he wrote "She's going to get herself killed," I would be $1000 that he doesn't actually think Nicole Brown's murder was her own fault.  It's just an  unvarnished memory of observation a tragedy in the works. 

• Like 1

It seems like you're saying that if she had behaved more modestly, then it's possible that she might still be alive today.   But many people these days get angry at any suggestions of practicing modesty and even mock those who do.   

Nobody cares how you dress. If anybody is going to kill you because of how you dress or act, that's on them - not you.

OJ wouldn't have noticed her to begin with if she was one to dress modestly. We are not talking about Tebow!

I think she was in an impossible situation. Short of OJ going to jail for something else, this was going to happen. Sadly her story wasn't the last either.

When I saw the look on OJ's face, I knew he was capable of murder. He wanted to kill her on the spot. His expression was not one of anger, but of repressed homicidal rage. 

Nicole was feeding that rage. And with obvious intent to do so. She seemed to be enjoying it.

After seeing this I felt she was going to get herself killed. 

One can call that blaming the victim if you want. That's not the way I see it. It is very unwise to provoke a person who clearly has murder on his mind. It wasn't about what she was wearing. I remember what she was wearing (as this was a memorable scene, even without the transpiring events). She was wearing a knit greenish dress, quite form fitting, and wasn't tightly strapping down up top, but not much skin showing. In LA that dress was modest. Her behavior? Not modest. It was like a show. Shimmy-shimmy. Over-the-top. Never seen anything like it in my life. Counter-men going crazy. If one stage a reenactment, to one would believe the scene. But I saw it.

Doesn't excuse OJ. He was going to kill her. She might have reasonably have sensed that.

Bill

When I saw the look on OJ's face, I knew he was capable of murder. He wanted to kill her on the spot. His expression was not one of anger, but of repressed homicidal rage. 

Nicole was feeding that rage. And with obvious intent to do so. She seemed to be enjoying it.

One can call that blaming the victim if you want. That's not the way I see it. It is very unwise to provoke a person who clearly has murder on his mind. It wasn't about what she was wearing. I remember what she was wearing (as this was a memorable scene, even without the transpiring events). She was wearing a knit greenish dress, quite form fitting, and wasn't tightly strapping down up top, but not much skin showing. In LA that dress was modest. Her behavior? Not modest. It was like a show. Shimmy-shimmy. Over-the-top. Never seen anything like it in my life. Counter-men going crazy. If one stage a reenactment, to one would believe the scene. But I saw it.

Doesn't excuse OJ. He was going to kill her. She might have reasonably have sensed that.

Bill

I understand that you were talking about her behavior, not what she was wearing. 

I would be shocked to see any woman behaving this way, not just a married woman.  But it's awful to think that a wife would want to treat her husband in such a disrespectful way.    

It's too bad that you and the others had to witness that.  It would certainly be unforgettable.   

I understand that you were talking about her behavior, not what she was wearing. 

I would be shocked to see any woman behaving this way, not just a married woman.  But it's awful to think that a wife would want to treat her husband in such a disrespectful way.    

It's too bad that you and the others had to witness that.  It would certainly be unforgettable.   

I believe they were divorced. I didn't know the nature of their relationship at the time, other that understanding via body language that OJ was possessive, and not happy.

It was weird. I would have remembered it in any case. But her death left me with hat "what could I have done?" feeling. Which was nothing. But still.

BTW, OJ was well-known in the neighborhood as a total hound-dog. At various times he hit on two different girlfriends of mine (while he was married).

Bill 

Um...what?

I don't know how they met, but I would assume that she wasn't dressing very modestly. After all, those who hang around the jocks, stereotypically, don't. 

Tebow is/was a football player known for his christian views. He got in trouble/taken heat for it at times. 

Full disclosure, when I was dating, I wasn't always modest either. I was just making the point that the way she dressed or didn't dress played no part in this. If he wasn't married to Nicole, odds are he would have been married to someone else who would be where Nicole is now. 

I don't know how they met, but I would assume that she wasn't dressing very modestly. After all, those who hang around the jocks, stereotypically, don't.

Tebow is/was a football player known for his christian views. He got in trouble/taken heat for it at times.

Full disclosure, when I was dating, I wasn't always modest either. I was just making the point that the way she dressed or didn't dress played no part in this. If he wasn't married to Nicole, odds are he would have been married to someone else who would be where Nicole is now.

You are still losing me on the Nicole/modesty line of thinking. And I know this may come to a surprise to you, but pro athletes and the women they marry are not all the same, and it is a bit obnoxious to bring modesty into this discussion. And FTR, it isn't a stretch to say that some women who dressed modest by your standards have also been abused and killed by their husbands.

I mean seriously, what you just said is just awful.

• Like 4

I was agreeing with someone further up. 

For the record the day that the verdict came down I was on a trip with my boyfriend who abused me! I live in fear EVERYDAY that one day he may find me and kill me and my family so don't lecture me on what it is like! The "guy" who abused me abused his wife before me and I am sure he is abusing someone right now. A leopard doesn't change his spots. I can only imagine the fear that Nicole had as the person who abused her was a celebrity and she was one too in her own right (though not as much as she is now because of her death). I am lucky that I was able to disappear and I live with the fact that the guy who abused me hasn't tried to find me last 16 years that I know of. However as a celebrity Nicole wouldn't have had this working for her. 

My point was that if he didn't meet Nicole and she wasn't in his life, someone else would have been the one that he abused. Just like the "guy" who abused me didn't need me to abuse. He didn't need his wife to abuse, he was just going to abuse. That is who he is. Just like how I believe all abusers are. 

• Like 1

My point was that if he didn't meet Nicole and she wasn't in his life, someone else would have been the one that he abused. Just like the "guy" who abused me didn't need me to abuse. He didn't need his wife to abuse, he was just going to abuse. That is who he is. Just like how I believe all abusers are. 

You know you can make that same point without discussing how Nicole *might* have been dressed, right?   And you should because it is true.

• Like 1

Bill

Ftr, I don't believe Nicole was responsible for being murdered. But I wonder.....what possessed her to act that way at all, much less in front of a man full of rage?.

I remember hearing the verdict but, perhaps unlike most of America, I had not seen the trial or followed the news basically at all. I was in high school at hippie high (tiny magnet school with a democratic free school bent) washing my soup bowl after lunch (see, hippie high) and all of the sudden when someone mentioned the verdict this odd girl was going nuts and running around ranting how the white race would never stand for this and the Aryan nation would rise up. You wait and see, the Aryan nation was rising up to avenge this verdict. And all of us little progressive hippie high school kids in our carefully assembled thrift store attire and bellies full of vegetarian soup who liked to espouse strong anti-racist beliefs and register for interdisciplinary classes on Diaspora, Environmental Systems, Social justice radio while toting around Audre Lorde and Johanthan Kozol books in our handmade knapsacks were just watching her spiral dumbstruck like we had never stopped to consider the possibility that someone who would say Aryan nation seriously, admiringly and unironically would be AT OUR SCHOOL. How stupid we all were watching her. I remember later in the day turning to the guy this girl was dating and saying "dude, your girlfriend is nuts." This was a boy I had never gotten on with and had usually spent considerable time arguing with but suddenly there was a detente in our ongoing debate battle and we became fast friends. Because it was like he was waiting for someone to vocalize that he was dating a nutcase and could do much better. Later on when I read up on the case, it seems a guilty man had gotten off but that surreal experience in the kitchen was the first time I'd ever taken much note of the case and it was wholly overshadowed by a girl running around ranting about the Aryan nation in my school.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1