Menu

Transfer credits vs grades/ GPA transfer

Hilltopmom

Ds is still in high school, but has a plan to take a bunch of gen eds he'll need as a DE student for the next 2 years, then start at our local 4 year & live at home for a year or so likely to save $, then transfer to another 4 year.

I was explaining to him how credits transfer (not always & often not into your dept), but that your grades & GPA don't transfer. So- if you do all your gen Ed in high school, in college, you won't have any " easy" gen Ed type classes to pad your schedule with (& help out your GPA in semesters you're taking a few tough classes).

I was met with a blank stare. Talking GPA for getting into grad school or keeping up a scholarship was too far in the future for him to comprehend.

I looked it up for our local U & it's still true, grades & GPA don't follow you, just credit.

Is it still a good idea to knock out a bunch for gen eds thru DE to save $ overall? Just a few?

(We pay full price for DE, but will be using it to show college readiness as he wont have AP & isn't a great standardized test taker & no point in taking home brewed classrs when he's ready for DE)

He could just DE at the local U instead of the CC, it's a bit more expensive though & much bigger- I want him to start at the CC. Still won't help with his final transfer to another farther away U.

Yes, dd is quite sad that her DE GPA isn't following her! 

She took DE classes that we felt were worth it whether they transferred or not. For example, she took the 2 semesters of English composition that our local university requires, but she is going into the honors department at her 'real' university and is required to take a semester of Honors Freshman English. So those semesters didn't keep her out of freshman English, but they were still worthwhile on their own, as she needed to be doing writing and composition. 

The languages we were confident would transfer to some extent, either as credit or just placing into a higher level. Luckily, they all transferred. 

The math turned out to be a bit useless, but I guess it was good experience in the trials of having a brand new, very nervous, teacher. 

• Like 2

The GPA does not transfer, but the grades that you get for those classes will be on the highschool transcript and thus would affect the highschool GPA.  

Unless you don't plan to add those DE classes to his transcript??

Most colleges will require them to be on the transcript. 

• Like 1

Most colleges will require them to be on the transcript. 

I thought so, but wasn't 100% sure.  

My dd would have loved her DE GPA to follow her too!!  But, the grades show up on her college transcript as A's, just not calculated into cumulative GPA...so it looks good on paper anyway.  

• Like 1

I know I was happy as a Bio major undergrad to have some easy As in classes like History of Ballet or Public Speaking thrown in with Chem Analysis, Genetics, & Histology, etc some semesters;)

He certainly won't do all his gen eds while still in high school, mainly because the CC doesn't have nearly as many choices/ variety as the state U.

The fact that the GPA may not follow can be a bit misleading.  Although the final university may not calculate the grades in a GPA, the grades will appear on transcripts.  Any potential employer (or grad school) will see all grades and make an adjustment for those if they are not including in the university's GPA.  It is common, also, for a university to calculate multiple GPAs, depending on the situation.  For example, all course attempts may be counted in a GPA to determine graduating with honors, but the final grade in a repeated course may be the only grade used in a GPA calculation to determine minimum graduation requirements.

• Like 3

The fact that the GPA may not follow can be a bit misleading.  Although the final university may not calculate the grades in a GPA, the grades will appear on transcripts.  Any potential employer (or grad school) will see all grades and make an adjustment for those if they are not including in the university's GPA.  It is common, also, for a university to calculate multiple GPAs, depending on the situation.  For example, all course attempts may be counted in a GPA to determine graduating with honors, but the final grade in a repeated course may be the only grade used in a GPA calculation to determine minimum graduation requirements.

I don't think my sons' DE grades appear on their college transcripts.  I believe they are only listed as transfer credits.  

Erica

• Like 1

I don't think my sons' DE grades appear on their college transcripts.  I believe they are only listed as transfer credits.  

Erica

To apply for grad school, they will probably be required to provide a transcript from all colleges which have been attended.  The grades would appear on the transcript at the college where dual credit was taken.

• Like 4

I need to look into this a little deeper.  DD enrolled in the same community college so her dual enrollment credits and GPA are included for now. However, when she transfers to a 4-year state university, the credits will transfer but the new school will not include her CC grades.  I believe this is just for the school's purposes. . .the state scholarship grant should use all grades after high school but I need to confirm this. 

Yes, we will include them on his transcript.

But they won't count for his college GPA, is what I meant.

Have you checked that with the college? Some do count transfer credit grades. Ds's University includes his transfer credits in his college GPA. I don't think dd's does. Too bad since her DE GPA was higher than his.

• Like 1

Whether the GPA follows is totally dependent on the school, and this includes not just the college that they end up attending but also any possible potential graduate and professional schools. Many graduate and professional schools require transcripts from all colleges and universities attended and recalculate the GPA based on their rules. It is wisest to assume that they will be following you and work accordingly. 

• Like 1