Menu

Carbs not a brain food?

Night Elf

I'm trying to research a correlation between Alzheimer's and eating and came across this article. Will Eating Carbs Lead to Alzheimer's? There is so much controversy in determining what is a healthy way to eat. Now this article says we should avoid carbs because they make us sick. Have you heard that? I've never been low carb. I don't think I could do it. How bad are carbs?

I don't think there is one answer. I do think that having high blood sugar is bad for your brain (and everything else). Many people can't handle the large number of processed carbs in our diet. It raises blood sugar and triggers bad changes. There are even some scientists who call Alzheimers "Type 3 Diabetes". 

Now, that said, if your body metabolizes carbs well, and your blood sugar is stable, and you don't have symptoms of metabolic syndrome, and you stick to mostly unrefined carbs like potatoes, vegetables, corn, beans, some well made bread, etc you are probably not in the high risk category. If you have high blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, or lots of belly fat, or high cholesterol, or high blood pressure, or you eat lots of refined cereals and snacks and sugar yeah, you need to cut back and look at your diet for a lot of reasons, including brain health. 

But I think it is a step too far to say that all carbs cause brain issues in all people. There are plenty of societies eating whole grain bread and some fruit that are metabolically healthy. And people here in the USA that can eat that way. But plenty of us have broken our metabolism or have the wrong gut bacteria or genes or SOMETHING and can't. Probably because of a lifetime of having too much sugar and processed food. 

• Like 8

I don't think anybody knows for sure, but there's a book about this.

Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter If you're interested in some of his research, maybe see if your library has it.

Carbs are sugar below the neck, so they definitely can make you sick in large amounts. In my opinion, it's better to err on the side of caution when it comes to carbs (excess sugar) since not one of us in North America are the picture of health. Allergies, mental health/depression, metabolic disorders, heart disease, cancer, etc. all run rampant - it's not if you get diagnosed, it's when and to what degree. And it's very sad.

• Like 1

Brain food for me is nutrient dense veggies, meat, and fat. Carbs make me feel jittery and shaky, even with perfect blood sugar. They're a low quality source of energy by and large and expended more quickly. I just had a sub sandwich today for lunch trapped at a convention and I'm already feeling 'off'. Not everyone has the same response but I really would have just eaten the meat and veggies inside it and not the bread!

I follow the research on Alzheimers closely b/c of a strong family history and attend a support group at a major university. I recently attended a conference on Alzheimer's. 

There are two diets with some science behind them. People who adhere to the Mediterranean diet are less likely to develop Alzheimer's than those who don't. The Mediterranean diet has plenty of healthy carbs, but not a lot of processed food or sweets. Fish and chicken as the main meats. Not a lot of dairy, but not total avoidance either. The Mediterranean diet is the one most neurologists will recommend. 

The MIND diet was developed by looking at what people who did not get Alzheimer's ate. There were carbs in the form of 3 servings of whole grains per day. That diet also recommends specifically a serving of leafy green veges per day, every day. Sweets only once per week. Fish at least once per week. Blueberries at least 2 times per week. 

Perlmutter and Bredesen both tend toward the low glycemic/lowish carbs diet. I have read their stuff, but I am not sure where their science is coming from with respect to diet. I think the rest of Bredesen's protocol is well worth looking at. I am just not convinced about the diet portion. 

The very best strategy for delaying Alzheimers or slowing it down once cognitive changes start is EXERCISE. 

• Like 5

There's no such thing as 'brain food' and 'non brain food'. The brain uses glucose as its fuel and it derives glucose from the food you eat, including carbs.

And carbs are fine for many people as part of a varied diet that also includes protein, fruit, vegies and healthy fats. Personally, I prefer low GI carbs, basmati rice over jasmine etc.

This is what I was going to say. I think the real problem is likely the sheer amount of sugar, fructose syrup and refined carbs in our diet. I doubt that fruit and actual grains (rice, wheat berries, etc) in reasonable amounts are doing as much damage as pop, candy and pastry provided you have no underlying health issues. That may be just my healthy skewed perception though. Actual studies seem to be all over the place.
  • Like 5

This is what I was going to say. I think the real problem is likely the sheer amount of sugar, fructose syrup and refined carbs in our diet. I doubt that fruit and actual grains (rice, wheat berries, etc) in reasonable amounts are doing as much damage as pop, candy and pastry provided you have no underlying health issues. That may be just my healthy skewed perception though. Actual studies seem to be all over the place.

Yup. I think where the problem happens and the confusion, for that matter, is that after a lifetime of eating candy and pastries and soda, you can mess up your metabolism to the point that even rice and whole grain bread and such can set off a blood sugar rise. Because you've messed up your metabolism, not because they are bad in themselves. Add in that a sedentary lifestyle also messes with insulin/blood sugar and it can be pretty problematic. 

• Like 6

Yep. Forget the brain training and special diets, it's exercise that makes a real difference. If people could do one thing to improve their brain health, exercise would be it. 

That is is what my Professor said in my aging class.

(That sounds funny..........aging class :lol: )

• Like 4

Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter If you're interested in some of his research, maybe see if your library has it.

I think this is the book that most anti-carb talk stems from. It's controversial at best, though, so if you are going to read it, make sure you read rebuttals too.

• Like 2

I think this is the book that most anti-carb talk stems from. It's controversial at best, though, so if you are going to read it, make sure you read rebuttals too.

I'm not sure if you're directing the rebuttal advice toward me? As for the bolded, I highly doubt this. It's a relatively new player on the low-carb scene, in the grand scheme.

