Menu

Ear candles: what are they supposed to do and would you

6packofun

What is the point of an ear candle?  Because my dd went to the dr. for a blockage in her ear (wax, EW) and her DOCTOR, the person who supposedly studied a lot of science, maybe?, suggested she use them once the ENT gets it cleared since she couldn't.  If these aren't total quackery, please explain the mechanism by which they actually do something other than maybe heat up the ear if you don't set your hair on fire.  What are your thoughts on a doctor recommending these?

I apologize if there IS some science behind these, but I researched it back in the day (years ago now) and found nothing to prove they actually DO anything.  Enlighten me.

I think they're quackery, but they feel pretty cool. I used one in grad school from a woo friend. I would use peroxide before a candle as that does actually have science... Lol at your "studied a lot of science, maybe?" There was a recent post in here about something stronger than regular hydrogen peroxide for an ear wax wash.

• Like 1

Twenty five years ago when I was in massage school, they were very popular.  In theory, the candle creates a vacuum and sucks up the wax in the ear.  My friends and I used to all ear candle each other...and some massage therapists used to charge for the service.  It was gross/fascinating to cut them open after they had burned down and see the wax/gunk inside.  A few years later, I read that you'd end up with the same gunk if you didn't put it in somebody's ear....never tried it, as they were too expensive for me to play around with at the time.

I don't think they can do much harm.  How much help? Not sure.   In general, I think warm olive oil, hydrogen peroxide, or using warm water and an ear syringe are better. 

But I can't deny they were fun to use. :)

• Like 3

Twenty five years ago when I was in massage school, they were very popular.  In theory, the candle creates a vacuum and sucks up the wax in the ear.  My friends and I used to all ear candle each other...and some massage therapists used to charge for the service.  It was gross/fascinating to cut them open after they had burned down and see the wax/gunk inside.  A few years later, I read that you'd end up with the same gunk if you didn't put it in somebody's ear....never tried it, as they were too expensive for me to play around with at the time.

I don't think they can do much harm.  How much help? Not sure.   In general, I think warm olive oil, hydrogen peroxide, or using warm water and an ear syringe are better. 

That gunk inside is from the candle.

• Like 1

On a semi related note, my husband produces extreme amounts of ear wax.  After finally going to an ENT, the best maintenance solution has been homemade ear drops made from rubbing alcohol and white vinegar, in a 1:1 ratio.  My husband puts about ten drop in and leaves them for about five minutes, then flips sides.  He does this daily.  My son only needs to do it about once a week, but it has helped him quite a bit as well.

• Like 3

Thank you, ladies!  Very informative.  Dd is 20 and this was her first visit to a dr. on her own so she didn't remember to ask proper questions like how to PREVENT the ear wax from building up!  (Oh, that's right, use quackery.  LOL)  Now we have some options.  Very appreciated!

Twenty five years ago when I was in massage school, they were very popular. In theory, the candle creates a vacuum and sucks up the wax in the ear. My friends and I used to all ear candle each other...and some massage therapists used to charge for the service. It was gross/fascinating to cut them open after they had burned down and see the wax/gunk inside. A few years later, I read that you'd end up with the same gunk if you didn't put it in somebody's ear....never tried it, as they were too expensive for me to play around with at the time.

I don't think they can do much harm. How much help? Not sure. In general, I think warm olive oil, hydrogen peroxide, or using warm water and an ear syringe are better.

I remember those days. :) They were fun.

The gunk inside was there even without using them in an ear. We tried it.

I call quackery, of course, now. But it was fun back then!

OP, I'd not be very impressed with a doc recommending them. I'm open to alternative meds, but it needs more scientific basis than that.

• Like 2

I think they're quackery, but they feel pretty cool. I used one in grad school from a woo friend. I would use peroxide before a candle as that does actually have science... Lol at your "studied a lot of science, maybe?" There was a recent post in here about something stronger than regular hydrogen peroxide for an ear wax wash.

What is a "woo friend?"

What is a "woo friend?"

I presume a woo friend is a friend who is into a lot of pseudoscience and quackery, often known as "woo".

I didn't mean it that seriously or negative. She got them from her massage therapist like PP mentioned. She did acupuncture (not woo, but not usual for the time and place), feng shui in her apartment, very artsy and open... Loved trying new things even if she thought they were a little crazy. She is a very bright person, just more alternative (?) I guess than the rest of us fuddy duddies. I never would have, on my own, gone to a llama farm she found to get some wool to make whatever the heck she wanted the wool that I can't remember now. I still have a wad of it tucked in my junk drawer. She also went to the regular doctor and appreciated the scientific method and all that. We burned one by itself and were very disappointed because it did feel so cool. Anyway, I didn't mean it in a derogatory manner in this instance. :)

• Like 1

I had never heard the word "woo" before...so I was asking what that meant, not just in reference to a "woo friend."  I didn't take it in a negative way at all.

I have "woo friends" too. :)

Edited by MegP

My dh used to do them for recurrent ear wax clogging his ears to the point of making him dizzy.  I read it's an issue with fats in your diet.  We went off beef and now eat mainly fish and chicken.  Hasn't needed them in years.  

Ear candles, in general, are considered dangerous.  I would get her ears cleaned properly and change her diet to have more good fats.