Menu

What have you stocked up on?

I made a list the other day of what I have extra on hand. My parents (of course) have always kept a big supply. They're always prepared to feed company, without having to run to the store or pay top price for what they need. Frankly, I've gotten tired of having to run to the store for things all the time, so I've started keeping well stocked.

Basics for a well stocked home—mine ;)

I have on hand downstairs/storage:

25# oatmeal

25#farina (cream of wheat)

50# soft ww grain

25# winter wheat grain

25# red wheat grain

honey

sugar

brown sugar

powdered sugar

Cocoa/hot chocolate

bread flour (I use 1/3 of that in my bread)

canned tomatoes

tomato sauce

tomato paste

canned vegetables- green beans, creamed corn, kernel corn

a few canned fruits besides pineapple which I use in sweet/sour sauces

baking powder

baking soda

canned beans- black, refried, kidney

dried pinto beans, split peas, navy beans

catsup

jam

pasta

rice

prepared 'homemade' noodles ('round' in a plastic bag)

canned salmon

foil packed tuna

vegetable oil

olive oil

coconut oil

Pam

popcorn

peanut butter

chocolate chips

toilet paper

vinegar

parsley -do you know how much makes a lb?? :)

chili powder, cumin, garlic, curry, basil, thyme

Salt, pepper

Dried blueberries/cherries

freezer has:

hamburger, italien sausage, chicken and some other meats

strawberries, blueberries, raspberries

mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese

butter

yeast

Other items:

toothpaste

soap

laundry soap

Tina

What's not to get about stocking up?

Taking advantage of sales, making sure if there are shortages they won't be at your house, having meals planned and the food to make them.

quote]

I don't shop sales...truth be told, I don't have the time or the gas for it. I shop at Wegmans (where I work) and BJs (three stores down from Wegmans). Shortages? As in the global market supply? Or shortages in my own home? Global market supply isn't on my radar. I plan a menu for 3 weeks at a time, and could easily stretch it to 5 weeks in an emergency (dried beans and rice, you know). My "stock" has nothing to do with "stocking up"...it has to do with "having it available when I need it." I have lots of Nori seaweed sheets, for example. Not what one would think of as emergency rations, but certainly important when the sushi bug hits, lol.

Ria

A shortage is a shortage. Whether it's at your house or global. Having it available when you need it no matter what's on your radar.

Chocolate chips yet? Ah, yes, I see that someone has ....

I've got 30 bags ready to be picked up. If we're going to have a time of shortages, chocolate sure isn't one of the things I want to be without!

:)

Edited by Chika

Another comment from hurricane country:

I live on a barrier island so I regularly stock up not only because of storms but because I don't like having to drive to buy a simple ingredient. In addition to a well stocked pantry of non-perishables, I have ziploc bags of local fruit in the freezer, ingredients for pies and cobblers in the colder months ahead. Frankly I'd rather stock up on local produce than items from the grocery.

Jane

just before my 2y/o twins were born knowing last minute trips to the store would be difficult. I am a firm believer in this. We have continued to do this every since. Needless to say it makes my life so much easier because I can make whatever I need without last minute trips. But more importantly is the financial aspect. My husband has always been on commission and for the most part we do okay but there are months ( like christmas time and september) when he may not do well enough. We fall back on our food storage because that is a place in the budget we can cut. Also with the recent economic turn we are really being hit hard. Thank heavens we have food stored because it would be awful to see my children go hungry. That right there is the more than enough reason to have food storage.

Annamrie

ds 10

dd 8

dd6

ds2

ds2

Guest kacifl
:iagree:

I do like to stock up on toilet paper though. Nothing worse than running out of toilet paper! ;)

I read a good toilet paper stocking tip on the web: when you are storing tp, smash in down flat. This way you can stack more packages. Don't worry about them being flat... when it is time for placing on the holder, you squeeze the roll and it will take shape again. This is good news for apt. dweller, stockers!

