Menu

Is there a 2016-2017 planning thread?

Today is the last day of the 3rd grade for my DS9.

I also feel "underachieving" compared to some of you, but we are still ahead of the average, so I'll post.

Math: BA 4 and 5; Mathematics A Human Endeavor.

History: continue Ancients. SOTW1, Spielvogel and other books from picture books to early college textbooks

Science: Botany (Quark Chronicles, McHenry, Raven's Biology of plants) + gardening

English: CTY Young Readers + something else, I think. He needs something for punctuation.

French: Amis et compagnie with a tutor

Russian Saturday school (Russian language, literature, history, plus some 5th grade math and art)

PE: fencing

Ds did not look very fancy in third grade. We were far more average appearing since he hadn't really taken the reigns at that point. I am sure that when your kiddo finds their thing, you might be holding on for dear life to keep up :)

• Like 4

I'm just starting to think in this direction...

17 yr old will be a senior at the high school he attends that is connected to a university

classes at the university in the fall: Calculus, a composition class, international studies and/or history

at the university in the spring: probably art and more calculus... maybe a third class of his choice

classes at the high school for the year: Spanish 3, PE, Physics, and possibly another engineering class

14 yr old

History and Literature Sonlight Core 100

Writing on online class

Math probably an online class "retake" of the Algebra 1 and Geometry that she did on her own this year because I really want it to be solid (or Alg II if the stars align and she's confident)

Science not sure yet... probably something related to Physics

French French in Action (she's ecstatic that I'm letting her "drop" Latin)

she wants to learn to play tennis, so I'm going to find a way to get her lessons

continuing her music with wild abandon

10 year old

History and Literature Sonlight Core 3 and 4 mashup with books from his sister's Core 100

Writing Cover Story and Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Math Singapore Primary Math 5 and Beast Academy 5

Latin Ecce Romani 1B

he also wants to learn to play tennis

I'm thinking of making him take piano lessons (it would definitely be against his will, though...)

6 year old

History and Literature listening in on some of Core 3/4 with added simpler books on her level

Spelling All About Spelling and cursive handwriting instruction

Math Singapore Primary Math 2

continuing violin lessons

• Like 1

You've got three! There is no way you should consider yourself underachieving. If I had three, I'd be lucky if I could locate my own pants.

Looking at your picture, locating your pants must be hard enough with just your one kid. ;)

• Like 2

Ok, I'm having a summer planning crisis.  :laugh: I think it's because my almost 6 year olds will be home as well next year, and we are still in our tiny house and I don't know what to buy and where to put everything. 

Right now, I'm obsessing over DS 9 (10 in Nov.)

I just signed him up for the Harry Potter Sociology course at Athena's.  And honestly, that's the only thing I'm still sure about!

- I need help with what to do after GSWS, considering Home School Spanish Academy, but also SYTYWTLS.

- Math!  (Always.) He's almost done with Jousting Armadillos.  Do I go on to AoPS Pre-A or Counting Coconuts?  He requested more LoF :cursing: 

- Grammar, is it necessary?  We did MCT Island and Town, took a break this year because we were underwhelmed with the Voyage samples.  Was seriously considering the Literature level, but I am not even sure which components I'd want to buy.

- Kids Write Basics from BW.  Is this worth it?  I have a Creative Writing degree and The Writer's Jungle, so I keep thinking "I should be able to do this without the $200 course." :lol: However, he was very interested in the description and thinks it would be good, so that's why I'm leaning towards doing it.  The only writing we did last year was Friday free-writes. 

Things he said he wanted to do at our learning meeting the other day -

1. Chemistry - he loves the MEL Science Chemistry sets.  I need to beef this up a bit with books, but I've yet to research this.  He does NOT like workbooks or anything scripty/scheduled/school-like. Any ideas?  I showed him Real Science and he turned his nose up. :glare:

2. He requested a National Geographic subscription, and he will research things that interest him.  (This is easy and doable)

3. Cooking - no problem, in theory. 

4. Google Time - Basically he wants 30 minutes a day to look things up on Google. :laugh:

5. He also mentioned getting his telescope out so maybe we will do some astronomy as well.  I don't know where to start with this for the middle school/high school level.

He's what I affectionately call "work averse." I don't want to be too rigorous, but we need to ramp it up a little bit.  We were very laid back this past year, which was a good reset for me, but now I need to start building in some challenge and stuff that produces a little bit of output.

