Menu

stuck in math, waiting for reading fluency? (WWYD)

Lucy the Valiant

Kid is done with Singapore 1A/1B, reallllly wants to move forward to 2A/2B, but doesn't have the reading skills to do independent work.

Older sibs have all gone through all of SM.

Options:

1. sit with him and read every single thing (leaning toward this, but when I need to be done for the day, what to give him?)

2. give him wordless drill-work while we wait for reading (but the drudgery!)

3. find a different math system that doesn't depend on words?

4. other???

He adores the constantly-fresh concepts in SM - loves math in general. Anyone BTDT?

My almost 8yo, dyslexic DS is not reading fluently and just started Singapore 2B yesterday. I have done Singapore with all three of my children, two of whom are dyslexic. I would not hold him back in math at all due to reading fluency. There is plenty of work in the Singapore workbooks that can be done independently by a student who is not yet reading. We do the lessons together and the word problems together. I help with the instructions in the workbook. When I want extra independent work, the mental math at the back of the instructors guide is great. If Singapore is working, there is no need to change. It's such a great program. 

• Like 5

For my late readers, I have read them their math problems. My math and physics geek ds (now a college student) is dyslexic. He did not read on grade level until late 4th/early 5th grade. In 2nd grade he still struggled with simple Frog and Toad books. His math skills, however, were exceptional. By 10 he was ready for alg. Reading him his problems meant he was able to be successful without being held back by his reading level.

• Like 5

Option 1 - could an older sibling help with this? Could you do it while doing something else (eg laundry, grading papers, etc) where you can be on retainer to read but otherwise working?

Option 2 - sounds yucky

Option 3 - Miquon?

Option 4 - apps like DragonBox, DreamBox, etc independently and focus on developing reading abilities?

Math word problems often repeat familiar phrases--now how much, more than, how many would, etc.    For a couple of my children who were slower gaining reading fluency, I found that repetitiveness helpful to them.

No experience with Singapore, but I would try to get the kid to read as many of the questions himself as possible, only helping the kid sound out words the kid can't figure out independently, and then, if necessary, reading the entire question out loud after the kid has read the question (if reading was so hard it was impossible to focus on the math while decoding the question).

I would keep reading him the instructions and word problems. If reading is hard for him and he likes math, then let math be his "easy" work. Please don't make his love of math wane by forcing him to read it. And it will if reading feels like too much work. He'll catch up with reading and be reading those problems soon enough. I have a 9 year old who is just now catching on to reading, but has been and still can be successful in math because I read it to him.

Edited by ShariM
  • Like 1