Menu

Which areas of St. Louis safest to stay in hotel?

armom

What are you planning to do while there? Tourist stuff? Business? I don't live there, but I know St. Louis traffic can be horrendous, so I'd want to stay close-ish to what you're planning to visit. 

:iagree:   We've stayed near the zoo and near the arch and both areas seemed perfectly safe for this urban dweller.  That said, it's a huge metro with traffic so it really does depend on what you're doing.

• Like 1

I just stayed in Arnold a few days ago and that was fine. It was about 20 minutes drive but for us that was not a problem. I think the touristy part of St Louis is safe and also pretty much anywhere south and west. Not so sure about the north-east area.

I'd stay near Forest Park, as there is a ton of construction going on right now on pretty much every major highway, and hotel parking downtown is $20+, I think. Zoo and Science Center are in Forest Park. City Museum (I'm figuring that's what you meant by museum) isn't, but isn't very hard to get to from the Forest Park area.

The Arch... is a mess right now. Lots of construction and renovation going on. You can get tickets for the Arch tram at the Old Courthouse, which is housing the exhibits during construction, or buy them online before you go and avoid the walk out to the Courthouse. You have to have tram tickets in hand to go inside Arch right now.

I have no idea what parking areas is open near the Arch grounds since we usually park in DH's work garage, but the Arch website should have available lots and road closures. Sometimes they have coupons as well, but I cannot see from the mobile website if they still offer them.

Have fun! So much stuff to do here with kids!

• Like 3

Try the Hampton Inn at Forest Park.  We've stayed there several times. It's very close to the zoo and science center, and the central west end is fairly walkable.  I can't remember where the light rail goes through, but I think there's a station near by that you could hop on and save yourself driving downtown.

I just stayed in Arnold a few days ago and that was fine. It was about 20 minutes drive but for us that was not a problem. I think the touristy part of St Louis is safe and also pretty much anywhere south and west. Not so sure about the north-east area.

*belated wave hello*

It's not really close to the tourist stuff, but DH commutes from this area easily and it's very safe.

• Like 1

*belated wave hello*

It's not really close to the tourist stuff, but DH commutes from this area easily and it's very safe.

We were in St Louis for the FIRST robotics world championship and Arnold was a great place for us to stay. Very reasonable price and the area looked like a nice place to live. I'd definitely stay there again.

We were in St Louis for the FIRST robotics world championship and Arnold was a great place for us to stay. Very reasonable price and the area looked like a nice place to live. I'd definitely stay there again.

Did you get to the City Museum while you were here? We had tickets that expired Saturday and waited until the last minute to go, and completely forgot how busy it is there during the FIRST Championships. Soooo crowded.

Well, so far the only places I can find 2 bedroom suite for enough beds for our family size is in ST Charles or Maryland heights area.

I think it's Residence Inn in Maryland Heights? It's closer than St. Charles.

Have you tried AirBnb? You might be able to find a small apartment closer to Forest Park, and cheaper.

Maryland Heights is closer. Is the residence inn right off hwy. 40/64? Everything you say you're seeing is off that highway. I wouldn't stay out as far as St Charles if I didn't have to, though it is a very safe-feeling suburban area.

You know, if you don't plan on galavanting around late at night, I wouldn't worry too much about staying at a good-sized hotel near any of your areas. Even down by the arch. I'm a suburbanite for sure, and would feel fine getting back to a hotel by 9pm in any of those areas, even alone.

The more monied, supposedly safer areas of STL are Ladue, Frontenac, Clayton, Chesterfield, but hotels will cost a bit more there also. They are all along the 40/64 corridor, though.

Edited by momacacia

Maryland Heights is closer. Is the residence inn right off hwy. 40/64? Everything you say you're seeing is off that highway. I wouldn't stay out as far as St Charles if I didn't have to, though it is a very safe-feeling suburban area.

I don't think anything in Maryland Heights is along 40/64.

From St Charles you'd probably take 70 into town.

Most people here drive all over.  Driving from St Charles to downtown is fairly standard.

We stayed in the Drury Inn near Forrest Park twice. We were pleased both times. It is right off the interstate. Going to downtown or west was no problem. The zoo and science museum were very close. We stayed in a suite. There was a separate room with 2 queen beds. There is a pull out bed sofa and small kitchenette space with a sink, microwave, mini fridge, and counter space in the main room. TVs in both rooms. The pool is small, but my kids liked it. The included breakfast is huge. There is a hearty snack buffet, popcorn, and fountain drinks for all guests a couple hours each evening. Adults can get up to 3 alcoholic drinks/day of stay during this time.

Well, so far the only places I can find 2 bedroom suite for enough beds for our family size is in ST Charles or Maryland heights area.

In St. Charles, get a cup of coffee from Picassos and grab a couple (or 10) cookies from Grandmas cookies. So yum!

Oh and Sugarfire BBQ is Delish!