Menu

let's talk cars . . .(re: mid-size suv)

gardenmom5

eta:  - specifically  - mid-sized suv.  not interested in sedans or small suvs.)

I will be replacing my car within the next few months to a year (at most.) - unless something happens to it and I have to do it on the fly (three of the last five car purchases were on the fly - two of those were dh's . . . . )

(I want awd - and I'm inclined towards upper price range of mid-size NON-luxury suvs.  I have two kids at home, but we still occasionaly do things . . . iow: I really don't "need" a third row . . . it's just I've had one for 26 years.  I won't know how to adapt if I don't have a functional one. I absolutely do not want a small suv.)

I currently have a chrysler awd minivan.  I like the room, I like the mid-row captians chairs, I like the umph on an uphill (we have alot of hills.  a. lot. ). . .  I like that I can haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood laying flat - not to mention everything else I have put in that car!

I like how the toyota highlander handles - I do NOT like the third row/and the lousy cargo area.  I thought about the 4runner - but it almost seems too truck-like. 

I don't like how the honda pilot handles (I was so unimpressed during a test drive, I didn't even bother taking it on the freeway) - but it seems like it has cargo area and it gets high marks . .

so, what else to look at?  (I won't buy GM or chrysler.  I don't like kia or hyundai - so, they're out.)

any suggestions?  I want a durable, and comfortable mid-suv.

Edited by gardenmom5

Pilot actually had really crappy storage. Shockingly tiny amount of space.

You said you don't want small, so I won't sell you on what we have. I will say that my partner test drove tons of these and we decided that there was only one SUV that was worth it considering all the $$$ we'd spend on gas, and it was small. Otherwise we'd have to go minivan.

Well, my suggestion was, drive two cars and just deal with it, and save on money for the commute, rent a car for camping, but he disagreed so he went and bought the Rogue.

However, I think if he decides to spend less on a car, he'll go for a van.

I hate spending money on gas for my commute but with five kids and no commute it makes sense for you to get what you want.

Oh, be sure to check out the ratings on the surprisingly low-priced Mercedes SUV. They are terrible! We were disappointed. We finally thought we'd get a Mercedes, LOL.

I hate them, but have you considered a Subaru? I have a Nissan and have been extremely impressed with their current line, including cars smaller than my big van. I'd start with those two.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I'm no help - we went from a Chrysler T&C (great storage!) to a Honda Accord. I call it my vroom vroom :) :auto:

We were thinking Subaru Outback for a while - that would fit your AWD needs. How about a Nissan Murano? I like the RAV4, but the back seat was too "squishy" according to my 11-year old. We occasionally need to fit 3 back there.

I was also seriously tempted by the CR-V, but it really doesn't have the cargo space a minivan has, and again the "squish" factor. The Accord has a bigger back seat, but it won't haul plywood. We decided just to do rentals for the rare times we need more space. Gas mileage won.

We're replacing my dh's dead Alfa Romeo with an Opel Zafira (not  sure of the spelling).  It has an optional 3rd row, and without it -- lots of storage.  But, that's here in Italy.

Stateside, we'd be looking at a Ford Explorer  (I'd prefer the 7-seat option Grand C-Max, but the US version of this is on-hold for now).  We're "downsizing" space in our cars now...but still want some flexibility when kids return, car-pooling, that kind of thing.)  With the optional 3rd rows for any of these vehicles the storage space is essentially non-existent.  You would have to move up to a mini van.  We've been driving a smaller minivan for 14 1/2 years now, so I'm fairly used to the non-existent storage in the back.  But, as we are 2 years away from the oldest being gone, and I'm usually just driving the kids around, these cars have enough room for what we do on a regular basis, as well as being great for trips, once we add the roof-top carrier.  Once I'm down 2 kids in 4 years, the back seats will be down most of the time anyway.

We replaced a Dodge grand caravan with a Prius.

We have five adult sized people. I thought I would hate it and not get used to it. We really had to replace the van. The Prius was offered very cheaply by a relative. That was four years ago. I've gotten used to not having space and we all like driving it. I and two of the kids go on a lot of trips together in it. We are efficient packers and have gone camping and on weeklong trips to places where in addition to our own clothing we need gear and a cooler.

I was really surprised at how well the smaller vehicle has worked. It's 10 years old. Our other vehicle is a 16 year old Forester. When we get another vehicle we will start our search with those makes and models.

• Like 1

We replaced our poor sweet baby sedan after the crash totaled it with a Jeep Compass that I love.  Yes, Jeep is part of Chrysler now, but still a nice not-huge SUV.  Plenty of space for our Labrador in the back, too. You could fit four adults, with a smaller person in the back middle, or two adults and three kids, easily. 

Edited by JFSinIL

We have a Nissan Armada. It is a full size SUV not mid but here is why I am recommending:

*It has a third row seat that folds down into the floor. I don't know if that is common recently but all of the other SUVs we have had in the past you had to take the third row out of the vehicle if you didn't want it sticking up into the cargo space when folded down which was a giant pain

*At least around here it is easier to find a good deal on them because they don't seem to be as popular as some of the other SUVs that everyone is driving.