Obviously people should do their research on many sides of an issue. I offered this book as one such resource that directly addresses the question the OP asked. ALL diet advice is "controversial".

Another book I recommend is "Death by Food Pyramid" by Denise Minger, in which she spends a large portion of the book teaching lay people how to access and study to understand nutritional research data vs. just reading and accepting "expert" summaries and conclusions.

I'm not sure if you're directing the rebuttal advice toward me? As for the bolded, I highly doubt this. It's a relatively new player on the low-carb scene, in the grand scheme.

Obviously people should do their research on many sides of an issue. I offered this book as one such resource that directly addresses the question the OP asked. ALL diet advice is "controversial".

Another book I recommend is "Death by Food Pyramid" by Denise Minger, in which she spends a large portion of the book teaching lay people how to access and study to understand nutritional research data vs. just reading and accepting "expert" summaries and conclusions.

Ooh, adding to my wish list!

The entire nutrition industry is a flipping shambles with all the "This crazy change will cure/prevent that."  I fully understand the draw, but it is so incredibly unethical.  

Nutrition is a difficult area for human experimentation because of the large number of variables in genetics and lifestyle, and the inability to track the whole lifespan of individuals without any deviations from a specified diet.  As much as I love the field of nutrition and have considered making it a career some day, there isn't a single bone in my body that believes "the perfect diet" will ever be discovered.

If somebody wants to give up carbs because they feel physically and emotionally better when they do, fine.

If somebody wants to give up meat for ethical reasons, fine.

If somebody has to give up dairy because their body rejects it, fine.

But it does make me sad to watch people contort their entire diet and lifestyle in hopes of attaining great health based on flimsy science.  

• Like 7

I think that nd293 was saying that Grain Brain is the source of the notion that carbs/grains are bad for cognitive health/Alzheimers, which is the OP topic, not the book responsible for low carbs thinking in  general.

Grain Brain is full of mouse studies. Mouse studies can be helpful in pointing to directions, but they are not definitive. In fact, I heard at an Alzheimer's conference last month that mice have been cured of Alzheimer's using ( I think) 3 different methods, none of which panned out in humans. 

There have been links between insulin resistance and Alzheimer's and some hopeful trials using insulin nasal spray, but that is also still a theory. There is a link between obesity at middle age and Alzheimer's, so to the extent that too many carbs are driving someone's obesity, that is a connection. 

In the big population studies where they are doing correlations (it's hard to assign people to long-term diets to test them over time), the two diets that show some modest impact on cognitive health are Mediterranean and to a lesser extent, DASH. The MIND diet sorted through that data looking at more specific foods eaten, and actually found 3 servings of whole grain (opposite of the theory of Grain Brain) to be associated with lower incidence of Alzheimers. 

I keep an open mind about it, but for now, I am sticking with some whole grain, as part of an overall emphasis on lots of fruits and veges, especially leafy greens and berries, fish, and healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, avocado). 

• Like 3

Ditto to the PP who mentioned insulin.  You can do a search for type 3 diabetes, as some people are beginning to call alzheimer's.  I have not read much about it yet, but should, as we also have family history.  

It's a scary disease.  

To those recommending exercise, what are the recommended types/intensity/frequency?

There is an avalanche of brain/exercise research. This is a start

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/regular-exercise-changes-brain-improve-memory-thinking-skills-201404097110

And for good measure since I run and therefore feel validated http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/which-type-of-exercise-is-best-for-the-brain/

Edited by joyofsix
  • Like 3

Ditto to the PP who mentioned insulin.  You can do a search for type 3 diabetes, as some people are beginning to call alzheimer's.  I have not read much about it yet, but should, as we also have family history.  

It's a scary disease.  

To those recommending exercise, what are the recommended types/intensity/frequency?

I just posted my collection of research links on the thread about exercise and Alz here:   http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/592112-how-much-exercise/

• Like 3

Brains run on glucose. 

Glucose is a carbohydrate. 

a quick primer on the metabolic profile of major organs: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22436/

declared conflict of interest: I eat high carb vegan & I think low carb diets make no sense :)

Brains run on glucose.  (TRUE)

Glucose is a carbohydrate. (TRUE, or at least, carbohydrates turn to glucose in the body)

Implied conclusion: You must consume carbohydrates in order for your brain to run. (FALSE)

Even people on ketogenic diets (very low carb, high fat) have no problems with their brains running.  The body can make the glucose that your brain needs even if you are consuming almost no carbs from diet.

declared conflict of interest: I eat low carb high fat because of health issues that are made much worse with the consumption of even moderate carbs. I don't think ANY diet makes sense to apply to EVERY person.

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 8

Brains run on glucose.  (TRUE)

Glucose is a carbohydrate. (TRUE, or at least, carbohydrates turn to glucose in the body)

Implied conclusion: You must consume carbohydrates in order for your brain to run. (FALSE)

Even people on ketogenic diets (very low carb, high fat) have no problems with their brains running.  The body can make the glucose that your brain needs even if you are consuming almost no carbs from diet.

declared conflict of interest: I eat low carb high fat because of health issues that are made much worse with the consumption of even moderate carbs. I don't think ANY diet makes sense to apply to EVERY person.

Interestingly, the brain also runs on the ketones produced on a ketogenic diet.  The first time I experienced this, when I first completed the switch over to low-carb (which did not happen overnight), I actually felt a different sensation.  It's fascinating.

• Like 1