Menu

Bunk bed considerations? weight limits? twin over twin/full?

matrips

We are in the process of buying bunks for our boys.  They are 11 and just want more space in their room; they are small/lightweight for their age- around 70 lbs each.

I was thinking twin over full just so they could sit on the bed without hitting their head.  Figured it might be handy.  Or would they be just better off with more floor space in their room.  Their room is not especially large.  Experiences?

How sturdy are your bunks?  I was told the ones we're looking at are 250lbs weight limit.  Tested to 400, but 250 in reality.  Can your beds hold an adult?  These also have metal bar slats instead of wood ones.  Not sure which is better.  Drawers or a pullout bed are options.  They have friends sleep over frequently, so thinking of the pullout bed, though the drawers would be handy for everyday usage. Currently we just use air mattresses for the guests.

Anything else we should consider?  Thanks.

Twin over twin was what I had when I shared a bedroom with my brother.

Whoever wiggle alot while sleeping should get the lower bunk else you would find the bed vibrating more.

My male cousins have the metal ones (no wood) which has welded and riveted joints. My cousins max out at about 150lbs each even as adults.

I have the wood ones with metal hooks for the corners and they got kick out by me unintentionally. So we have to check the joints every night before sleeping.

My aunts and MIL has a spare bedroom where they lean three twin mattress against the wall when not in use. They can put up to three twin mattresses (2 side by side and 1 across) if they have three guests.

When my brother was a under 3, he would sleep on a matress on the floor and we would put the mattress bottoms up on my bed in the morning to free up the floor space.

Do you have ceiling fans? Dd stayed the night at a friend's house. The girls who live there were used to being cautious of the ceiling fan when on the top bunk. Dd was not. The next morning she was struck across the forehead and required stitches.

I'm just throwing that out there for consideration as you make your plans.

We have two sets of wooden twin over twin.  The older kids have moved on from their set, but it is sturdy enough for any adult because we put plywood on the rails under the mattresses and screwed the whole thing together for reinforcement.  The kids' room is large enough that someone would have to do serious gymnastics to reach the ceiling fan. 

If I had a smaller kid's room I would rather have a twin over futon to keep the floor space open.

Do you have ceiling fans? Dd stayed the night at a friend's house. The girls who live there were used to being cautious of the ceiling fan when on the top bunk. Dd was not. The next morning she was struck across the forehead and required stitches.

I'm just throwing that out there for consideration as you make your plans.

This is why we didn't put a ceiling fan in the kids' bedroom.

My daughter has a room with high ceilings. We went with a loft bed for her so she has a desk and drawers. It was a nice use of the high ceiling space. You can put a 2nd bed under it in a T shape, although we never have. I have slept in the loft several times and it is very sturdy. Just know that sheets are not easy to change for the top bed. That is the only drawback for a bunk or loft. 

When I was young, we had trundle beds. The lower bed rolled easily under the top bed so there was plenty of floor space and the sheets were easier to change!

• Like 1

I chose twin over twin to preserve as much floor space as possible.

I have slept with both of my kids (all 3 of us together) on their bunks, and so far no problems.  :)  The nice thing about bunk beds is that kids can't really jump on them - not that your 11yos would do that ....

With high ceilings, my choice would be a high loft bed.  You can have a secret hideout below in the early years, and then a desk and table or dresser later on, and they climb up and get some privacy as well.  Friends who have these used 'sleep over' sleeping bags as their bedding, since they were easy to pull off the bed, wash, and throw back up there.  Sheets and blankets were too hard to maneuver. 

I've seen lovely set ups on the internet where a set of steps up to the loft was build of wooden drawer cases for storage.