*They get excellent reliability ratings among consumers; you basically have to get oil changes and change the tires once in awhile and that's it.

I absolutely love the way it drives and handles and it's a nice looking vehicle. Gas mileage isn't great but that's an SUV thing anyway. It has full 4 wheel drive plus Auto 4WD which functions like AWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing about all mid-sized SUV's and the third row seat is that they're all very tight.   Your only other choice, from what I've seen, is going to a bigger sized SUV.  I was in the market last summer for just what you're looking for.   I know it's not on your list, but I opted for a Highlander.  I was extra lucky to find the Highlander in a hybrid for 2-3K under what I was normally seeing for sale.

I needed a 3rd row seat because I do carpool and, very occasionally, I need to bring my grandkids with me.   There is really only room for one person to sit back there, and then they go sideways.  But, it's so infrequent that I need that 3rd row, that it was worth it for me to get the Highlander rather than get a larger SUV.

thanks for the suggestions. I really like my T&C - but it's getting old, needs to be replaced, and I really don't want to get yet another minivan.  (I've driven one for 26 years) 

a mid-size suv is as downsized as I want to go.  I'm sure I'll end up test driving the highlander and pilot again (it's bigger.  supposedly the 2016 has been completely revamped.), and I'll add the nissan pathfinder to the mix of cars to compare.  I don't want anything smaller. (and absolutely do not want a sedan) 

I am starting to look for a new car, too.  I have been driving a suburban for 12 years, and a mini van before that.  Our two oldest will be at college next year, leaving 2 at home, so it may be time to downsize, but I'm not ready for a smaller car.  We still need to carry instruments and kids and sports stuff.  And we will still have summer vacations and camping with scouts and car pooling.  I will be following this thread!

My sister had a Toyota Highlander and recently traded it in for a Kia Sorento.  She loves it.  It has 3 rows of 2 seats each. I think.  Maybe the back row has 3 seats, but I don't think so.  She says it is roomier and more comfortable than the Highlander.  

My husband is pushing for a Subaru Outlander or Forester, but I'm not a fan - not enough seats.  I'd rather stick with the suburban or go with a mini van.  I have a friend with the Ford Explorer with 3 rows.  She says getting in to the back row is awkward.

Anyway, no answer, but let us know what you decide!!

I am starting to look for a new car, too.  I have been driving a suburban for 12 years, and a mini van before that.  Our two oldest will be at college next year, leaving 2 at home, so it may be time to downsize, but I'm not ready for a smaller car.  We still need to carry instruments and kids and sports stuff.  And we will still have summer vacations and camping with scouts and car pooling.  I will be following this thread!

My sister had a Toyota Highlander and recently traded it in for a Kia Sorento.  She loves it.  It has 3 rows of 2 seats each. I think.  Maybe the back row has 3 seats, but I don't think so.  She says it is roomier and more comfortable than the Highlander.  

My husband is pushing for a Subaru Outlander or Forester, but I'm not a fan - not enough seats.  I'd rather stick with the suburban or go with a mini van.  I have a friend with the Ford Explorer with 3 rows.  She says getting in to the back row is awkward.

Anyway, no answer, but let us know what you decide!!

I've a friend who did an excusion because the suburban wouldn't fit in his garage.  he's also done landcruiser - anyway, big stuff that's smaller than the suburban.  he was towing stuff regularly.

do you care if it has a v8?  that's cut alot of stuff out for me.  I'm not towing and I don't need one.

I looked at a bunch of mid-size SUVs when I retired my Odyssey. I thought I was going to get a Nissan Pathfinder but ended up buying a used Infiniti JX35 (now called QX60). It was less than 2 years old, cost less than a new Pathfinder, and has a lot more features.

how is it for size?

I've thought about a used luxury mid-size, maybe a lexus gx - i think the rx is too small.)

eta: from what I've seen, I really don't want one.

Edited by gardenmom5

So not a car person. We bought a Ford Flex with bucket seats in the second row. Everyone says it is the most comfortable second and third row. I do not love how the car looks but we can drive with three tall kids and all are comfortable. 

My advice (it helped me eliminate some) was to bring the vehicle home and pack it for a typical day or a weekend trip. It made a huge difference that with all the kids we carpool with back and forth that one SUV would not even fit all the kids, backpacks, and my teacher stuff. 

I hate car shopping.

• Like 1

We have a 2015 Mazda 9.  The 3rd row folds flat.  The front and middle seats have LOTS of leg room- so a quick adjustment and the 3rd row does too!  

Mazda's have a good rating.

The 2016 Mazda 9 will have a redesigned dash and will have better mileage... we are considering trading up... or at least DH is-- I really like MY car... 

I drove Suburbans before we got the 9.. it is a nice change-- but still plenty of room.

I test drove the Honda Pilot and the Toyota Highlander... the 3rd seat on the Mazda 9 had the most room/comfort.  The Mazda 9 was also less expensive!

DH has had a 2014 Mazda 3 (4 door hatch) and LOVES it...before that he had Hondas (other than the Suburban needed for horse stuff we were a 'Honda family').

I guess we are a Mazda family now...