Menu

Anyone else tear up at the end of House at Pooh Corner?

The last two pages got me! I never read it as a child so I really associate Pooh with the Disney image. I enjoy a lot of the books but frankly not everything so I didn't expect to be so moved by it. I read DS the first book around 4 and he's had the audio version in constant rotation as his nightly going to sleep cd. For some reason I never bought the next book until now. I was worried when I saw the title of the last chapter that it would be sad but I was still surprised how much it got to me. Of course DS had no idea of the subtlety of what was going on and was far more interested in doing math and telling me that when Pooh was 100 Christopher Robin would be 101. Did it get to anyone else?

• Like 5

Oh yes, I sobbed! This was about 20 years ago when my twins were 5. They could not figure out what was wrong with me, and after I reassured them, they began laughing at me! It's my most vivid memory of reading aloud to them. Since then, I've read it aloud to my other children and tear up every time.

• Like 2

My youngest was the only one who understood the ending as a toddler/preschooler. Try it again when your son is a bit older.

Maybe my dd27 will "get it" when she has kids of her own.

• Like 1

Oh yes, it makes me choke up every time (and by every time I mean I read it more than once on my own, I've read it aloud with my kids, and they frequently have the audiobook going and I overhear). A.A. Milne is far and away my favourite author... no one expresses things like he does!

• Like 2

Yes. I cry every single time at the end. The dedications make me teary too.

Then again, I cry at everything. I can't read the part in The Last Battle about "once in our world, a stable held something bigger than itself" without losing it. Shoot, today I choked up a bit when I was describing how the tiny tribe of Benjamin stuck with Judah when the northern kingdom split. It takes nothing to make me emotional.

• Like 3

I can't read that one. It's on the banned book list. My kids get very upset when I cry, so any sad book gets banned. Charlotte's Web is to blame...read while pregnant, and that book has **so** much foreshadowing that I cried for the last 20 minutes of read-aloud.

• Like 2

I just finished that one earlier this month. My 5yo was very solemn over that chapter. He definitely absorbed the meaning more than his older siblings did when they were the little.

DS5 is "the baby," and it was his personal read aloud, but everyone else's pencils would stop moving when I'd read it. There would be random snickers from the kitchen or around the hall while I read with DS5 snuggled on my lap.

"Christopher Robin grew up. DS5 has listened to every tale. We could pass the books onto a family with littles." DD15 yelped, "NO!! You're -not- allowed to get rid of those books until you've read them to MY children someday."

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 3

Yes. I cry every single time at the end. The dedications make me teary too.

Then again, I cry at everything. I can't read the part in The Last Battle about "once in our world, a stable held something bigger than itself" without losing it. Shoot, today I choked up a bit when I was describing how the tiny tribe of Benjamin stuck with Judah when the northern kingdom split. It takes nothing to make me emotional.

This is me. I cry every time I read, hear, or recite "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus. Can NOT get through that without bawling. My kids think this is hilarious. When we do Poetry Tea, they say, "Hey, Mommy, why don't you read 'The New Colossus' again?" Because they know I will bawl.

http://www.libertystatepark.com/emma.htm

I also cry every time we read the part in the Bible where Joseph reveals his identity to his brothers, who sold him into slavery (Genesis 44 & 45). Can't get through it.

I cry at the end of Charlotte's Web. I know the spider dies, duh, but I still cry.

I cry towards the end of A Cricket in Times Square, where Chester says, "I'm feeling Septemberish."

I cried when we got to the end of our biography on Johann Sebastian Bach. Just. fell. apart.

And, yes, I cry at the end of Pooh Corner. Sniff, sniff.

"Rise, Sir Pooh de Bear, most faithful of all my Knights."

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 3

Just read it this morning! I did get teary but not as bad as when I read it to my oldest four years ago. He got it and this one didn't and was bouncing around like Tigger and being distracting. When I explained it to him, I did get a little wistful when he told me that he would *never* stop playing with his stuffed animals.

(Edited autocorrect fail)

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 2

I made it through Pooh Corner without crying, but DD was disappointed there was no more to read, but The Little Prince gets me every time. Ever since I was about 8 and first read it. DD looked at me like I'd lost my mind, because I really don't cry over much. (I really thought I could make it through! I tried!) I also teared up at the end of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (though I managed not to cry until after DD fell asleep - she was 4 and didn't notice), and part of Hurry Home, Candy. She gave Candy away at the first opportunity, and wouldn't even keep it in her room after we finished it because she felt it was too sad.

• Like 1

When we finished this recently, my 7 yr old daughter didn't get why I was getting choked up.

But my 10 yr old boy just looked at me, blinked, and said "He's growing up. Isn't he? He's getting too big for his imaginary friends isn't he?" And his eyes welled up.

And every night since then he's fallen asleep with his favourite stuffed Duckie snuggled in his arms (before House at Pooh Corner, he had been sleeping with his blankie and Duckie stuffed under his pillow).

*sob sob*

• Like 2

I always cry at that. 

When my childhood box set fell apart, I bought a new coloured one that had a sequel. I was fully prepared to be utterly prejudiced against it, but, while it *was* different, it was different in the right way for a little school boy version.

• Like 1

Its on the "banned story list", along with The Velveteen Rabbit. As far as DS15 is concerned, they are all still living in Pooh Corner and Christopher Robin is still in short pants. I cry through most of AA Milne, especially the poem about the dragons........