Menu

Large Families

As a large family wannabe I've been wondering how do you get it all in? What kinds of curricula do you use? Do you combine some of your students? What kind of daily schedule do you have? Most of the curricula that I'm interested in involves lots of teacher time. I'm trying to figure out what is realistic and what ideas I might have to change. Anything that you could tell me about teaching your large family would be great. Thanks!

My blog is listed in my signature. Organisation and scheduling are almost mandatory for us at this stage. We've also learned that with a large family, there are some things you have to deal with as "normal" for the time being. Noise is one of these. Lots of sharing as well as trying to find some "personal space" for everybody is another. My advice, pull together some organisational tools now. However, know that nothing will be perfect and you will probably change how you do things as you go along. Don't fret...one day they will all be gone and you will miss the mess, the noise, the wrestling, etc.

When my six kiddos were still all in elementary grades, we had the most luck using Sonlight for history because I could easily combine the kids (those were in the old days before SOTW, lol!). I wrote my own science program and we used that with everyone, too. Math and English were all done at their individual levels. Other subjects were completely independent.

What I found worked best was to have some "together" time and then have the kids do their other subject, then more together time, then more other things. For example, we might start the day with history (lots of reading aloud by me) and then everyone would do math. I'd work with one child at a time, explaining the lesson and sending them to the table to do their own work while I moved on to the next child. While the kids were waiting for their turn with me they would work on their independent subjects (spelling, handwriting, math drills, Learnables) so they had no reason to just sit around doing nothing.

I think organization is more important than a specific curriculum for most subjects. I do think it's much easier (and a heck of a lot more fun) to use a history program that you can adjust to include all the kids. We are no longer homeschooling, but some of my fondest memories are of us curled up on the sofa reading aloud.

Ria

mom of college sophomores dd and ds, 19, and boys 16, 14, 13, 11

We do a similar thing to Ria. We usually start with together time, move off to own work, have a break, come back for more together time, then move to own work again. We have have a 'to-do' list on the wall which the kids refer to and the olders work ahead on what they can while I work with the younger kids etc.

We are studying the same history period so I read aloud from our 'spine', as well as another book from the period like a fiction/biography, then the kids have their own books to read at their own level but still in the same time period. This way we are all on the same page but at own level.

Like Ria, I think organization is important. We tend to run in blocks of time rather than a timetable. The kids know that after our first together time we do math, then LA/writing etc. Having a routine keeps the day flowing and no-one is left not knowing what to do.

All the best,

Linda:)

:seeya: Hi Lisa,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm at the front end of this large homeschooling family thing as my younger crew is just now entering school age. So I'll be reading to see how everyone is combining multiple ages. The ones close in age are easy to keep together for big subjects like history and science. I've always separated them out for the other subjects. In the beginning I operated best by routine, now we have a more traditional schedule. I like our schedule because it keeps my children moving where they need to be without me always directing everyone.

(Prov 16) I cannot begin to stress the importance of prayer as one heads into homeschooling, organizing a larger family, etc. I'm often shocked by how/where the Lord meets me through this journey as I first commit my plans to Him and ask for His direction. The real joy is in watching His hand move through our lives!

Two resources that have helped me organize our homeschooling and home are "Managers of their Homes" and "Managers of their Chores" by Teri Maxwell. You can find these resources at www.titus2.com. Note: I'm not advocating all their resources (I've not even read any of the others), but these two materials have helped me sort through and organize my goals for my family.

Enjoy your journey!

We combine History and science in the elementary years. Once they reach

7th grade they start doing more independant work.

In elementary all the children are doing everything together except LA and Math.

I use MFW which makes is easier for me to keep up with everything. We have some together time then the older ones work on LA and math while I teach younger ones to read etc. I have found that K-2nd graders need a lot of one on one time. Then we do history and science read alouds and spines together. We then branch off again to work on writing assignments related to history and science.

I've been mulling over this question because I've known a lot of large (8+ children) homeschooling families and am the mom of one. All of the ones I'm thinking of have some children who have already graduated from the homeschool and are into adulthood. Honestly, I can only come up with one single thread that divides the successful families from the ones whose adult kids haven't done as well, and it has nothing to do with curriculum choices or organizational techniques. The families that have been successful have had moms who were commited to being in the home -- with her heart, soul, and time. The ones with kids who have floundered had moms who were busy outside the home with ministry, their own educational pursuits, and other such activities. A few I'm thinking of who had kids that didn't do as well were ironically extra busy with homeschool support ministry. So, I guess I'm saying, if you're planning to have a large homeschooling family, set your heart on being completely devoted to being in your home physically, mentally, and emotionally for the long haul.