11th grader (wow, guess it's time to update my sig now that 10th grade classes are done):

At home: Saxon Advanced Mathematics (year-long), possibly study for macroeconomics CLEP (fall)

Dual enrollment at community college--

fall

• Eng 111 (intro writing)
  • A required transfer success half-semester class
  • elementary ASL 1 and lab

spring

• Eng 112 (intro argument-based writing)
  • elementary ASL 2 and lab
  • science, either geology or descriptive astronomy
  • a history class, tbd

extracurriculars:  Girl Scouts, aikido, possibly a tech theater class with local children's theatre

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 2

Hmmmm. Thought I had responded to this.

We've been planning and re-planning for the past couple months but I think we finally have our plan.

Dd (9th grade)

English: With a tutor and at home- I have an AP English Lit course syllabus prepared but dd has so much she wants to study including Medieval literature to go with her history course so might focus more in the AP thing next year.

Science: Spectrum Chemistry

History: History of the Medieval World and Great Courses plus some Middle Ages art and literature study.

AP Music Theory: PA Homeschoolers

French: Breaking the Barrier

Irish Gaelic: Not exactly sure- May not do as a high school credit but more in her spare time as an interest. Will be learning online with a friend in Ireland.

Math: May skip this year or do an SAT/ACT review program. Not sure my music/humanities girl needs Pre-Calc but will decide next year.

• Like 4

Ok, I'm having a summer planning crisis.  :laugh: I think it's because my almost 6 year olds will be home as well next year, and we are still in our tiny house and I don't know what to buy and where to put everything. 

I just signed him up for the Harry Potter Sociology course at Athena's.  And honestly, that's the only thing I'm still sure about!

- I need help with what to do after GSWS, considering Home School Spanish Academy, but also SYTYWTLS.

- Math!  (Always.) He's almost done with Jousting Armadillos.  Do I go on to AoPS Pre-A or Counting Coconuts?  He requested more LoF :cursing:

- Grammar, is it necessary?  We did MCT Island and Town, took a break this year because we were underwhelmed with the Voyage samples.  Was seriously considering the Literature level, but I am not even sure which components I'd want to buy.

- Kids Write Basics from BW.  Is this worth it?  I have a Creative Writing degree and The Writer's Jungle, so I keep thinking "I should be able to do this without the $200 course." :lol: However, he was very interested in the description and thinks it would be good, so that's why I'm leaning towards doing it.  The only writing we did last year was Friday free-writes. 

1. Chemistry - he loves the MEL Science Chemistry sets.  I need to beef this up a bit with books, but I've yet to research this.  He does NOT like workbooks or anything scripty/scheduled/school-like. Any ideas?  I showed him Real Science and he turned his nose up. :glare:

2. He requested a National Geographic subscription, and he will research things that interest him.  (This is easy and doable)

4. Google Time - Basically he wants 30 minutes a day to look things up on Google. :laugh:

5. He also mentioned getting his telescope out so maybe we will do some astronomy as well.  I don't know where to start with this for the middle school/high school level.

He's what I affectionately call "work averse." I don't want to be too rigorous, but we need to ramp it up a little bit.  We were very laid back this past year, which was a good reset for me, but now I need to start building in some challenge and stuff that produces a little bit of output.

What about Spectrum or Rainbow Chemistry? I haven't used it, and it isn't secular, but I thought that the labs were supposed to be good. Kathy and others have used it.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

DS will likely be going to Dutch school in the Fall. I'm looking at another school possibility which has "highly able students" pull-out enrichment. And if I get him in for ADHD testing (finally) maybe someone will run an IQ test, which would open up the gifted school as a possibility.

But my tentative plans for the Fall:

The school will take care of Dutch, PE, music/art, and a bit of science. So my plans for afterschooling are - 

Start aops Pre-A

Megawords (maybe, the samples seem like they'll be a good fit)

LfC - pick back up with A and see how it goes. Add in headaventureland.

I have the old Easy Grammar 4/5 somewhere. So maybe some of that.

I've been checking out some upcoming science EdX classes. Maybe I'll sign him up for one of those. But I think for it to work I'll have to sit and do it with him. Maybe I can get DH to do that.  ;)

French? Greek? I picked up some intro French stuff and games here in England, so maybe we'll do a bit of that. And maybe we'll start going through some Greek again. 

