Menu

Ok so tell me how AP works for homeschoolers....Question added 1st post

I understand the concept of the tests and how to sign up for them, but what about the actual classes as a homeschooler?  Is there a way to do this affordably? 

-----

Is there a way to find out where various tests are offered?  My local high school does not offer many.  The neighboring high school offers a few more.  So I have two leads, but neither offer some exams I think my son would be interested in.  So how on earth do I find testing locations? 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

Absolutely.  There are many many AP course syllabi available on the internet that you can use as a starting point.   If you decide to go down the road of having "AP" on the transcript, create a syllabus and go through the process of having it approved by the College Board.  This is actually not that difficult.  You don't have to have the "AP" approval on the course to take the test.

This year, DD is taking the AP Calc AB test.  I googled online to find practice tests and some syllabi to follow.  Bought the book off Amazon for under $10.  She has worked through all the material for the course and is using this last month before the test for review and test practice.

It is very possible to self-study for these in high school, especially if the student has an interest in the material.

• Like 2

Your student can take AP classes a few different ways.

1. Prepare a class at home. I did this for my dd this year for AP Human Geography. It cost me about $80 for the textbooks I chose to use. If you use this method you can not call the class "AP" on the transcript. The transcript can say Human Geography with AP exam.

2. Study at home and send your course outline to the college board to get AP approval. You can then list he course as AP (fill in the blank).

3. Take a class online. These tend to run at least $600 or more, plus textbooks. If your child does chemistry or physics you may have to add lab supplies so the cost can increase significantly.

4. If your state/school district allows you can enroll part-time at the local school.

These are he only ways I know. I hope this answers your question 😄

Your student can take AP classes a few different ways.

1. Prepare a class at home. I did this for my dd this year for AP Human Geography. It cost me about $80 for the textbooks I chose to use. If you use this method you can not call the class "AP" on the transcript. The transcript can say Human Geography with AP exam.

2. Study at home and send your course outline to the college board to get AP approval. You can then list he course as AP (fill in the blank).

3. Take a class online. These tend to run at least $600 or more, plus textbooks. If your child does chemistry or physics you may have to add lab supplies so the cost can increase significantly.

4. If your state/school district allows you can enroll part-time at the local school.

These are he only ways I know. I hope this answers your question 😄

So how do I prepare a class at home?  Are there guidelines out there for what I should cover? 

I don't want to pay $600 for a high school course so that is out.  They don't allow part time anything in NY.  So that is out too. 

So how do I prepare a class at home?  Are there guidelines out there for what I should cover? 

I don't want to pay $600 for a high school course so that is out.  They don't allow part time anything in NY.  So that is out too. 

Start at the course home page for any AP course you are interested in.  There are detailed course descriptions and other resources for teachers.  

For example, the Course Description for AP Human Geography is 73 pages.  As you go down the course home page, there are links to the Teacher Guide, and exam resources.

• Like 1

Start at the course home page for any AP course you are interested in.  There are detailed course descriptions and other resources for teachers.  

For example, the Course Description for AP Human Geography is 73 pages.  As you go down the course home page, there are links to the Teacher Guide, and exam resources.

73 pages!  Geesh. I need to take a class to consider what kind of class to have.

73 pages!  Geesh. I need to take a class to consider what kind of class to have.

Some of them are longer.  There are parts to skim and parts to read closely.  Every course description and teacher guide starts with an explanation of AP and some topics that apply mostly to schools.  The last section is usually sample questions.  Sometimes they have the full sample syllabuses in the teacher guide.

Some courses have supplemental readings (the Comparative Government course, for example).  I printed these and used them as a supplement to the textbook and other readings we used.

I think your first step is to skim some of the course descriptions and decide which course(s) you are interested in.  For example, I passed on World History, because I don't like the focus of the course.  Look at the sample test questions and consider if the exam tests the aspects of the subject that you want to focus on.  If it doesn't, then that might not be a good subject to do AP in.

Different kids in different families have success with different AP courses.  I've had no problem with designing and teaching AP courses in history and government.  I've also done English Lit.  But even though I have an English undergrad degree, I struggle to make sense of the aims of the English Language and Composition course even when I am looking at sample syllabuses.  Other people start with sciences, because that is where their strength or their kid's interest is.

• Like 1

The Course Overview gives a 2 page description of each course, along with a couple sample questions.  http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-course-overviews/ap-human-geography-course-overview.pdf

• Like 1

Advances in AP is another good page to check occasionally.  That's where CB posts info about recent and upcoming changes to courses.  Some changes are minor tweaks.  Some are major revisions.  Some are new AP courses.

I timed our AP Euro and AP US History so that we weren't hitting both exams in the first year of a revision, because that is when there is more uncertainty about test content and less test prep material available.  (Ex, many of the AP US History test prep books have not been revised to reflect the new style of multiple choice questions.)

https://advancesinap.collegeboard.org/

• Like 1

So how do I prepare a class at home? Are there guidelines out there for what I should cover?

I looked at the College Board website first for the AP course that I was interested in (AP Human Geography). I looked at the recommended text books, searched them on Amazon, and decided on one that I felt would interest my dd. I then searched syllabi online that used the same textbook as I was going to use (many teachers post their syllabi online). I merged two syllabi together (one had many free online videos that I liked) to create my own syllabi. We will see how this has al worked out next month when dd takes the AP exam. I will say it has been her absolute favorite class this year 😄.

• Like 1

So how do I prepare a class at home? Are there guidelines out there for what I should cover?

I looked at the College Board website first for the AP course that I was interested in (AP Human Geography). I looked at the recommended text books, searched them on Amazon, and decided on one that I felt would interest my dd. I then searched syllabi online that used the same textbook as I was going to use (many teachers post their syllabi online). I merged two syllabi together (one had many free online videos that I liked) to create my own syllabi. We will see how this has al worked out next month when dd takes the AP exam. I will say it has been her absolute favorite class this year 😄.