ETA: I wanted to add that I'm speaking specifically of LARGE homeschooling families. It's my observation that moms of smaller homeschooling families have lot more leeway for pursuing personal interests outside the home without causing any harm to the kids.

Edited by Luann in ID
added

I've been mulling over this question because I've known a lot of large (8+ children) homeschooling families and am the mom of one. All of the ones I'm thinking of have some children who have already graduated from the homeschool and are into adulthood. Honestly, I can only come up with one single thread that divides the successful families from the ones whose adult kids haven't done as well, and it has nothing to do with curriculum choices or organizational techniques. The families that have been successful have had moms who were commited to being in the home -- with her heart, soul, and time. The ones with kids who have floundered had moms who were busy outside the home with ministry, their own educational pursuits, and other such activities. A few I'm thinking of who had kids that didn't do as well were ironically extra busy with homeschool support ministry. So, I guess I'm saying, if you're planning to have a large homeschooling family, set your heart on being completely devoted to being in your home physically, mentally, and emotionally for the long haul.

ETA: I wanted to add that I'm speaking specifically of LARGE homeschooling families. It's my observation that moms of smaller homeschooling families have lot more leeway for pursuing personal interests outside the home without causing any harm to the kids.

I've been an adjunct professor for nine years and have taught scores of homeschooled kids at the local community college, and I've taught homeschooled co-op kids for five years now at the elementary level. There are large families who are doing a superb job, and there are families with only one kid who are not getting it done. I have a lot going on outside of homeschooling with working and disabled husband, but homeschooling gets my full attention for the majority of the day, and my children will always come before my paid employment. In the end, it's about priorities first, and curriculum second. Of course some curriculum saves you time, and some does not, so it will help to be thoughtful about what you choose, but that's not the only factor at play.

HTH!

points. I have come to believe more than before that it is indeed the involvement of the parent and expectations that bring s child along and on his way to succes.

I know for a fact that there were a ton of things I did not cover with my oldest (and she is paying for some of that right now in biology, needing some math-skills that she has never before used in biology). She did not learn everything at home, but she left home with am amazing quest for knowledge and a love for learning -gifts that are lifelong and way more important.

She came from a biggish family where things where oftentimes chaotic, but she loved it and thrived on te semi-chaos (again, being able to survive in chaos is not a bad skill to rbing to college, lol!).

Now as for the rest of my children, then they have very different personalities from this girl and I can only do so much (or make school a drudgery). I try to compensate by literally having great enrichment around them and actively having them see how I love to learn and pursue things we read about, draw connections as we see, read, meet things in life, on field trips etc. Having this love for learning is just amazing to watch in a child. Our goal for our children is that they can (and will!) apply to some great colleges and get a wodnerful tertiary education, but the road to get there should be worthwhile while not wasteful.

Just as a note, then I would liek to add that I think when you have 1-2 children then it is easy to over-focus on the child and their academics, not something that is always positive or will have a positive outcome, imo.

As a large family wannabe I've been wondering how do you get it all in? What kinds of curricula do you use? Do you combine some of your students? What kind of daily schedule do you have? Most of the curricula that I'm interested in involves lots of teacher time. I'm trying to figure out what is realistic and what ideas I might have to change. Anything that you could tell me about teaching your large family would be great. Thanks!

I combined as much as I could when they were all little. (Sonlight/Greenleaf/Ambleside Online) I don't combine as much now as I did back then. Now I use a modified Ambleside Online/Simply Charlotte Mason approach. What I mean is that I still read-aloud with my younger 4 for history, literature, Shakespeare, poetry, but once each child can read he/she is expected to do some of his/her own reading for each subject too. That required reading time is when I work with one of the other children. Managers of Their Home (MOTH) has also been helpful in putting together a workable schedule, even if I cannot follow a rigid schedule.

Also, once each child is reading he gets his own planner. At first, I fill in everything, but eventually the child is to do it with me, and then do it on his own. I write out the week's lesson plans for everyone on Saturday.

