Menu

I finally figured out how to borrow library books on my tablet!

Chris in VA

Yay me!

What a luxury to have access to so many books without needing to go to the library. I use Overdrive. I can put a book on my Kindle App (I have an Android tablet) or just put it on a "bookshelf" in Overdrive.

I can't believe it took me so long. I'm often late to the party! Mostly because of being intimidated by things that are "hard." Well, it's not. It's super-easy, and I have access to libraries anywhere who use Overdrive. So, if you have a crummy library but have a tablet, there ya go--

ETA--Oops, as Lady Florida points out, this is wrong in that you can only add libraries where you are a member.

Do you use it?

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 6

I felt the same way when I figured out how to get ebooks for my Kindle from my library. I too use overdrive, but I don't think I have access to all libraries. How do I find that out? I just search for books in my library catalog and follow the links to check them out using overdrive.

• Like 1

I have a Kindle, but I've been using it for library books for years.  I love it, and now I get annoyed when I need to get a hardcopy of a book, but that mostly because I use the library in the next town or the one in the city which is an hour away. 

I'm glad you got it figured out.  My sister finally figured it out for her Nook, and it took my dad several months to try it with his Kindle. Now he loves it.  Almost every book he wants to read is available for the Kindle through his library system.  

• Like 1

I read almost exclusively on my Kindle and often borrow from my library. I love it. I also pay to belong to an out of state library. The best part is that there are no late fees.

You have access to all ebooks for libraries that you belong to, not all libraries. 

How did you decide on the out-of-state library?   I'm assuming you chose it because it has a great selection.  

How did you decide on the out-of-state library?   I'm assuming you chose it because it has a great selection.  

It was a long process. I was looking at two different libraries - Philadelphia Free Library and Fairfax County (Virginia). I usually have a general idea of what I want to read and I go through my Want to Read list on Goodreads. I checked my own library system to see what's available. Then I looked at Amazon to get an idea of what I'd spend if I bought the books my library doesn't have. Since the cost of buying those books was higher than the membership fee for the out of state library, I chose the library. If you wouldn't spend more than the membership fee on buying ebooks, then it's probably not worth it.

The first two years I belonged to the Philadelphia Free Library, at the fee of $35 per year. When they raised the fee for renewal to $50, I let that one expire and joined Fairfax County. It's only $27 a year, has a huge selection (at least according to what I want to read), and that's less than I'd spend buying ebooks. 

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 4

It was a long process. I was looking at two different libraries - Philadelphia Free Library and Fairfax County (Virginia). I usually have a general idea of what I want to read and I go through my Want to Read list on Goodreads. I checked my own library system to see what's available. Then I looked at Amazon to get an idea of what I'd spend if I bought the books my library doesn't have. Since the cost of buying those books was higher than the membership fee for the out of state library, I chose the library. If you wouldn't spend more than the membership fee on buying ebooks, then it's probably not worth it.

The first two years I belonged to the Philadelphia Free Library, at the fee of $35 per year. When they raised the fee for renewal to $50, I let that one expire and joined Fairfax County. It's only $27 a year, has a huge selection (at least according to what I want to read), and that's less than I'd spend buying ebooks. 

Thank you so much for sharing all of this.  We pay to belong to an out of county system, but I had no idea about joining an out of state system.  I'm off to check it out. 

• Like 1

In my state, all residents can have an e-card to the public library system in the state capital. This perk dramatically increases the number of e-books and other electronic resources available (like newspapers and magazines/journals). Chris - glad you figured out overdrive! I love it (and I finally figured it out just a few months ago).

Awesome! I made all my dc figure this out before we left on our trip (that we are still on). I checked out two for myself, too. I miss the visual of the bookmark wedged in the book and apparently it is not infrequent for me to flip ahead to see how long the chapter is (read-alouds in particular), however, I love that I am carrying 4 books without all the weight and bulk!