Menu

If I like Coldwater Creek styles but...

Liz CA

Sometimes the end-of-season sales from Coldwater are good. I got several overshirts/light jackets that I use for work that were 50% off or more.

I have a Chico's locally that I've gotten a few things from. Macy's is hit-or-miss for me, but last summer I got some deals in August.

• Like 1

I like Coldwater Creek, too, but I'd never pay full price for the clothes. eBay currently has 47,359 listings for Coldwater Creek items. You can narrow your search by size, color, type of fabric, style, etc., and probably get several items for the price you'd pay new for one.

• Like 3

It looks like they are back!  I wonder when this happened.  I'm kind of excited.  I didn't shop there much, but I loved everything I bought, and the customer service was always top notch.  It looks like CC is only an online store now.  Maybe that will be more profitable for them.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/home?src=PGOG5001&gclid=CICI6uq9p8wCFdgSgQodcuYNgA&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

It doesn't help you much now, but I'd keep an eye out for their online sales. They used to do a big one toward the end of the year. They'd gradually move the percentage off up and up gradually, until it was some crazy amount off everything on the site. It was a balance of waiting until the percentage was what you wanted, but there was enough merchandise left, since they'd sell out of certain sizes. I did a big purchase once a year a couple of times with those sales.

Erica in OR

• Like 2

I like Coldwater Creek, too, but I'd never pay full price for the clothes. eBay currently has 47,359 listings for Coldwater Creek items. You can narrow your search by size, color, type of fabric, style, etc., and probably get several items for the price you'd pay new for one.

Do the same for Soft Surroundings.

Thank you! I never thought to look on ebay. I didn't even know they had closed their store. I've been to the one in Idaho once many years ago. Is J.Jill's quality somewhat comparable with Coldwater Creek?

I got my mom an outfit at JJill for Christmas and the fabrics were nice and the clothes well made. That was the first time I have purchased there, so I can't speak to how well they hold up over time or summer season clothes.

My absolute favorite store for those types of clothes is Talbots, but again I hate to pay full price.   We just had a new outlet mall open, and the Talbots Outlet is fabulous!  Everything in the store is 40% of list price, plus they have specials with additional % off on the weekends, and clearance merchandise ends up being an additional 25-30% off.   Definitely look into outlet stores near you.

• Like 1

Coldwater Creek closed their brick and mortar stores and went totally online.  

One thing to know about Chicos is that their prices are high but they seriously reward loyalty shopping.  So if you buy there again and again, and if you watch the sales (which they have frequently), their clothes can come out at a really good price.  But when you first go in the store and just look at the tags, not so much.  

Also, re: Soft Surroundings:  I found a particular item of clothing I really like, and it seemed like SS had it, so I looked online to see if it was on sale.  Sure enough, it was, marked down from $90 to $70.  I wasn't sure that it was *exactly* the fabric I wanted, so I drove 5 miles to their physical store, and saw the item, and it WAS exactly what I hoped it would be.  And the price?  $30.  I bought one of every color that they had in my size.  :0)  

I don't know what the moral of THAT story is, but it was certainly worth the drive for me to check out the real article at the physical store.  The online price is still $70.  

J Jill has the same quality in terms of fabrics, but they photoshop like mad, and their larger sizes are clearly not tried on actual women, just scaled up using a poor formula. Out of several things I've ordered from them, none of them were remotely the same color online as they are on my calibrated macs, and the necklines always had to be tailored before wearing in public because they end closer to my elbow than my collarbone, even when the model wearing the size small looked perfectly appropriate for a conservative church.  I never have that degree of trouble with any other store.  For example: I thought I was ordering a clear, bright Caribbean aqua dress and ended up with a muddy aqua shade of gray.  I don't know if J Jill still has stores (no longer live in an area with them), but if they do I'd go in person or be mentally prepared to send half the stuff back.

J Jill has the same quality in terms of fabrics, but they photoshop like mad, and their larger sizes are clearly not tried on actual women, just scaled up using a poor formula. Out of several things I've ordered from them, none of them were remotely the same color online as they are on my calibrated macs, and the necklines always had to be tailored before wearing in public because they end closer to my elbow than my collarbone, even when the model wearing the size small looked perfectly appropriate for a conservative church.  I never have that degree of trouble with any other store.  For example: I thought I was ordering a clear, bright Caribbean aqua dress and ended up with a muddy aqua shade of gray.  I don't know if J Jill still has stores (no longer live in an area with them), but if they do I'd go in person or be mentally prepared to send half the stuff back.

My experience with J Jill has been different. I've only had one item I returned for being off the color it looked online, and I've ordered quite a bit from them online. Also, size for me runs true.

I do live near a store, so I will go in to check colors sometimes. Red is the color that I have found most likely to be distorted online (really with any retailer.) 

With J.Jill and any online retailer, I wait for sales. I've gotten amazing deals during the J.Jill events in which they had a % reduction on clearance items. Woot! Woot! 

The quality of J Jill items is good. 

• Like 1

Coldwater Creek went belly-up.  Completely and absolutely.  The name was sold in bankruptcy court.  The company now operating under the Coldwater Creek is a completely different entity with completely different principals.  FYI.  (But I'd second J Jill as an alternative, but only during sales times. :scared: )

Another J.Jill shopper here. 

One of the things that I have discovered is that J.Jill often brings back the same styles year to year but in different colors.  For example, I love J.Jill's ponte knit pencil skirts.  I bought one which I wore regularly.  The next year, I decided to buy a second but waited until it was on markdown. 

For the most part, I have been happy with J.Jill's quality.  Their store near me has amazing customer service.  When I first bought jeans from J.Jill, I felt like a princess.  The clerk brought every style to me in the dressing room--I didn't have to look for sizes, carry things around.