Menu

Broken bones and xrays

How many xrays were taken of a broken bone - initial to cast removed?  

1. 1. How many xrays were taken of a broken bone - initial to cast removed?

• other, please explain

This is the first poll I've tried. I hope I do it right. :)

In your experience with broken bones, how many xrays were taken? Start with the initial xray and stop with when the cast was removed, or when the doctor allowed the bone to return to it's normal use.

I'm trying to make it so that multiple numbers can be chosen in case some have experience with multiple times of broken bones.

Thanks! If you would like to specify at how many weeks xrays were taken, that would be helpful as well.

When DD broke her arm, they took a set in the ER, a week after the cast was on to make sure it was set properly and then a set right before removal. . .or maybe that was DS. . .can't remember. I think it depends on how bad the break is too. If it's not a complete break i don't think there's as much risk of setting it wrong. . .but I don't know. . .

I'm not a dr. I just play one on TV.

I have no clue... i'll have to think about it.

She had 2 in the ER, , 2 in the doctors to check the set, 2 more after he recasted it and tried to reset it in the office (it worked, i won't do that again to that child though), and then 2 each visit to check on healing.... 2 at cast removal, 2 after wearing a brace for 4 weeks, then 2 more a few months later to make sure it had healed all the way.

It was a bad break on her forearm - she has growth issues anyway, and we were worried about NOT having it surgically set.

I just have no clue as to how many appointments she had during the 8 weeks with the cast..... at least 2?!

You know, I can't remember, but it was a lot. Of course there was one to look at the break. Then I think there was another one at the hospital to see if it was set. Then there were x-rays at every appointment, and it seems like there was more than one. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the surgeries and pins she had?

My dd broke her arm twice in the same summer a couple of years ago. She had to have surgery and pins both times. I *seem* to remember appointments at least every other week, maybe every week, with x-rays every time. I know when she broke it the 2nd time she was able to have a shortened cast half way through, and they checked it often to see how it was healing. It seemed like lots of x-rays though. I have blocked out a lot of that summer, LOL, and I just can't remember exactly.

Moe had six sets. One set on the Saturday night he broke his elbow, in the ER.

One set to confirm the cracked radial head at the orthopedist.

One set at each weekly visit during the three weeks he wore his cast.

One set after the cast was removed.

This is the only broken bone we've had, so it may have been because of his age (6 at the time) or where he broke it.

Guest wilnrandasmom

as to how many x-rays are needed. If it's a simple break, without complication, you'll have less x-rays done. If its a compound, or greenstick fracture, you'll end up likely having more, as these are more complicated breaks to work with. Most kids have simple breaks, and don't require a complicated treatment plan, as a rule.

Wow, and I thought when I started staying at home, my 13 yrs experience as a nurse would never be heard from again! LOL

For Christ,

Manda

how many xrays were taken?

Well, so far, with ds's broken foot, 6 --- 3 views initially (before cast), 3 views after cast removed (after about 2 wks, now in Camwalker), and I expect there will be 3 more in another couple of weeks. Depending on how it's healing, that may be it or not.

It really depends on WHERE the break is, too, and the age of the patient. The foot is tricky, because it's not always easy to see the fracture (because of bones superimposed on other bones), and in kids, you have growth plates that often can look like fractures. Same would go for hands, elbows, shoulders, etc. Also, there are standard views (e.g., if I order a chest xray, it typically will = a view from back to front AND a side view - so 2 xrays are more or less automatic. A foot series is typically 3 views, a knee series is at least 2, if not 3, and so forth.)

So, although my ds has had 6 xrays in the past 3 wks, I would say that's the appropriate amount.

(Maybe the poll was just for curiosity's sake, but I'm guessing that you are wondering if your ds has had an excessive number of films for his broken foot?)

I said 6 x-rays, but it was three sets of x-rays - from two angles.

The first time was at the urgent care clinic.

We had the cast put on about 3 days later, after the swelling was down, and they did a second set.

Then about 2 weeks into it, we had another set taken. We had opted to do this because DS really wanted a half arm cast instead of the kind that comes up above the elbow, but the doctor said he would only do it if he could take another set of x-rays to make sure it was setting right. We figured it was worth it.

Edited that subject line:)

before our HMO doctor would even agree to have an x-ray DONE! Despite the fact that DH could not move the arm more than 1/2" in any direction, the arm was entirely purple-black from shoulder to elbow, and DH had fallen very hard directly on his shoulder playing broomball (Don't ask, I TOLD DH broomball was a bad idea!) our primary care doc insisted he could tell "just by looking" that it wasn't broken and needed no x-ray.

After a week like this, I insisted DH go back and not leave the office without an x-ray. Doc finally backed down, and referred to ortho doc. The ortho took an x-ray, looked at it, and immediately scheduled DH for surgery the day after next. Primary care doc then REFUSED to do the pre-op, saying he was "too busy" to see DH. Ortho could not believe it, and had to call the primary doc and argue to get DH in.

Anyway, DH is the proud bearer of three titanium screws in his shoulder, and a large scar. And yes, he has played broomball since then.

However, we are no longer under an HMO, and reported the primary care doc to the HMO management. As far as I know, nothing ever came of it.

MIchelle T

You didn't give a high enough number!! Our 12 yos fractured/ displaced the 4 metacarpels in his right hand this summer. He had 3 each visit. First time day of the break they did 4(where the ER doc said they weren't broken.....but his hand was so swollen it was hard to read the x-ray) Radiologist calls 3 days later to say broken. 3 more x-rays that day to compare.

Then we went to the pediatric orthopedist....3 the first visit. 3 near the end. None at the end.

13 total.

I voted other because I had many broken bones and the experiences were not the same. I had 3 different views done on my elbow (actually, the humorus) when it was broken and then 2 different views before they considered it healed (at about 6 weeks). I actually broke this bone twice in one arm and once in the other.

When I broke my shoulder, I had 2 views but they did it 3 times. Once at the initial break, once at 5 weeks to see if it was healed. It was not, so they took them again at 8 weeks.

(Maybe the poll was just for curiosity's sake, but I'm guessing that you are wondering if your ds has had an excessive number of films for his broken foot?)

Actually, it's the opposite. I had to request xrays after 6.5 weeks and then the fracture was healing, but another part of the bone was deteriorating. Complications from a staph infection, we think...

Actually, it's the opposite. I had to request xrays after 6.5 weeks and then the fracture was healing, but another part of the bone was deteriorating. Complications from a staph infection, we think...

Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted about how things are going for your family and your son.

My ds broke his wrist and elbow. X-rays taken in emergency room, at ortho's office, at hospital when setting the bone, at ortho's office (with cast on) to check bone placement about a week later, cast removed and x-rayed a couple of weeks later then recasted, x-rayed again with cast on at 5 weeks, and finally after cast removed for final time at 6.5 weeks.

Cindy