Menu

FYI: Amazon Increases Free Shipping Minimum to $49

Arcadia

Shop local!

Our local indie bookseller will order any book for you (incl. 10% to 20% off cover price) w/ free shipping & have it in store, ready for pick up in one to two days.

Except the only local bookstores that still exist in my town have foil covered windows and names like Lucky Lady. Plus, bookstores don't sell crates of toilet paper. Prime, ftw!!

• Like 4

I remember when Amazon would offer coupons for $10 off an order of $25 or more, plus free shipping. That was right after they branched out from just books. They partnered with Toys R Us/Babies R Us for a while, and I can remember buying Christmas gifts for the kids I babysat with those coupons, so 1999.

A hike to $49 would sell me on Prime if I hadn't already gotten it. Spending almost $50 at once when I only need half of the stuff right away would make it less appealing. As it is, I love Prime because I usually get it faster than I have a chance to drive to WalMart or Staples.

Yup, I'm not paying the Prime price for free shipping.  I tend to save up stuff in my cart and pay when I have enough for free shipping without the Prime.  If the prices continue to go up to take advantage of free shipping, I will just wait longer.  If I need something promptly, I'll buy local. 

Shop local!

Our local indie bookseller will order any book for you (incl. 10% to 20% off cover price) w/ free shipping & have it in store, ready for pick up in one to two days.

Well, I can buy books locally, from an independent book seller, but I don't buy that many books. I mostly borrow from the library...my dh is a librarian so...

But, everything else isn't local. I could shop at Target up at the mall or from Amazon... I'll go with Amazon b/c I don't have to drive to the mall. 

If I want something else then I do look around for local stores. I bought the kids bento boxes at our local 'green home goods' store, for example.  But for things like vitamins and sun screen and toothbrushes things like that, if I can't get it at Wegmans for a better price, I am usually having it delivered from Amazon.

FYI, our indie bookseller is a used bookstore. But, they will also order any new book you want.

So, if you happen to have a used bookstore around, it might be worth visiting/asking....

I wish the city I work in had any kind of bookseller, other than the Friends of the Library.

There are two B&Ns in the surrounding cities, but that's not going to appeal to those with little to no regular transportation or money for public trans.

But this is starting to sway too far from the original topic. Used and non-Amazon based booksellers are oases of treasures, I agree. It's just awful how few and far between they are.