Menu

Is there a 5th grade planning thread?

NatashaBrady

Is there a 5th grade planning thread yet? If not, what are your plans for your upcoming 5th grader?

So I totally changed this. New plan:

Genesis Curriculum-Book of Exodus

(Includes Bible, grammar, spelling, writing, vocabulary, science, social studies, and Hebrew)

Reading

A Mind for Math (part of Genesis Curriculum)

Edited by NatashaBrady

There was one a month or two ago. Here it is: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/585944-is-there-a-fifth-grade-planning-thread-yet/

Of course, we can do another one, since I know that some of my plans have already changed. :D

My 5th grader will be doing:

Math Mammoth 5

R&S English 5

R&S Spelling 5

Written narrations, outlines, lit. essays

Exploring Nature with Children + some God's Design science

R&S history with siblings

Logic Countdown

Lamb's Book of Art 1 + probably a few other art projects I find online

piano lessons

I'm still finalizing things, but here's what I think.

Math: Rod & Staff (finish 5th, start 6th)

Grammar: Rod & Staff 5

Spelling: Spelling Workout G or Rod & Staff 6

Latin: Second Form Latin

Writing: Classical Composition, written narrations and outlines

Literature: A few guides (Memoria Press and Progeny Press?) or just use WTM method

History: hmmm... possibly SOTW 3.  We're doing A Child's History of the World this year, heavily supplemented, and love it.  If we do SOTW, we'll probably do it our own way without the AG and add in outlining from KHE.  I don't want to do purely US history, but don't know what other options there are for that time period.

Science: Doing our own thing with tons of library books, nature center visits, and experiments here and there.  Probably start out with Anatomy and then do Astronomy, but will depend some on interest of kids.

Logic: Mind Benders?

Will continue with our weekly co-op, which is mainly elective type classes, and mom-made PE.

How do you search on the forum? (I am new here)

There was one a month or two ago. Here it is: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/585944-is-there-a-fifth-grade-planning-thread-yet/

Of course, we can do another one, since I know that some of my plans have already changed. :D

My 5th grader will be doing:

Math Mammoth 5

R&S English 5

R&S Spelling 5

Written narrations, outlines, lit. essays

Exploring Nature with Children + some God's Design science

R&S history with siblings

Logic Countdown

Lamb's Book of Art 1 + probably a few other art projects I find online

piano lessons

Spelling- Phonetic Zoo C

Vocabulary- Caesar's English

Grammar - last 1/2 of Analytical Grammar and CC essentials

Reading - Memoria Press books w/o guides

Writing - IEW Medieval and WWS

Poetry - Grammar of Poetry

Math - MM5 BA4

History- VPSP MAAR, Famous Men Middle Ages

Science - BF History of Science and Berian Builders Science in Ancient times

Extra - Philosophy Adventure

Geography-Mapping the world through Art

I have a hard time finding one curriculum that covers everything I want so I tend to throw different curriculums together.

Edited by Momto4inSoCal

My son is in 5th and this is what we're using this year:

Language Arts:  CLE

Math:  CLE

Writing:  The assignments from his LA CLE, the book Adventures in Fantasy (we love this), and a book I picked up called "Painless Writing." 

History:  SOTW4

Science:  The Story of Science by Joy Hakim, with the teacher's guide and workbook.  Teaching Science Processing Skills

Reading:  Reading all 7 Narnia books and using Roar and Further Up and Further In for activities.  (Roar is nice, but pretty much teaches us nothing.  I'd say don't bother with it and just use Further Up and Further In.)

Bible:  We memorize a small verse each week--I create fill-in-the blank sheets.  We read a chapter a day from the bible.  I read various bible study books I've picked up over the years out loud.

Guitar:  His dad teaches him.  Forget which program they use.

Art:  This website with the activities.  It's all free, except for printing out the pictures (option) and supplies.  I have been Very Pleased with this.  At the end of the year, we are going to the art museum in DC to see the actual pictures we've studied, since almost all of the pictures with the lesson plans are on display.  Will be SO COOL to see them in person.  I create a worksheet for the boys to fill in based on the lessons on this website.

http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/education/teachers/lessons-activities.html

Music:  The Vintage Guide to Classical Music.  The writing is waaay above his head.  I take a long time to pre-read sections and create worksheets for the boys to fill in and find samples of the music to listen to.  I'm creating everything from scratch and it's working for us, but is a lot of work for me.

Computer: 

https://studio.code.org/s/20-hour  My 8th grader does this with no problems (coding activities), but my 5th grader gets frustrated.  We were doing the non-computer activities at first and then got fed up with them and now we're just doing the computer activities.  It's ok, but not a year's worth of work.  Just a little something to do on the side.

