Menu

To keep or not to keep?

Do I keep the china?  

1. 1. Do I keep the china?

• Yes!
    • No, get rid of it

I have had a set of china for 15yrs now and never use it. It was given to me by a grandparent, now deceased. I have hung on to it for a long time and I am not a keeper of 'things'. I do not keep things I am not currently using or do not forsee myself using at any point in the future. So, why can I not rid myself of this china....it is green. My fav color.:001_smile: It is not a 'big' immediate deal, though with the 30+ jars of syrup taking up my other cabinet, I feel I have no room for anything.

Do you keep items, like china, knowing you will probably never use it?

Do you love the china or the memories attached to it?

Actually, I only like it because it has green on it. No memories attached. It also cannot be dishwashed, which for me is a downside. I have no idea why I want someone to tell me to get rid of it, because it is so easy for me to rid myself of several other things. I think it just may be the cute green color.

Do you have any dc who like it and would like for you to save it for them for when they start to keep house? If not, get rid of it.

I do not have any children out of the nest, nor close. Also, I would think they would want to use a dishwasher. Seems noone around here likes to wash any sort of dish by hand around here!:o

My general response is "get rid of it", but there are a few reasons I would consider keeping it... If you really love it (you said you love the color) and plan to use it "someday". I do lean towards getting rid of things we don't use, but if these are something you love, and they're something you very likely will use once you no longer have young children in the home, then I'd box them up and keep them. Especially if there's a sentimental connection because of the grandparent who gave them to you. If you love the color and have a sentimental attachment, but never see using them in the future (and after 15 years, I would think that you'd have found a couple of uses for them over time if you were going to), then get rid of them but consider keeping *one* piece... Are there tea cups and saucers? Or a platter you could use? Something that you could display and/or *use*?

If not. If they're just taking up space... Get rid of 'em!

Alternately, *use* them. Who cares if they're special occasion stuff and you don't have special occasions? Make Sunday dinner a special occasion! Or Friday evenings! or whatever... Just *use* them. If the color makes you happy, go for it! So what if one breaks? You were going to get rid of them anyway! :)

My general response is "get rid of it", but there are a few reasons I would consider keeping it... If you really love it (you said you love the color) and plan to use it "someday". I do lean towards getting rid of things we don't use, but if these are something you love, and they're something you very likely will use once you no longer have young children in the home, then I'd box them up and keep them. Especially if there's a sentimental connection because of the grandparent who gave them to you. If you love the color and have a sentimental attachment, but never see using them in the future (and after 15 years, I would think that you'd have found a couple of uses for them over time if you were going to), then get rid of them but consider keeping *one* piece... Are there tea cups and saucers? Or a platter you could use? Something that you could display and/or *use*?

If not. If they're just taking up space... Get rid of 'em!

Alternately, *use* them. Who cares if they're special occasion stuff and you don't have special occasions? Make Sunday dinner a special occasion! Or Friday evenings! or whatever... Just *use* them. If the color makes you happy, go for it! So what if one breaks? You were going to get rid of them anyway! :)

I have thought several times about using them, but their is noone willing to participate in the washing of them afterwards. As they have a gold trim around the edges.

This is an entire set from the tea cups to the gravey bowl to the sugar/creamer set.

On the bottom it says SONE china made in occupied Japan.

I have thought several times about using them, but their is noone willing to participate in the washing of them afterwards. As they have a gold trim around the edges.

This is an entire set from the tea cups to the gravey bowl to the sugar/creamer set.

On the bottom it says SONE china made in occupied Japan.

Yeah, but if you don't *care* if the gold trim wears off over time, there's no reason *not* to throw them in the dishwasher! :) It won't hurt the dishwasher! :D

Or there's always eBay... :)

I voted to get rid of it.

Yet I am a hypocrite. My MIL gave me her china when she moved into an assisted living place. She is 94 and lives about 1500 miles away, so she wouldn't know if I got rid of it.

Yet it is still here. I don't like it or use it and eBayers get nothing for it.

I keep thinking I *should* save it for my kids. I have a lot of stuff I am saving for them that I'd like to get rid of.

RC

Lots of good suggestions here!

One thing to consider, though, is how our tastes change over the years. If you don't love it now, you might next year. Or your dc may enjoy it because it's a family heirloom.

If you do get rid of it, I like the suggestion to try to offer it to other family members first. :)

Aggie

I voted to get rid of it.

Yet I am a hypocrite. My MIL gave me her china when she moved into an assisted living place. She is 94 and lives about 1500 miles away, so she wouldn't know if I got rid of it.

Yet it is still here. I don't like it or use it and eBayers get nothing for it.

I keep thinking I *should* save it for my kids. I have a lot of stuff I am saving for them that I'd like to get rid of.

RC

cheerleader-108.gif Purge, RC, Purge!!!! Lighten your load!! Make space for the things you love!! Save your kids from having to decide whether or not to keep something!! You can do it!!! cheerleader-108.gif

Is there anyone else in the family who might appreciate having it? Perhaps a cousin who shares memories of this grandparent? I know that when my great aunt died (I was very close to her) I was quite sad that I did not get anything tangible to remind me of her. If I heard that my cousin (her granddaughter) threw away, donated, sold, whatever some china, I may be a bit sad that she didn't think to ask me if I wanted it first.

Some china can be washed in the dishwasher even with gold trim. Noritake, for instance, advertises that their china is dishwasher safe. I think Lenox makes the same claim. IIRC, the caution they give is that the heat from the drying process is what is hard on the trim, so they recommend you use an air-dry cycle. Some dishwashers even have a special cycle for washing china.

I don't think I would wash The Family Heirloom Passed Down Through The Ages china in the d/w (I don't have any of that, anyway!)

BUT...if you: think it's pretty, think it would be fun to use for special occasions, can turn off the drying cycle on your d/w, and won't be heartbroken if the trim wears out before the rest of it?? You might want to consider using it and enjoying it till it wears out.

Yeah, but if you don't *care* if the gold trim wears off over time, there's no reason *not* to throw them in the dishwasher! :) It won't hurt the dishwasher! :D

Or there's always eBay... :)

I chuck my china into the dishwasher. the gold very slowly wears away, but it gets used, and that is what the plates are for!

I voted to get rid of it, but only because of what you said! I have a hard time getting rid of things -- I'm always afraid I'll need them and, sure enough, as soon as they're gone, I do! But you said yourself you're not the pack rat type, so . . . :D

For what it's worth, we use our gold-trimmed china at least 3 times a year and I always put it through the dishwasher. It still looks brand new!

I vote that you keep it and break it in a bit! I find that the more I use mine, the more I want to use it. It's hard to think about using it when it's been sitting in the cupboard and is so dusty it has to be washed first. :)

Some china can be washed in the dishwasher even with gold trim. Noritake, for instance, advertises that their china is dishwasher safe. I think Lenox makes the same claim. IIRC, the caution they give is that the heat from the drying process is what is hard on the trim, so they recommend you use an air-dry cycle. Some dishwashers even have a special cycle for washing china.

I don't think I would wash The Family Heirloom Passed Down Through The Ages china in the d/w (I don't have any of that, anyway!)

BUT...if you: think it's pretty, think it would be fun to use for special occasions, can turn off the drying cycle on your d/w, and won't be heartbroken if the trim wears out before the rest of it?? You might want to consider using it and enjoying it till it wears out.

:iagree: I was going to say this as well. If you're going to get rid of it anyway try using it first and putting it through the dw w/o the drying cycle and see what happens! :D