And some English writing/composition in there somewhere.  :001_cool:

I have CTC's Building Thinking Skills 2 somewhere too, I think. Everything is in boxes or stored somewhere!

Hopefully, next year we'll have some consistency, both in life and in school.

• Like 2

DD#1 (2nd grade):

* MM 5

* Finish FLL 4 (if she hasn't already); R&S English 5

* Finish Lively Latin 1, start Lively Latin 2

* Finish Logic Liftoff; Orbiting with Logic

DD#2 (pre-K):

* MM 2

* FLL 2 (and maybe 3, depends on how quickly she goes through 2)

Both girls:

* US states study

* Physics Experiments for Children

* Literature & writing - mom-selected books, narrations/summaries, maybe some novel studies

* Choir

* Piano

* Math Circle

DS (pre-pre-pre-K ;)):

* Lots of exploring the world, coloring, talking about shapes and colors and letters and numbers

* Choir (not as an official participant, but he loves watching and sings all the songs at home!)

I feel like I'm forgetting stuff, but maybe I'm not.

Well, most of this is still the plan. ;)

DD#1 will not be doing Math Mammoth any longer. I finally decided to try BA 3A, and she loves it, whereas we'd reached the point of math causing tears with MM. So she'll be doing BA 3 for 16-17. 

I'm also looking into possibilities for an art class for her. She seems to have both aptitude and interest, and I...don't. ;) Still in the research stage for that, so we'll see if anything comes of it.

• Like 2

Well, we dropped the one thing I was sure of. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He was hesitant about the material, he's really sensitive about race issues and injustices so I decided to hold off a year on the sociology thing. (It just makes him really uncomfortable to talk about, and he has anxiety so I don't want to stack the deck against him right now.)

I will say that I've had a sort of epiphany about the whole "unschooly' dream I constantly have.  I watch Julie Bogart scopes and she talks a lot about unschooling, and how it was great for some of her kids.  However, she also mentioned that when she went back to college, it felt so nice that the prof had done all the work to gather the information and present it to her.  She didn't have to do the leg work, she just had to sit back and learn.  It was a light bulb moment for me because I think some, if not most of DS struggle with school (as in not wanting to do it) comes from my lack of proper planning in order to make the material engaging.  Early on, I did the legwork, and he still didn't enjoy it, so I think I got kind of lazy about it.  My goal this year is to try to really get into teaching the material, and see how that changes our home school.  I'm under no delusion that it will make anything easy, but I see now where I've dropped the ball a bit. (DS is fine academically, so I'm not beating myself up over this, just noticing and correcting. :))

I'm ending up close-ish to where I started when I posted a few months ago, but I have changed a few things.  I'm going to order soon so that I stop obsessing over everything.

• Like 3

DD will be 6. We've started changing up our subjects on a six week rotation, with four classes (slots) per six week session, which basically means I have no idea what we'll be doing.

Slot 1: Spanish. By mutual agreement, this will always be a subject. Homeschool Spanish Academy 3x weekly, Spanish picture books, a few workbooks we picked up in Honduras, Spanish shows, hopefully finding a local conversation group, another immersion trip next winter. The goal is to be conversationally fluent by the end of the 2016-17 school year.

Slots 2 and 3: chosen by DD. I know she wants to try her first Athena's class in the fall. Between now and then, she has chosen to learn typing and paragraph writing in preparation for taking an online class. After that, I suspect she'll fill her choices with science, history, and art.

Slot 4: chosen by me. Probably a rotation of English and Math topics. My general goals for the year are to find her lost love for math, and develop basic writing skills so she can be more confident in her independent writing. If I get bored with English and Math, I'll pick chess for one session :)

She will continue her pile of "extras": mostly gymnastics and dance. We're going to attempt to conquer her fear of water this summer; if successful, we'll add regular swim lessons to the lineup. She wants some tennis and soccer in there as well. Continuing piano lessons. Piles of field trips. She wants to add choir, an art class, and a science enrichment class in the fall. I'm thinking we need to discuss how much stuff she can actually fit in.

And our "sneaky school stuff": Logic games, board games, read alouds, giant piles of nonfiction books, iPad apps, documentaries

Looking at this, I'm surprised how much I haven't changed in the last couple months. ;)

Spanish is the same.