Well I don't really stock up for emergencies, but if we had one, I'd be prepared, all except the water part. :glare:

We froze blueberries & strawberries when they were in season. I canned 32 pints and 4 quarts of salsa. 14 Quarts & 7 pints of apples sauce. 12 pint jars of hot pepper jelly, froze apples. I buy bulk from a food co-op, so we have rice, different varieties of beans, oatmeal in bulk. I have quite a bit of beef (we buy it 1/4 at a time) So over all, we could live for quite a while before our pantries were bear.

Phlox

We always stock up on non-perishable items this time of year. It has nothing to do with the current economic crisis. Perhaps it's because I grew up in a largely Mormon populated area, and all our neighbors had full pantries. Maybe it's because of all those issues of Farm & Ranch Living I used to read with the diaries of the Amish families and those full shelves. Whatever might be the case, I love having my shelves full, organized and that feeling of being prepared. And one more important thing: it keeps me out of the grocery store and out of the car. Every time I get in the car, it costs money. Fewer trips, less money. Plus I'm not so tempted to pick up that item that I want but don't really need.

A couple years ago, my dh lost his job right after Christmas. He went back to work in March, but during the time he was off, the only items I had to buy were milk, eggs, cheese and some fresh produce. It was a huge help.

It could become paranoia, but I don't see that here. I see it as planning ahead, being resourceful and a good manager.

Janet

We lost everything in the fridge and freezer. Stores are still not completely stocked in the refrigerated/freezer sections. I got the last two packages of chicken breasts at the store this week. And they were small packages! I can't believe how bare my fridge and freezer are. My pantry is low, too, because I decided to clean it out and throw out all those things that expired back in 2006!

My question is now that I am stocked up how do I organize and rotate? I have 3 pantries. I keep one pantry of canned goods, p.butter etc. The other one with baking supplies and breakfast cereal, oatmeal etc. I keep my kitchenpantry with the basics of beans, tomatoes, pasta, rice, sauce, broth and weekly needs etc. I also have double sinks in each bathroom so there is a lot of storage in those cabinets to keep extra t.paper, cleaning supplies, shampoo, soap etc.

You all have motivated me to do some stocking up for this winter. I only live about 5 minutes from a grocery store, but I also live on a dead end which is off of a dead end. Meaning: no snow plows get down here and I have to either wait for a trash truck to pack the snow down or attempt it in my little car on my own. SO, I'm checking into freezer prices and making room in my hall closet for non-perishables. I think it'll save me money, time and frustration when it gets cold.

We have been stocking up on just about everything.

We have always had (since we married) at least a year's supply of food--grains, beans, sugars, powdered milk, oils, salt, canned fruits, meats, peanut butter, insulin (dh is type 1 diabetic). After the first few years, we realized we wanted a much wider variety of foods. We've added freeze dried eggs, butter, vegetables, berries, meats.

We have a very good friend in the banking industry who warned us this was coming back in February, so we have been really expanding since then. We've bought clothes and shoes for ds16 and dd12 for the next two years. Younger dds will have the hand-me-downs. We're storing kerosene (enough to heat the house this winter) and gasoline (we have an outbuilding far away from the house). I bought more canning supplies. We already have school books and supplies for a few years out.

If the worst happens, we are prepared. If it doesn't, we have made a good investment in food and peace of mind. I don't know of anyone who believes that food prices are going to decrease. I don't even know of anyone who believes the government/media tripe that food prices have only increased 3-5% in the past year. Right now, my food storage is looking like a very good financial investment.

Jennifer

My question is now that I am stocked up how do I organize and rotate? I have 3 pantries. I keep one pantry of canned goods, p.butter etc. The other one with baking supplies and breakfast cereal, oatmeal etc. I keep my kitchenpantry with the basics of beans, tomatoes, pasta, rice, sauce, broth and weekly needs etc. I also have double sinks in each bathroom so there is a lot of storage in those cabinets to keep extra t.paper, cleaning supplies, shampoo, soap etc.

I just do FIFO -- First In First Out. Line 'em up like little soldiers and the one in the front goes first. New stuff goes in the back.