Menu

Catwings/My Father's Dragon/The Littles level books?

nature girl

Can any of you recommend books at this level? I'm looking for both reading level, and appropriateness for younger kids (so no difficult concepts, or violence. One and Only Ivan would be at her reading level but too intense, books like Cricket in Times Square/Charlotte's Web and much of Kate DiCamillo (Tulane, Despereaux...) are okay as a read aloud, and she'd be able to read the words, but I think they'd be a little beyond her comprehension abilities if she read them to herself...) She also has trouble if there's too much text on each page...She didn't like Boxcar Children, to my chagrin, I think partly because she prefers fantasy or animal stories, and partly because there weren't enough pictures and those it had were very stylized. I've really been struggling to find books that will challenge her without challenging too much... (Bonus points if the writing is also good. :) )

Tall order, I know...Any suggestions?

My 2nd grader adored The Littles. She went from there to the Burgess animal stories, like Chatterer the Squirrel, Paddy the Beaver, and such. They're about the same size as a Littles book, but slightly more challenging to read.

• Like 1

If you aren't looking for classics and just fun series to read at that level, mine loved

Imagination station

A to Z mysteries

Cam Jansen

Gernomino Stilton

Humphrey

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. These are their fun reading they pick up at the library

My daughter has similar preferences despite a high reading level. She is enjoying the Bink and Gollie books from Kate DiCamillo, which are pretty fun. She also recently gobbled up all the Anna Hibiscus books by Atinuke. She just started on the Clementine books, which are a bit of a stretch regarding the words/picture ratio, but is loving those as well.

She also reads lots of picture books that honestly have more complex writing and storytelling. And piles of series books with much lower quality writing. But since I'm not sure if you're looking for either of those options, I'll spare you the lists for now.

• Like 2

This is so great, thank you! Some of these I read to her awhile ago and forgot about, some she's read and some are brand new to me. I'm having fun filling up my library hold list. (I've always thought the librarians must LOVE me. *sarcasm*)

She also reads lots of picture books that honestly have more complex writing and storytelling. And piles of series books with much lower quality writing. But since I'm not sure if you're looking for either of those options, I'll spare you the lists for now.

Oh don't spare me! We love picture books, but for whatever reason I've always treated them as read alouds, rather than books she should pick up to read herself. (I think this just goes back to last year when she was learning through ER books, and the picture books were too hard for her, for the most part. I'd love to hear your suggestions!

I don't think these meet all the things you asked for, but my kids loved Catwings & My Father's Dragon. I know a lot of them have probably too much text on each page but some are illustrated.

Some were more loved than others:

A Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz

Necklace of Raindrops by Joan Aiken
A Beginning, A Muddle, and an End by Avi (also, The End of the Beginning)

The Cat Who Came In off the Roof by Annie M.G. Schmidt

Goth Girl books by Chris Riddell
Dragonbreath series by Ursula Vernon

26 Fairmount Ave series by Tomie dePaola

The Lighthouse books by Cynthia Rylant (Thimbleberry Stories -- also adorable, colorful)

The Unicorn Secret series by Kathleen Duey

Toon Tellegan books
Pippi Longstocking

Robin Hood by David Calcutt
Lady Lollipop by Dick King-Smith (actually, I think they read most of his early on)
Beverly Cleary books
Oddfellow's Orphanage by Emily Wingfield Martin
Bunnicula series
There's an Owl in the Shower by Jean Craighead George
Mercy Watson books

Tumtum and Nutmeg books

They also read tons of read alouds and story books that had a high level of writing and I count those as much as any chapter book for reading. They also enjoyed the Barefoot Books Independent Readers books.

Edited by CaladwenEleniel
  • Like 1

Oh don't spare me! We love picture books, but for whatever reason I've always treated them as read alouds, rather than books she should pick up to read herself. (I think this just goes back to last year when she was learning through ER books, and the picture books were too hard for her, for the most part. I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Here are some of the lists that I've created that contain lots of picture books:

Our first grade literature list

Our kindergarten literature list

Reading list for preschoolers at a third grade reading level (despite the "preschooler", I made these lists meaning them for a reference for books with "safe" content but higher reading levels and good writing)

Reading list for preschoolers at a 4th/5th grade reading level

Some of my favorites from those lists:

Micawber by John Lithgow

Any of the fairy tales by Paul O. Zelinsky

Pretty much anything by William Steig, but especially Brave Irene

Minpins by Roald Dahl

• Like 1

Caladwen and Jackie, thank you!!!! Seriously, I'm drooling looking through these and I think my heart rate just doubled. I love this level of books, when we "popcorn" read they're actually fun for me too, especially those I remember from my own childhood.

(Speaking of which, my current suggestion for anyone following and at the same level, is The Witch Family, one of my favorites as a kid. SO much fun for both of us. :) We're almost done, and I'll be mourning it...)

• Like 1

Caladwen and Jackie, thank you!!!! Seriously, I'm drooling looking through these and I think my heart rate just doubled. I love this level of books, when we "popcorn" read they're actually fun for me too, especially those I remember from my own childhood.

(Speaking of which, my current suggestion for anyone following and at the same level, is The Witch Family, one of my favorites as a kid. SO much fun for both of us. :) We're almost done, and I'll be mourning it...)

How did I forget The Witch Family? My oldest adores that book. 

A couple others they reminded me about -- books by Kaye Umansky, the Arabel books by Joan Aiken, The Five Sisters by Margaret Mahy, and Witch Wars by Sibéal Pounder.

• Like 1

Puppy Place series

A to Z/Calendar Mysteries/Capital Mysteries

Cam Jansen/Young Cam Jansen

Cul-de-Sac Kids (Christian content)

American Girl Hopscotch Hill School series

Puppy Friends series

Magic School Bus

Magic Tree House

• Like 1

BEST... THREAD... EVER!

Burgess, Brambly Hedge stories sorta, we have found the Ralph mouse and some Beverly Cleary stories to be like this because of their accessibility. If you are open to Waldorf stories with fairies or gnomes there is an author named Reg Down that my kids really love, that for us fills this gap... longer chapter books for read alouds, but stories still appropriate for a 4year old to hear and be interested in...

Magic tree house! The Mercy Watson books are hilarious... We have started reading them if we have had a challenging day because they make all of us smile... :) LOTS of fantastic pictures illustrated by Chris VAn Dusen who my husband actually knew, who is a really underrated author/illustrator I think...

Edited by PagesandFields
  • Like 1

If you are open to Waldorf stories with fairies or gnomes there is an author named Reg Down that my kids really love, that for us fills this gap... longer chapter books for read alouds, but stories still appropriate for a 4year old to hear and be interested in...

I LOVE Reg Downs!! I still have such warm and fuzzy memories of curling up on the couch with DD and reading about Tiptoes and Jeremy mouse...Never thought of them as books for her to read to herself, but I bet they'd be perfect!

My daughter is at that level of reading now.  Things she has enjoyed:

My Naughty Little Sister stories

Jacob Two-Two

Noddy stories - some of the older editions have questionable aspects but this isn't so much an issue with newer ones.

The Twits

The Wednesday Witch