I've given up having a rotating "slot" and decided to have math and LA be constants. Math will be BA, with lots of side trails and "days off" using living books and other fun math. LA will be a combo of MCT and Brave Writer.

DD decided one of her slots will be the Intermediate Lit class at Athena's. The other will still rotate through whatever she wants every six weeks-ish.

I've given warning that her extracurricular wish list just won't happen. She will still have at least one thing every day, but if we did everything she wanted, not only would we have 2-4 things every day, but she would also frequently need to be in two places at once. When all the schedules come out at the end of summer, we'll sit down and see what reasonably fits.

• Like 4

Looking at this, I'm surprised how much I haven't changed in the last couple months. ;)

Spanish is the same.

I've given up having a rotating "slot" and decided to have math and LA be constants. Math will be BA, with lots of side trails and "days off" using living books and other fun math. LA will be a combo of MCT and Brave Writer.

DD decided one of her slots will be the Intermediate Lit class at Athena's. The other will still rotate through whatever she wants every six weeks-ish.

I've given warning that her extracurricular wish list just won't happen. She will still have at least one thing every day, but if we did everything she wanted, not only would we have 2-4 things every day, but she would also frequently need to be in two places at once. When all the schedules come out at the end of summer, we'll sit down and see what reasonably fits.

I have 3 kids, and I've had to limit them to one music and one sport.  The sports are seasonal so it's usually just music.  We just don't have the time or the money honestly!

We're unschoolers....

My rising 4th grader will finish MEP5 and MEP6 and CWP5 and CWP6. We also did some of "Crossing The River With Dogs". Also, very surprisingly we did all of "Hands On Geometry" and some of Serra's 1st ed "Discoverring Geometry". DS requested to do all 'hard' geometry this summer.

I am looking for counting and probability to do. AOPS is too advanced. "Chances Are" is too formulaic. MEP5 had lots of probability paired with lots of D&D... that was frankly ideal this spring... I think looking at the central tendency for a d12vs 2d6 might be an ideal way to introduce various distributions. I'll probably go back and do some CSMP. The problem about the odds of breaking a stick in a way that makes a triangle is one of my favorite elementary probability problems[1].

Next year, I want to teach science using a text book. We'll either use "Prentice Hall Earth Science" by Tarbuck or "Conceptual Physics".

[1] Look at page 87 of http://stern.buffalostate.edu/CSMPProgram/String%20Games%20and%20MiniComputer/csmpstatsr.pdf

• Like 2

We're unschoolers....

My rising 4th grader will finish MEP5 and MEP6 and CWP5 and CWP6. We also did some of "Crossing The River With Dogs". Also, very surprisingly we did all of "Hands On Geometry" and some of Serra's 1st ed "Discoverring Geometry". DS requested to do all 'hard' geometry this summer.

I am looking for counting and probability to do. AOPS is too advanced. "Chances Are" is too formulaic. MEP5 had lots of probability paired with lots of D&D... that was frankly ideal this spring... I think looking at the central tendency for a d12vs 2d6 might be an ideal way to introduce various distributions. I'll probably go back and do some CSMP. The problem about the odds of breaking a stick in a way that makes a triangle is one of my favorite elementary probability problems[1].

Next year, I want to teach science using a text book. We'll either use "Prentice Hall Earth Science" by Tarbuck or "Conceptual Physics".

[1] Look at page 87 of http://stern.buffalostate.edu/CSMPProgram/String%20Games%20and%20MiniComputer/csmpstatsr.pdf

We are enjoying math a lot currently.  We always do math, but there are seasons where ds wants to spend hours doing it.  I recently printed CSMP, but have not introduced it because he has other early maths to finish and I do not understand the minicomputer thing at all.  I need to read more about it on the site, but am glad to see someone else recommend it.

Huge dose of nostalgia here. Almost exactly what DS did around that age (3rd-4th). I was very surprised by his drive to complete all of Hands on Geometry too. He loved that workbook. Good times. :thumbup: Hope your DS has a great geometry-rich summer!

Edited by quark
  • Like 2

We just moved cross country a month ago so I am so behind on everything. And we are still trying to finish up some things for this year. Anyway, this thread was some much needed motivation to at least start my planning. I am adding a student this year although he is my average boy. We also just moved to a college town so I want to make sure and leave some space for new opportunities. Additionally, we moved to acreage with a completely different ecosystem than before so I also want to focus this year on nature study. This was enthusiastically requested by all three of my boys. :)

DS #1 (8 years old)

Math: AOPS Pre-A, Calculus for Young People, The Pleasures of Counting, Hands on Geometry?, what else? sigh

French: various

Latin: Minimus

AO Year 3

Science: Sigh...my head hurts. I am thinking

Nature Notebook: Working through Laws Guide to Nature Study and Journaling

Some sort of WW2 study and some Indiana state history

Robotics?