As for curricula, the choices depend on where you want to combine and where you need to individualize instruction. I used to do writing and grammar with all 4 of my younger children, but at some point that stopped working and I had to reschedule to work with them individually or find programs that are written to the child. (Writing Tales and Growing with Grammar have been great for the latter.)

My older 2 children work together for science, literature, history, but not for foreign language or math.

The best help I've found didn't happen until after they could each read. Since then, the planners have been wonderful!

Michele

She came from a biggish family where things where oftentimes chaotic, but she loved it and thrived on te semi-chaos (again, being able to survive in chaos is not a bad skill to rbing to college, lol!).

LOL. This is so true. I believe this is the secret of my own daughter's success in college. She could study if the roof were coming down on her head. :)

I've been an adjunct professor for nine years and have taught scores of homeschooled kids at the local community college, and I've taught homeschooled co-op kids for five years now at the elementary level. There are large families who are doing a superb job, and there are families with only one kid who are not getting it done. I have a lot going on outside of homeschooling with working and disabled husband, but homeschooling gets my full attention for the majority of the day, and my children will always come before my paid employment. In the end, it's about priorities first, and curriculum second. Of course some curriculum saves you time, and some does not, so it will help to be thoughtful about what you choose, but that's not the only factor at play.

HTH!

GVA, I think you allude to an interesting distinction. There's a huge difference between a mom who must work for the provision of her family and the mom who pursues outside interests because she's not finding home stimulating enough or enough of a ministry for her. It's a matter of where the bulk of the emotional and physical energy is directed.

One of the successful families I was thinking of has 9 children and one very sick daddy. The mom works because she must (fortunately she's able to work mostly from home and has help from her dh and older dc). Still this family is doing a phenomenal job. I believe it's because the mom puts every ounce of time she has left into the education of her children. That's where her heart is. She's not working for her own fulfillment but for the betterment of her family.

This is very different from the mom who sees needs in a ministry and spends dozens of hours a week meeting those needs while her struggling children skip lesson after lesson. Sadly, I've watched this second scenario more than a few times.

Another mom of 8 I know, who has done an amazing job homeschooling, uses very different curriculum from what we use or would ever want to use. (We've stuck fairly closely to TWTM recommendations for 9 years now, btw.) She's very pragmatic and relies heavily on computer-based learning and textbooks. Her oldest is an attorney working as legal director for our representative in Congress. Another of her dc is on a full stipend getting her masters at a prestigious university. All of their children have thrived. Her heart is totally in her home, and she lets nothing get in the way of that. This is just another example of how different curricula will do the job, but ultimately it's the mom's commitment that makes the difference.

Mostly I'm just thinking out loud here. Thanks for listening.

Her heart is totally in her home, and she lets nothing get in the way of that. This is just another example of how different curricula will do the job, but ultimately it's the mom's commitment that makes the difference.

Mostly I'm just thinking out loud here. Thanks for listening.

Luann-

Just wanted to say thanks for the reminder of what's really important and at stake. It is easy to veer off the path by distractions and "more interesting" activities as the years go by and the excitement of homeschooling and parenting wear thin. I've been experiencing that itch to move on to something new and needed to hear this reminder. It truly is a marathon that needs our focus to the end. Great point.

We just added number five here and I've still not figured out exactly how to work things best for our family. It does work well to combine subjects like history and science and I generally have a piece of literature I'm reading aloud to all of them. My oldest does well at working independently through certain subjects (she's 8 and reads very well) but things are hampered with the others since they don't read independently yet. I imagine things will get much easier once the middle ones are readers, too. Right now the biggest obstacle is my 2-year-old's inclination to "play" with the baby and her very short attention span for the quiet activities I give her.

Thanks for all of your wonderful posts! I'll have to print them out to read, especially when I need some inspiration.

OT: I used to live in MI and am envious of your location in the UP, it must be beautiful there right now. (From someone slogging through the 90 degree fall weather we have here in not beautiful DFW, TX).

Yes, we are having nice sweatshirt weather right now. Fall is my favorite time of year. :) The winters are harsh but I'm always thankful when we only have a few weeks of hot summer. Ninety degrees is way too warm for me, even during the summer.

As a large family wannabe I've been wondering how do you get it all in? What kinds of curricula do you use? Do you combine some of your students?