Is it difficult to find a place to take the tests ?

I will say it depends, some school districts are very open to having others test in their schools others not so much

Sometimes better luck is had with private schools.

I will say it is also a good idea to look at the schools around as some of them rotate courses so they may offer ap US history this year and world or European the next. You don't want to study U.S. history when the schools are doing European as then it might be hard to find a school that will administer the test.

Is it difficult to find a place to take the tests ? 

It can be, which is why it's a good idea to start asking schools early in the school year. Some may give a flat out no, and some may tell you to call back later in the year, but at least you will have time to expand your search area if needed. I started calling in the fall and made final arrangements in late winter. 

On page 14 of the course description above are curricular/resource requirements. Design your syllabus to meet those. If you like one of the sample syllabi, you could also adopt and submit it, taking note of the syllabus #. Sometimes the samples are so complicated, it's easier to start from scratch and tailor it to your preferences. Edited by Mutabilis
  • Like 2

Oh great.  My district is so not friendly towards homeschoolers.

I know of several private schools though so those might be an option.

I suppose if I put up a big stink they'd get over themselves. 

Actually I would try to contact all possible sites now to see if you would have a test location for your APs in the future.  This is the biggest issue for most home-school AP classes.  Some poor folks here actually completed classes but were unable to take the exam.

Be nice when you ask them!

• Like 1

I understand the concept of the tests and how to sign up for them, but what about the actual classes as a homeschooler?  Is there a way to do this affordably? 

-----

Is there a way to find out where various tests are offered?  My local high school does not offer many.  The neighboring high school offers a few more.  So I have two leads, but neither offer some exams I think my son would be interested in.  So how on earth do I find testing locations? 

What I have usually done is just call the school and ask. Some schools are very welcoming and easy to work with.  Others put up more barriers.  Keep in mind that CB has some strict requirements about seating and test conditions that really can create a situation where there isn't room available for outside students.

I usually try to call the guidance office and ask for the AP Coordinator.  Often the person who answers phones is not positioned to be an expert on what is possible.

Things I mention when I'm calling include:

That I have a student who is taking an AP course and I'm looking for a seat for the test.

That they are experienced test takers who don't need any accommodations.

That they will have a homeschool code and that their score won't reflect on the school's average.

That I understand there will probably be a fee for the test, even if the district normally pays test fees for enrolled students.

If you are looking for an unusual exam, the AP Course Ledger might help.  https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ledger/

Also, when I get a turn down, I ask if they know another school that might have a seat available.  In the past couple of years, I've gotten good leads doing this.  One place we ended up connected with a company that proctors the exams for many districts in a large county.  Another year, I ended up speaking with the state Dept of Education AP Coordinator who eventually hooked me up with the dean of a local private school that was able to give us seats.

In most cases, this is a situation where a sweet attitude has paid off more than an oppositional one.  Remember that the school doesn't know your kid.  They don't want to unintentionally create a situation where their own students (who have also been working hard over the year) have a poor testing situation or have their scores voided because of a testing irregularity.  

ETA:  Don't take it personally if schools listed on the ledger say they aren't doing the course.  I was flipping through it and schools that were listed in 2015, but were no longer offering the course/exam are still listed for a couple of the tests we needed last year.  I don't know how the ledger gets updated.  There are multiple schools listed for Physics B, which hasn't been an official AP course for a couple years now (since it was replaced by Physics 1 and Physics 2).

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 3

Hm..this is a bit disheartening because my local school is very unfriendly to deal with. 

*sigh*

Thanks though. 

What I have usually done is just call the school and ask. Some schools are very welcoming and easy to work with.  Others put up more barriers.  Keep in mind that CB has some strict requirements about seating and test conditions that really can create a situation where there isn't room available for outside students.

I usually try to call the guidance office and ask for the AP Coordinator.  Often the person who answers phones is not positioned to be an expert on what is possible.

Things I mention when I'm calling include:

That I have a student who is taking an AP course and I'm looking for a seat for the test.

That they are experienced test takers who don't need any accommodations.

That they will have a homeschool code and that their score won't reflect on the school's average.

That I understand there will probably be a fee for the test, even if the district normally pays test fees for enrolled students.

If you are looking for an unusual exam, the AP Course Ledger might help.  https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ledger/

Also, when I get a turn down, I ask if they know another school that might have a seat available.  In the past couple of years, I've gotten good leads doing this.  One place we ended up connected with a company that proctors the exams for many districts in a large county.  Another year, I ended up speaking with the state Dept of Education AP Coordinator who eventually hooked me up with the dean of a local private school that was able to give us seats.

In most cases, this is a situation where a sweet attitude has paid off more than an oppositional one.  Remember that the school doesn't know your kid.  They don't want to unintentionally create a situation where their own students (who have also been working hard over the year) have a poor testing situation or have their scores voided because of a testing irregularity.  

Hm..this is a bit disheartening because my local school is very unfriendly to deal with. 

*sigh*

Thanks though. 

It is not uncommon for homeschoolers to have to drive a ways to find a testing location.  We drove about 90 minutes one year to get to our government exams.  

If you have to start building a network now for next year, it might be a good ground to lay.  In three years of testing, we have never used the school next door.

Oh great.  My district is so not friendly towards homeschoolers.

I know of several private schools though so those might be an option.

I suppose if I put up a big stink they'd get over themselves. 

Not necessarily, my district has a policy of NO non-students taking APs.  No matter how nice or sympathetic the coordinator is, they are not allowed to let homeschoolers test there.

Private schools vary in cost, number of tests offered, and policies.  You just have to call around until you find somewhere that works.