Piano

DS #2 (6 Years Old)

Math: rest of Miquon, Beast 3, non-traditional resources

French

AO Year 2

Science: In depth nature study and journaling

Indiana state history

Piano

DS #3 (5 yrs in Sept.-Kindy year)

Miquon

Learning to Read

All the AO stuff with his brothers- morning time, composer study, art study, poetry, nature study, etc.

Starting Nature Notebook

ETA: Oh yeah...I forgot about books. Add in a couple hundred of those and we're good. :)

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 1

Alright, I've ordered, it's done. (Until the first week when it all falls apart.)

DS 9 (10 in November) I was hoping to not plan so much, but my intuition says this is closer to what he needs this year. We have never done formal science so we're trying it out. We'll see how it goes!

Math// Counting Coconuts, Kahn Academy, Murderous Maths, and LoF (Maybe Hands on Geometry or equations if we go through Chuckles too fast)
Science// Story of Science: Aristotle online at GHF; National Geographic studies led by DS; MEL chemistry sets; Astronomy also led by him (still figuring this one out)
Spanish// Duolingo transitioning to Homeschool Spanish Academy along with some beginning Spanish readers
Language Arts// Faltering Ownership and Kidswrite Basic plus a giant Lit list put together from AO, Great Books Academy, and BW arrows and Boomerangs
History// US history using joy hakim set as a jumping off point
Computer science // scratch
Also, KWT and beginning cursive
Double Bass and hip hop forever!

I'm sure parts of this plan will get dropped to make time for what interests him/rabbit trails, but I feel like it's a good place to start.

DD & DS 6
Miquon and some Montessori materials
Jot it Down
AO book list
Song School Spanish
All About Spelling / work with Montessori moveable alphabet
Nature Journaling
Montessori inspired map work
Lots of art!

Not as out of the box as I had hoped, but maybe I just don't work that way. :)

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 1

We are enjoying math a lot currently.  We always do math, but there are seasons where ds wants to spend hours doing it.  I recently printed CSMP, but have not introduced it because he has other early maths to finish and I do not understand the minicomputer thing at all.  I need to read more about it on the site, but am glad to see someone else recommend it.

CSMP is really hard to figure out even with the 300+ page teachers guide. I think a lot of the stuff is too clever by half. I think there are easier ways to teach negative numbers than the whole peanut/anti-peanut, numbers with hats thing. There is way too much taxicab geometry. I get it... it teaches combinatorics and how to use an unfamiliar axiom system but MEP manages to teach a lot combinatorics without hiding the fact and axiomatic reasoning might be best left til later. However, CSMP at its best is completely brilliant. I actually think the minicomputer is one of those brilliant elements.

In general with elementary math programs, if you don't understand what their doing or why, your first guess should be that they are trying to teach you something about the base system either directly or indirectly. Classic pure play "new math" curriculums do this by teaching binary or base 5(which I love pennies/nickels/quarters). Various enrichment programs do this with Mayan or Egyptian or whatever number systems. MEP uses lots of roman numerals which approximates an arbitrary base system. I've also seen multiple unsupported sources claim than numeracy was higher regardless of SES pre-decimal British coinage(1971) and MEPs focus also reflects a simplified version of that. The problem is that in all of these systems the typical approach kids use is to convert everything to decimal, do the calculation, and convert back. This completely misses the point.

CSMP uses their weird combo of a binary card system with a seperate card for each base 10 digit. Using the index cards with c-rod colors makes it easy to model numbers within 10. The whole system makes it easier to use the cards and move counters or dots around than convert to decimal. Its actually really fun once you figure it out. You need to try it out and not just read about it. 

Edited by raptor_dad
  • Like 1

Our plans are fairly simple, with math being the main accelerated subject.