• Like 1

I am a new homeschooler with a 5th grader

Math Jacobs Algebra with Veritas press with Zacarro, CWP and Aops thrown in

Literature 6 online with Veritas press

Grammar and writing 6 online with Veritas press

Creative writing class with wtma

Killgallon writing and some CAP

Spelling Phonetic Zoo C

Vocabulary English from roots up and classical roots

History and geography Moving beyond the page social studies with mapping the world through art

Science Ellen Mchenry chemistry, all 3 quark chronicle with notebook pages and science hands on at local coop

French or Spanish ?

Music and art appreciation at local coop

Others

Scratch programming

Competitive figure skating everyday practice

Ballet twice a week

Acting lessons once a week

Academic competitions

Edited by mom2vikha

Art:  This website with the activities.  It's all free, except for printing out the pictures (option) and supplies.  I have been Very Pleased with this.  At the end of the year, we are going to the art museum in DC to see the actual pictures we've studied, since almost all of the pictures with the lesson plans are on display.  Will be SO COOL to see them in person.  I create a worksheet for the boys to fill in based on the lessons on this website.

http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/education/teachers/lessons-activities.html

That site is nicely done--thanks for the link. :)

• Like 1

That's one busy girl!

I am a new homeschooler with a 5th grader

Math Jacobs Algebra with Veritas press with Zacarro, CWP and Aops thrown in

Literature 6 online with Veritas press

Grammar and writing 6 online with Veritas press

Creative writing class with wtma
Killgallon writing and some CAP

Spelling Phonetic Zoo C
Vocabulary English from roots up and classical roots

History and geography Moving beyond the page social studies with mapping the world through art

Science Ellen Mchenry chemistry, all 3 quark chronicle with notebook pages and science hands on at local coop

French or Spanish ?

Music and art appreciation at local coop

Others

Scratch programming

Competitive figure skating everyday practice
Ballet twice a week
Acting lessons once a week
Academic competitions

I will have a 5th grader this coming year. It will only be our second year of homeschooling, though, and I have no idea what we will do! 

We did RS math this year, level d. I think she will be finished but level E 2nd edition isn't out yet, so we will wait and see if it comes out before we start the school year. I didn't buy a language arts curriculum, but we used a combination of many things. I don't know that I like it. We did Root Words and Reading Detective, and Easy Grammar. I tried to teach writing but nothing in the curriculum was interesting and maybe I just didn't put it forth like I needed to. I may try that again. We used WriteShop. I liked the program although its a little scripted, and maybe that's why we didn't use it. She reads at a 7th grade level, and I really want a whole curriculum, with a good teacher's manual that has answers for everything. I have a dyslexic 8 year old and a 5 year old, so we have a full plate, and I've found myself skipping things so I don't have to grade them.  :crying:

I would love suggestions for an english curriculum for a very advanced 5th grader...

I'll have a 5th grader next year!

Language Arts:

-CLRC online lit class (includes grammar and some writing)

-Treasured Conversations

-Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary

-Spalding for Spelling and possibly R&S spelling 5 for some independent practice

Math

-Saxon 6/5

-Singapore 4

History

-VP Self-Paced Medieval

-SOTW 2

-various picture books

Science

-continue working through Kolbe's science plans

Chinese - haven't decided yet!

Extras: competitive gymnastics, ballet, piano, summer art camp

I will have a 5th grader this coming year. It will only be our second year of homeschooling, though, and I have no idea what we will do!

We did RS math this year, level d. I think she will be finished but level E 2nd edition isn't out yet, so we will wait and see if it comes out before we start the school year. I didn't buy a language arts curriculum, but we used a combination of many things. I don't know that I like it. We did Root Words and Reading Detective, and Easy Grammar. I tried to teach writing but nothing in the curriculum was interesting and maybe I just didn't put it forth like I needed to. I may try that again. We used WriteShop. I liked the program although its a little scripted, and maybe that's why we didn't use it. She reads at a 7th grade level, and I really want a whole curriculum, with a good teacher's manual that has answers for everything. I have a dyslexic 8 year old and a 5 year old, so we have a full plate, and I've found myself skipping things so I don't have to grade them. :crying:

I would love suggestions for an english curriculum for a very advanced 5th grader...

We use Analytical Grammar. It's supposed to be for 6th grade and up but my 4th grader has no problem with it. We also started WWS also geared for 6th grade and up but its been fine. The other curriculum I've looked at is lightening literature which is 7th and up but if your dd is at 7th grade level she should be able to handle it.

Grammar-Rod and Staff English 5

Spelling- Spelling Wisdom

Writing-cursive copywork or cursive spelling dictation (alternate), journal, start written narrations.

History/Bible/Geography-SCM Ancient Egypt, Genesis-Deuteronomy, Visits to Africa

Math-MEP year 5

Science-Considering God's Creation

Reading-reads to me 5 min or so from assigned reading 1-2x/week for elocution. Also, reads aloud in short rotations with evening family read alouds.

