Menu

Exercise clothes for plus sized me

Ottakee

Spring is here and I need some new exercise clothes.

I am looking first for pants. I want nice looking, not tight at all (so no yoga fit/style) polyester/spandex type. I have heavy thighs and calfs so nothing tight in the leg. Likely a size x-large or 1x....but I have 2x that are too tight and an x large that is way too big.

I would also like 2-3 nice t shirts, nothing tank style. Possibly one of them.long sleeve.

I walk several days a week with a friend in a populated area where she works so they need to be fit for public viewing without the public viewing more of me than they want to see.

Any local chain type stores to try? I would want to try it on since sizing seems to random.

I like the Walmart yoga pants.  They are not tight at all.  More like a looser fit yoga pant if that makes sense.

I also like the ideaology line at Macy's.  Macy's actually has quite a bit of plus size workout gear.  We live in a large metro, but only two stores have a decent selection--the others will have one rack.  So it's worth ordering online or seeking out a big store for this. 

And I've seen things at Lane Bryant, but I've never purchased anything there. 

Nordstrom, Encore department.

All their stuff is great quality, and returns are free and easy, with free shipping, if you don't have the right selection nearby.

I wear size 2X Zella pants for working out--they come in leggings and capris.  They are form fitting but to me they don't feel tight or constricting.  And the waist is high enough to STAY, IYKWIM.

And I wear oversized tshirts with them generally, but as it gets warmer I switch to my 2X quick dry top from REI, and when it's hot out I wear my size 2X loose, quick dry hiking shorts from REI.  They also have hiking pants that are loose but very lightweight, in plus sizes, and their returns are as easy as Nordstrom, even if you have already used their clothing before you realize that it won't work for you.

Leggings:   http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/zella-live-in-slim-fit-leggings-plus-size/3215863?cm_mmc=Google_Product_Ads_pla_online-_-datafeed-_-plus_women%3Abottoms%3Apant-_-387103&amp%3Bcountry=US&amp%3Bcurrency=USD&mr%3AreferralID=52d6e9d7-e6c6-11e5-8e98-0050569406b5&gclid=COKgo7egtssCFU6Sfgodw7wFCg

Convertible loose hiking pants:  https://www.rei.com/product/831364/white-sierra-sierra-convertible-pants-womens-plus-sizes

I like the Walmart yoga pants.  They are not tight at all.  More like a looser fit yoga pant if that makes sense.

I also like the ideaology line at Macy's.  Macy's actually has quite a bit of plus size workout gear.  We live in a large metro, but only two stores have a decent selection--the others will have one rack.  So it's worth ordering online or seeking out a big store for this. 

And I've seen things at Lane Bryant, but I've never purchased anything there. 

Walmart actually has two different styles of yoga pant...one is "fitted" and tight like normal yoga pants. The other isn't, and although snug in the rear end is less snug in the legs so not tight on the calf at all. I forget what they call that style, you may have to look. 

Found them! These are the "more relaxed" version and come in capri length and regular. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Dri-More-Relaxed-Pants-available-in-regular-and-petite-2-Pack/23991285

I may try to hit Walmart tomorrow. That is my price range and close by. I am not a die hard exerciser, we just walk 2-4 miles at a time but we walk in ALL weather (from blizzard warning weather to 90s with high humidity, to drizzle to sleet and snow). I just want to be comfy.

I may try to hit Walmart tomorrow. That is my price range and close by. I am not a die hard exerciser, we just walk 2-4 miles at a time but we walk in ALL weather (from blizzard warning weather to 90s with high humidity, to drizzle to sleet and snow). I just want to be comfy.

I used to be such a snob about Walmart, but then I wandered into the Walmart when I had an hour to kill on a beach vacation and needed sunscreen. I walked by the cutest workout top, and it was $5.  $5!  It immediately became my favorite running top.  I wore it again today, in fact.  It doesn't fit your criteria (it is sleeveless), but it has held up nicely, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.  One problem I have with many women's running tops is that they're short, and I want one that is not, under any circumstances, going to show my tummy.  This Walmart top is a good, long length.

These yoga pants from Target are my favorites: http://m.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-premium-yoga-pant/-/A-17410796

They hold up and wash well. Two years and going strong, and still dark black! They're not booty/thigh hugging at all. Think of trouser style yoga pants. ;)

Kohl's has had some cute active tops. I haven't looked lately. They had some with ruched sides that were very flattering.

IME Target C9 stuff is pretty good for basic workout garb. It's well priced, reasonably well made, and I've liked the things I've gotten. Everything seems to hold up just fine. I'm not plus sized, but I am sure they carry the C9 (made by Champion) stuff in plus sizes. Check it out. Walmart's Danskin stuff isn't bad, either, but I think the C9 stuff is a bit nicer. I'd look at both places and see what you like.

These yoga pants from Target are my favorites: http://m.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-premium-yoga-pant/-/A-17410796

They hold up and wash well. Two years and going strong, and still dark black! They're not booty/thigh hugging at all. Think of trouser style yoga pants. ;)

Kohl's has had some cute active tops. I haven't looked lately. They had some with ruched sides that were very flattering.

Every time i go past the plus sized in Target I think, "They must have an amazing buyer."