DS1, grade 7:

AoPS Intro to Algebra (just finished Jacobs Algebra)

English Lessons Through Literature 5

Will probably add Writing With Skill 1 back in at some point

Wayfarers Medieval History

Apologia General Science

Art of Argument

Feed My Sheep art

Extracurricular - hockey goalie - house league and all stars

DS2, 4th grade:

Singapore Math 5

English Lessons Through Literature 3

Wayfarers Medieval History and Science

I Can Do All Things art

Extracurricular - speech therapy :)

DS3, 2nd grade:

Singapore Math 3

English Lessons Through Literature 2

Wayfarers Medieval History and Science

I Can Do All Things art

Extracurricular - hockey - house league

I have a toddler, so this will be an interesting year! She's currently learned body parts, how to sign "all done", and how to manipulate us into feeding her graham crackers. She also wants to read all the books... All day long. She might be reading by time she starts talking. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Work in Progress here. We loved Veritas Press and Meghan made straight As, but it is very expensive and time consuming.

Math-Pre-Algebra either TT or MUS. Never tried MUS and I like TT bc of the DVDs that teach her how to do the lesson but I worry it is not a strong enough choice.

Science-I am thinking about Apologia but 250 for one subject? Elemental Science but again, is it a strong enough choice?

Literature-Excellence in Literature

French-Easy French

Grammar/Writing-thinking about Easy Grammar Ultimate 8 but maybe I should do Shurley Again? Not doing IEW, ick. Writing with Skill, maybe.  Word Roots.

History-People, Places, and Events of World History

Kid Coder Web Design Online Course

Building Thinking Skills Book 3

Art-Something for Art History and art projects.

Music-A Young Scholar's Guide to Composers

Bible- What's Up?

Extracurricular-Guitar, AHD Patriot, Horseback riding, volunteering with the Humane Society. Tutoring in French and Math.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Updating.

For the rest of the summer we're doing "school-lite," mostly focusing on handwriting, typing, and reading for pleasure.  Late August we'll start up the '16-'17 plans, which are:

3rd Grade:
Math: Beast Academy 5, plus AoPS pre-A to fill the time while waiting on BA book(s) to be released (if necessary)

LA: MCT Island level, plus Killgallon's elementary Sentence Composing

Spelling: tag-along in AAS.  Starting at the beginning and we'll see where we get.

Fine motor: HWOT cursive and keyboarding

History etc.: SOTW 2, Evan-Moor Daily Geography grades 3 & 4

Science: Mystery Science, plus supplements

Fun extras: random stuff from Critical Thinking Co., beginning piano (?? hopefully??), gymnastics, a little mom-made basic conversational Spanish, and classes from our umbrella charter (lego robotics, art, and, uuuuuh, 3 others I don't care enough to remember)

1st/2nd Grade:

Math: finish Right Start D, begin E (?); finish Beast Academy 3, begin 4

LA: MCT Island, WWE 2

Spelling: AAS, starting at the beginning

Fine motor: HWOT cursive and keyboarding

History etc.: SOTW 2, EM Daily Geography gr. 3-4

Science: Mystery Science, plus supplements

Extras: fun supplements from Critical Thinking Co., hopefully beginning piano, a little mom-made basic conversational Spanish, self-contained 1st grade class with the umbrella charter

K4 (turns 5 end of Nov.):

Math: finish Right Start B and begin C, with some MEP 1-2, SM 2, and lots of games thrown in

LA: Finished FLL1 and 2, but not enthused with 3... soooo....lots of reading aloud from whatever he picks, maybe begin WWE 1, maybe tag along in MCT Island (or not)

Spelling: tag along in AAS

Fine Motor: HWOT print, some cursive and keyboarding as interested

History: SOTW 2, EM Daily Geography gr. 1-2

Science: tag along in Mystery Science

Extras: beginning piano??  Tag along in mom-made conversational Spanish?

K3 (turns 3 early Sep):

Very much on the fence about keeping him home vs. sending him to public special education pre-k.

• Like 1

I did pre-school last year with DS, but by spring he wanted more than I could give him via the "just winging it" method so this year we are doing... PK? K? I don't even know. He'll be 3.5 in August. We began the 3 R's in May:

Reading: LOE Foundations A-D

Writing: LOE Foundations A-D

Math: RightStart A & B*

*However much we get around to - it looks like we'll finish A in September.

I keep going back & forth about scheduling anything else. Initially I had wanted to do unit studies to cover art, science, culture, & music but at the same time, that seems like a LOT for a 3yo. We may stick to the 3 R's.

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli
  • Like 1