Menu

I'm Not Ready for This!

MrsWeasley

We had a dating age requirement in long before anyone brought up the subject.  It sounds like a good time to consider your future rules. :thumbup1:

My parents had an age requirement of 17 when I was a kid, and it really didn't work well. I started dating a guy at 14 and just lied about it, for years. (Yes, I'm a weirdo who married their high school sweetheart.) I ended up marrying and having kids with that guy. I don't want that kind of relationship with my kids. But, I also kind of thought I had a few years!

Edited by MrsWeasley

Yeah, I spent a long time brainwashing my kids into the 'it's pointless before you're an adult, it's just going to distract you and end up in heartbreak, trust me, I'm your mother and I know these things!"

We managed to get to 16 before one daughter started dating; the other is waiting till she's ready for a serious relationship. Ds has a 'crush' but he thinks dating while 12 is so silly.

So I'm guessing the brainwashing kind of worked. 

I married my high school sweetheart, so I think I messed that up.

• Like 1

When DS was in public school kindergarten before we started homeschooling, two girls were arguing over whose boyfriend he was. One girl was from his class and the other he didn't know. He's also made plans to marry one of the other girls he knows from first grade. I blame an episode of "Arthur" that was about weddings. We've told them that they have lots of time to think about dating and marriage when they are older, and their dad and I didn't even meet until college. I'm not sure if we'll ever tell them that DH was once engaged to his high school sweetheart but then grew up more and changed his mind, but maybe one day if they get too serious too young.

Give it a month. Valentine's day just passed! Poor kids are inundated with it:)

At coop we just spent about 3 weeks with kids age 4-11 having various boyfriends, girlfriends, etc., until we just told them we weren't having it at coop:)

My dd6 came home from the party and old me she had a crush on a girl:)

Okaaay...I wasn't ready for that, but said okay, who is it and what do you like about them? Turns out the older kids had told her a crush was when you really liked someone and wanted to have dates (which she took as play dates!) with...

😄

• Like 1

My ds wrote a marriage proposal on the front sidewalk with sidewalk chalk in kindergarten. Another son used to sneak my Lands End swimsuit catalog with him at nap time when he was 4. We were very strict with media and what they were exposed to. They were just very interested at a young age.

We don't forbid teen dating. I knew when they were little it would be a losing battle. Some kids are just wired more that way.

That said, you do not need to let your nine year old have a boyfriend :)

Give it a month. Valentine's day just passed! Poor kids are inundated with it:)

At coop we just spent about 3 weeks with kids age 4-11 having various boyfriends, girlfriends, etc., until we just told them we weren't having it at coop:)

My dd6 came home from the party and old me she had a crush on a girl:)

Okaaay...I wasn't ready for that, but said okay, who is it and what do you like about them? Turns out the older kids had told her a crush was when you really liked someone and wanted to have dates (which she took as play dates!) with...

😄

I was wondering where this came from, but V-Day totally makes sense. 

• Like 1