Absolutely. And the combinations can be different for different subjects for different years. I combined all of them for science and history when they were elementary and younger. We now seem to combine in couplets. :001_smile: Even my olders enjoy studying AP Gov and biology together.

What kind of daily schedule do you have?

It's looked different each year. Some things that have worked:

1) a consistent early start time

2) morning chores before school - I cannot work in a messy atmosphere

3) written schedules as the kids move into late grammar/early middle school

4) staggered start times. I capitalize on early risers and do one-on-one time with them while others are still getting ready.

5) summer intensives. We've often used summers for overflow, cursive writing or concentrated science/history.

6) staggered start dates. You don't have to start all curricula on Sept. 1. You can streamline by starting some in January or as books are finished.

7) 1 hr. rest time/quiet time (sanctuary time for me!) every day after lunch.

Most of the curricula that I'm interested in involves lots of teacher time. I'm trying to figure out what is realistic and what ideas I might have to change.

You are wise to choose curricula carefully. For the most part, I've avoided teacher-intensive curricula. I never used SWR though I felt it was probably a great curriculum. Choose where you want to invest your one-on-one time. For me, that has been phonics, math, Latin, writing.

Also, if you can keep up your learning curve with your oldest (Latin, higher math, logic), it will pay off in spades with the youngers.

Finally, do not compare your family to others. It will only bring stress and dissatisfaction (or pride; just as bad). Rely on the Lord to direct and guide each year and to bring the provision.

I hope this helps! Many blessings,

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa

I have learned so much from this post, for sure.. :) Thanks ladies for chiming in.. Now Im only hsing two (well 3 if you count 3 days a week in early reading for my 3 year old) we have almost 5 children and so far I've had success in a few things these ladies have suggested..

1. Staggaring start times, we started with handwritting (copywork), Math, and phonics. Then added Science and History, finally literature.

2. Self-Education. I've turned over whatever I could to my oldest child and made alot of the seat work easily eccessable to induce independant learning.

3. Mandatory rest time, during rest time, the oldest does some reading then.

4. Combining were possible. Which worked out well because my 5 year old wants to work ahead all the time and my 7 year old hates to feel like she is doing "more work" than the 5 year old. ;)

5. And Im working on NOT comparing my family to others. ;)

Getting past the thought of normal school hours and accepting that evenings are a-ok for learning is the biggest eye-opener I've had. I do better staggering one-on-one time with the kids since mine are all young and need a lot from me.

Also, not everything they need to learn needs a curriculum. Mini units during the year work better for some subjects. I've moved most content subjects to this plan. I call them our Exploration Weeks.

The families that have been successful have had moms who were committed to being in the home -- with her heart, soul, and time.

Her heart is totally in her home, and she lets nothing get in the way of that. This is just another example of how different curricula will do the job, but ultimately it's the mom's commitment that makes the difference.

I am only mom of 3 and one on the way. That doesn't qualify for a "large family" status (at least not in homeschooling circles ;)) but when you add that my ds7 has special needs and my ds2 is about the busiest and most strong-willed child anyone has ever met...well let's just say that the above really ministered to me. Thanks for posting! I needed to hear this today.

We aren't "large" per se, but I totally agree that Mom's commitment makes a difference. When I am tempted to work part time or volunteer for something, I have to remind myself that this is for just a season, and Lord willing, there will be time for those things when I launch my youngest! The "work" I am doing now will influence our family for generations. I try treat homekeeping/homeschool as my "job". We keep regular hours, take vacations, and have a definite quitting time! We have organization charts, short term/long term goals and plans, just like the outside job I used to have and the paycheck is priceless! Above all, working to keep God first and then my husband next keeps things in perspective.

We have 3 dd's (10th, 7th, and 5th) and tutor one more dear girl (9th), and I have found that using a variety of types of curriculum works best for us. We use Math-u-see, which helps me so much in teaching the high school girls. Winston Grammar (new for us) is great because there are only two levels and I plan on repeating each level at least twice - Basic twice before high school and Advanced twice in high school. It only needs to be taught once or twice a week. Dictation and editing teach punctuation to all at once. We will review grammar in the off years with various resources. Keeping them all in the same historical time period is helpful. We use workbooks for spelling/vocabulary and writing that don't require much help from me. Traditional science (BJU/Abeka) after 7th grade is what I chose for the area that gets the most attention from me. (The beauty of homeschool is you can tailor things to meet your specific needs!)