Spanish-Duolingo supplementing with online videos, Spanish library books, and light conversations with Spanish friends

Music-a local music foundations class. Piano lessons.

PE/health- informal except basketball for 3 months.

Art-TBD

Other-poetry memory work and recitations, English from the Roots Up (flash cards only), a few family read alouds and independent lit reading assignments.

This looks like a lot when I write it out! I will have to carve out some downtime. Not everything mentioned will take place the entire school year.

Edited by TX native

I have an upcoming 5th grade girl who struggles.

As of now my plan includes:

Finish Saxon 5/4 and move on to 6/5

Quark Chronicles and note booking for science

Pages of History Volume 1

Famous Figures Ancients

History Pockets Ancient Civilizations

Jump In Writing

Amish Pathway reader 5

Critical and Creative Thinking 5

Cat and Mouse logic puzzle from Timberdoodle

Various literature books of her choosing

Spelling:  AAS 4/5
Grammar:  Winston Grammar
Reading:  CLE Reading, Mosdos readers & poetry unit
Writing:  Bravewriter mix
Math:  BJU 5...I think....
History:  MoH - either finishing Vol. 1 or starting vol. 2
Science:  Apologia Zoology 3

Art:  A mix of my own making...
Geography:  TFB...and?
Other:  Swimming, soccer & skating

I don't think I've forgotten anything...

We don't usually start new levels in the fall. We just keep going whenever we finish one thing.

Math - currently doing Beast Academy level 4

History and Geography - Biblioplan Year 3

Writing - currently working on IEW SWI-A, not sure what he'll do when he finishes that one

Grammar - nothing right now - maybe Easy Grammar

Science - Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage

Math: CLE Math 400

Language Arts: Living Language Arts (by Cindy West)
                           Language Arts courses through Schoolhouse Teachers

Natural Speller

Reading: Homemade Reading List

Science: Apologia Science- probably the Anatomy book

History: American Girl history read alouds

Music: Violin lessons- year two
            Theory Time- Grade 3

Edited by crmasheppard

Math: Saxon 65, Beast Academy 4

Science: Oak Meadow 5 Environmental Science, Critical Thinking Co. Science Detective

American/World History: Oak Meadow 5 US History, CNN Student News

Classical History: Veritas Press Self-paced NTGR, Connect the Thoughts Greece and Rome, additional readings

English: Spelling Power, Hake Grammar &Writing 5

Literature: VP Self-paced Omnibus I Secondary

Art: Connect the Thoughts Animation II, Phonics of Drawing, Art Adventures in Narnia

soccer, cross country, fitness/triathlon training

LA:  MCT Town Level and writing and Rhetoric Narrative II and Chreia, Pentime for handwriting (No spelling for the first time this year, just vocab in Caesar's English)

Reading and Reasoning from CAP

Math:  finishing A Beka 4 and Beast Academy 4 and 5, transitioning fully to BA before AOPS (LOF and Zacarro as a supplement)

Spanish with Children

History: Finishing Modern History with SOTW and other resources and then transitioning to TOG Ancients,

Maps, Charts and Graphs workbook for geography 

Science: RS4K Chemistry and Geology with science kits

Music:  Guitar and Choir

Art: Artistic Pursuits

PE:  horseback riding

Bible:  Summit/Apologia Who is God series

I'm still working on my plans for next year. I can't believe my oldest will be in 5th grade! Ah!

Bible: CAP New Testament 1 and listening in to BSGFAA with her younger siblings

Math: RS Geometry, finish MM4 and work on MM 5

Grammar: Hake 5

Spelling: Phonics Road Level 3 (we've already done the first half so we'll do the second half)

Writing: WWE 4 (maybe?), CAP Writing and Rhetoric Chreia and maybe the next level after that

Logic: Fallacy Detective and some Prufrock books (maybe Orbiting with Logic)

Spanish: Galore Park Spanish 1

Latin: Latin for Children A

History: Tapestry of Grace Year 1 

Science: online chemistry with Landry and I don't know what else......maybe a BJU text? 

Lots of read alouds and some independent reading - still making a book list

I'm still working on my plans for next year. I can't believe my oldest will be in 5th grade! Ah!

I can't believe my YOUNGEST will be in 5th grade! Ah! LOL!

I planned this year with remediation in mind because of dd's writing issues, and it has been the most stress-free year ever. I'll probably continue doing similar stuff, but I need to re-evaluate writing and consider if it's time to move on and beef things up.

