Menu

Help!!! How do I remove this?

Melinda S in TX

I'm not in a very kind mood right now, and I've had it with my contractor.  How do I get Goo Gone off of things?  I have come home to find everything in my new kitchen coated with it.  He has coated everything including the trim, cabinets, doors, pantry shelves, and floor with it.  It's nasty, and we can't touch anything for the oily mess.  Not to mention the stink of a room coated in Goo Gone.

Start with Dawn if you have it on hand? Or go get a good spray degreaser?

I used Goo Gone for a small patch on my son's shirt to get adhesive tag residue off. After washing it with regular detergent, it needed a second go-round with Dawn put directly on the still-oily place where the Goo Gone was.

Erica in OR

To make everything look shiny. We can't even go in the room until I figure out how to get this stuff off the floor. This is just another one of the messed up/unconventional things he has done.

That is bizarre! He told you this? I would ask him to fix this.

So sorry!

• Like 5

Well, first I'd tell him to remove it.

Goof Off might work.  It's a solvent and leaves no residue (though it does have a strong smell, and it will remove paint and other finishes).  

If you are concerned about the finish, then you'll need a degreasing detergent of some sort.  Dawn?  409?  If you're concerned that water will hurt the wood, you might try Murphy's Oil Soap.  It is great for cutting through greasy kitchen grime.  It might work for Goof Off.

What a bozo.  

• Like 2

It does make things shine because it leaves an oily residue.  He lied outright and denied him or his men using goo gone on anything.  I saw the bottle of goo gone a couple of days ago, and two of the children saw him on his hands and knees with a rag and the goo gone bottle, rubbing it on the floor.  He ruined my brand new mop which I had just bought because his men broke my last mop.  I don't know what he did with it, but I can't get whatever it is out.  I had just bought it and never used it.  They also used our animal water buckets, some of which I just got last week, with cleaners and chemicals.  So now I have replace (again) my mop and get new buckets because I can't take a chance on making my animals sick.  I'm at the point of just getting rid of him and fixing his mess after he is gone, but I have been advised (lawyer and another contractor) to let him "finish" to avoid being sued for breach of contract.  The longer he stays, the more mess, work, and money it is for me.

I was going to repeat the...make him remove it...However, now I'm wondering if he is messing with you.  Does he know you you spoke with people about his work?

It does make things shine because it leaves an oily residue.  He lied outright and denied him or his men using goo gone on anything.  I saw the bottle of goo gone a couple of days ago, and two of the children saw him on his hands and knees with a rag and the goo gone bottle, rubbing it on the floor.  He ruined my brand new mop which I had just bought because his men broke my last mop.  I don't know what he did with it, but I can't get whatever it is out.  I had just bought it and never used it.  They also used our animal water buckets, some of which I just got last week, with cleaners and chemicals.  So now I have replace (again) my mop and get new buckets because I can't take a chance on making my animals sick.  I'm at the point of just getting rid of him and fixing his mess after he is gone, but I have been advised (lawyer and another contractor) to let him "finish" to avoid being sued for breach of contract.  The longer he stays, the more mess, work, and money it is for me.

Did he spill something and it splattered on cupboards, so he tried to clean it off and now has to clean everything to cover himself?  What contractor has time to clean and make things shiny?  Mine never did, but he did recommend mild soaps to clean tiles...I would not say Goo Gone is a mild soap. I would have him remove it. I am sorry for your disappointment!

No, no.  If he has breached the contract already by damaging your home, you are not required to let him finish and damage it more.