Menu

Ugh, another ?? This time, time zones on invitations

Prairie~Phlox

I had dd's open house invitations & graduation invitations printed and did not include that it was EST, we have family that is on central time, so do I just put a note in the envelope that says (time is Eastern Standard Times) in only the cards that have a different time or suggestions on wording, or just text them all & remind that it's EST. wwyd?

Since you've caught it early, I'd go ahead and put a note in the envelope.  Just use your computer to make a nicely laid out little note, and cut it to size - you can probably fit four on a page if needed.  If you want fancy paper, you can take the original to a copy shop and get copies on fancy paper.  That way, everyone has all the info in one place.

Agree with purpleowl - if I go to my niece's wedding in California, I'm not going to need to be reminded that it's going to be Pacific time even though I live in the Eastern time zone.

ETA: I don't think I've ever seen the time zone listed on any invitation.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

I also don't think you need to worry about it.  Physical, real-life events are always set in the time zone that the event is in.  You only need a time zone if people are participating virtually. I'd be surprised to see a time zone listed on a wedding or graduation announcement.

• Like 6

I wouldn't worry unless the family is unlikely to travel and will be watching graduation online. It might be nice to remind them so they don't miss it. I've never actually seen EDT on an invitation before. (Right now its EDT not EST.) It's assumed the event will be in local time.

If your family is like my inlaws (they live in one time zone but go to church and do most of your business in another time zone) I would send a text. Their cell phones are not reliable as a time keeper because the time it shows depends on which tower they get their signal from.

• Like 1

If your family is like my inlaws (they live in one time zone but go to church and do most of your business in another time zone) I would send a text. Their cell phones are not reliable as a time keeper because the time it shows depends on which tower they get their signal from.

That is so cool!

Sort of. They tend to run late all the time so it can be quite difficult making arrangements with them. Fortunately they know I'm a stickler for time so if the plans involve me, they try much harder to be on time. The whole time zone thing can be quite confusing though.

Edited by Rach

Add me to those who think that it's not necessary to specify time zone unless it's a virtual event. I would be really surprised if someone included a time zone on an invitation for a physical event. I would automatically assume it's in the time zone for the location the event is being held at.