Math: Singapore 5A/B US; followed by Extra Practice or Beast; EM Daily Math

Science: Apologia Land Animals at her request (may add in the notebook to try to slowly work writing in to the content areas)

History: Builders of the Old World (though I have yet to see it in person)

HWT: the next cursive book

Copywork: Modern Speller

Writing: Just Write 3 and then maybe the EPS Paragraph books (but I also have MC4+ on my shelf)

Reading: CLE Reading followed by interest led reading

Grammar: JAG followed by Killgallon (though she might insist on Easy Grammar again); Daily Grams or EM Daily Language

Latin: First Form

I just feel there are too many LA pieces. I wish I could streamline. 

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 1

I keep changing my mind.

Either Sonlight Core F w/ Science

or Heart of Dakota Creation to Christ

with Math Mammoth, R&S English, Visual Latin, Building Thinking Skills

and time for drawing, nature study, Khan Academy, Code Academy, maybe an instrument, etc. 

Bible: CAP New Testament 1 and listening in to BSGFAA with her younger siblings

Math: RS Geometry, finish MM4 and work on MM 5

Grammar: Hake 5

Spelling: Phonics Road Level 3 (we've already done the first half so we'll do the second half)

Writing: WWE 4 (maybe?), CAP Writing and Rhetoric Chreia and maybe the next level after that

Logic: Fallacy Detective and some Prufrock books (maybe Orbiting with Logic)

Spanish: Galore Park Spanish 1

Latin: Latin for Children A

History: Tapestry of Grace Year 1 

Science: online chemistry with Landry and I don't know what else......maybe a BJU text? 

Lots of read alouds and some independent reading - still making a book list

Are you doing Mammoth and Right Start? I am looking at something like this for my dd for next year, possibly. I don't want it to be too overwhelming...what MM are you using?

My dd will be finishing up RS Level D this spring/summer. I can't decide for sure what to do after that.

For writing, we are starting WWE level 3 (she's probably more advanced than that in general but she is way behind in a few things from public school so I wanted to ease her in), and FLL level 3 as well. Its probably overkill, but I think we can fly through both of those. Then we might look at IEW or another level of WWE or maybe the creative writing. She loves to write.

She will also do Easy Grammar as she chooses...she likes workbooks and is about half way through that. 

For History, we are working through MOH 1, and probably won't finish it. I have two younger students and its a slow go, lol.

For Science, we may start Apologia, but I don't know. She is doing an ABEKA health book now and she likes it a lot. Its a LOT more advanced than what she had in public school.

Yes. I use MM and RS together. My dd needs extra math practice and reinforcement. And because I've always been terrible at math I'm insecure about using just one program. I don't want my kids to struggle like I did. I want them to have more confidence.

Anyway, it's working really well for us. My dd has been in RS E this year and working through MM 3. She got a little behind in MM. We are just starting 4 and will work on it some this summer.

My second child will be in 5th grade this fall.

I am planning:

Math: Math Mammoth 5

Language Arts, Science, Social Studies: Continue MBtP 8-10

Spelling: Sequential Spelling DVDs

Music: Homeschool Band

Enrichment program: P.E., Science, Art, Bible, Music topics

Almost the same as the 3rd-grade schedule I posted, this is what my 5th-grade dd will be doing for 2016/17

For all my kids I have year subscriptions to Kitchen Table Passport and Spangler Science Kits. I am also going to try my best to put out a surprise Adventure Box (seen at Blog, She Wrote) at least once a month.

Language arts -  Bravewriter lifestyle (poetry, tea party, free write, etc), Quiver of Arrows and Partnership Writing

Cozy Grammar Basic & Cozy Grammar Punctuation 

AAS 3

Reading from a stack of books we chose together

Math -               Going to give Math on the Level a try and I have years 3 & 4 of Beast Academy which she just started working on.

Lot's of living math books, board/card games, etc.

Science/S.S. -   I purchased some Thinking Tree Journals to help guide us through "delight directed learning" for these subjects. Also plan to listen to SotW 2                                  audio book while we are in the car. 

Home Art Studio - I just purchased the full set so I think we'll just start with Kindergarten since they all look fun. 

• 5 weeks later...

Are you doing Mammoth and Right Start? I am looking at something like this for my dd for next year, possibly. I don't want it to be too overwhelming...what MM are you using?

My dd will be finishing up RS Level D this spring/summer. I can't decide for sure what to do after that.

For writing, we are starting WWE level 3 (she's probably more advanced than that in general but she is way behind in a few things from public school so I wanted to ease her in), and FLL level 3 as well. Its probably overkill, but I think we can fly through both of those. Then we might look at IEW or another level of WWE or maybe the creative writing. She loves to write.

She will also do Easy Grammar as she chooses...she likes workbooks and is about half way through that.

For History, we are working through MOH 1, and probably won't finish it. I have two younger students and its a slow go, lol.

For Science, we may start Apologia, but I don't know. She is doing an ABEKA health book now and she likes it a lot. Its a LOT more advanced than what she had in public school.

Do you not think EG and FLL are overkill?