Menu

4th Grade Planning Thread 2016-2017

I'm interested to hear how you will wrap up 3rd grade, what your summer plans are and what you are planning for 4th grade in 2016/2017...

I'll go first:

Spring 2016 (3rd grade)-

Finish Abeka LA3

Continue Sonlight LA3 Copywork and Composition Exercises

Continue Phonetic Zoo (with some tweaking)

Finish CLE Math 300

Finish SOTW Vol 1

Classical Conversations Cycle 1

Start some sort of Character Education / Virtues Study

Read, read, read

Summer 2016

Lots of reading

Lots of outside time

Art Camp

Soccer Camp

Math and Geography games

2016/2017

CLE Math 400

Phonetic Zoo

SOTW Vol 2

Classical Conversations Foundations

Classical Conversations Essentials??

Interest-led Science

Books, books, books

Art, soccer, gymnastics, horseback riding, piano and Scouts (not all at the same time)

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm posting in a 4th grade thread!  I remember when he was my BABY!  lol

This spring- wrapping up SM4b (after a very slow move through 4a, we are zooming through b), reading, a French correspondence course, duolingo German, and... that's about it.  

This summer:  Continuing core subjects probably 3x a week (making lots of room for activities and friends), lots of reading time

This fall:

SM 5

Lit Studies: Hopefully using Teaching The Classics materials for the first time!  I'm excited about this!  

Writing:  A more focused look at non-fiction writing, perhaps looking at the multi-paragraph structure... but not decided yet.  

Spelling- continuing Apples and Pears

Science- Ellen McHenry stuff probably

History- SOTW

Geography- thinking about Mapping the Word by Ellen McHenry

Hopefully, making self-directed projects a bigger part of our learning day.  

Hopefully poetry tea.  :-)

• Like 2

I have barely wrapped my head around my current 4th grader, never mind the thought of my baby being a 4th grader next fall.  But here goes:

Spring 2016

finish MM 3B, Miquon yellow, maybe start BA 3A

finish AAS 4

continue working through TC and BW Jot it Down projects

maybe start on MCT Island?

continue with BFSU Vol 2

Human Body Detectives

try to locate and start SOTW3

lots of other stuff we fit in (Drawing Lab for Kids, Ethics for Young Children, 365 Manners Every Kid Should Know, logic workbooks)

Summer 2016

finish Miquon purple, continue BA

complete AAS 5

continue working through TC

MCT Island

SOTW 3

lots of nature journalling

reading bingo 

maybe a camp this year - will have to see about finances/desire/fit

we work about 2 x week in the summer, sometimes 3 - this is the year their best friends are away all summer (happens every second year) so we usually get more done those years!

Fall 2016

MM 4, BA 3

TC, MCT Island

BW Partnership Writing

BFSU Vol 2 continued, other science units as chosen by kids

SOTW 3 and hopefully moving onto SOTW 4

The Geography Book

???  lots of other stuff I'm sure

Edited by Raifta

Spring/Summer:

History: finish SotW4

Art: major flop this year; we'll probably just do ATC with friends and maybe a homeschool painting class or two

Shakespeare: wrap up the memory work from How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare

Language Arts: wrap up AAS3 and start AA4

Math: prodigy and working on Beast Academy as it gets published (sigh), Jousting Armadillos, Calculus by and for Young People, alcumus, see what other math things I can find to keep us busy as we wait

Science: Finish Ellen McHenry's Carbon Chemistry

Music: Piano and Classics for Kids

Spanish: keep slogging away on Rosetta Stone Level 2

Geography: Finishing Drawing Around the World USA

Fall 2016:

History: SotW Ancients; this is her second time around

Art: Thinking about Harmony Fine Arts 5th grade to line up with SotW

Shakespeare: not sure; will pick a play when I see which play we'll see

Language ARts: continue AAS (finish 4, at least start 5 - let's see how far we make it), FLL4, WWE4

Math: Beast Academy, plus other stuff while we wait from more to be published (Jousting Armadillos, Calculus by and for Young People, not sure what else....), maybe starting AoPS pre-algebra if Beast Academy comes out on schedule

Science: I have no freaking clue. We've really liked Ellen McHenry's The Elements/Carbon Chemistry and have thought about doing more of her stuff, but I wanted to do physics with her this year, though there's this other part of me who fantasizes about having my two grammar stage kids combined for science.... and my first grader will be doing Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding: part of me thinks we could try to get through vol. 1 for her fourth grade year and his first grade year and then do vol. 2 for his second grade year and her fifth grade year, but really, I'm not sure.

Music: piano  and Classics for Kids

Spanish: Rosetta Stone; maybe online tutoring if I can find the money

Geography: Drawing Around the World Europe

Edited by MrsWeasley

I'm in the camp of "I can't possibly have a 4th grader!"

Right now my rough plans are...

ELTL 4

Beast Academy 4

Fix It Grammar (the 2nd book)

Spelling by Sound and Structure OR AAS 

Latin of some kind, starting it for the first time.

Pentime 5 cursive

Possibly Wayfarers Medieval History, possibly along with some kind of history writing program (IEW Medieval Writing or Write Through History)

Possibly Wayfarers Science AND/OR Home Science Adventures by Stratton House

Lots of reading of his choice to go along with the reading assigned in ELTL

He'll also continue his sports of basketball and swimming.  Maybe participate in the local theater again when it is too cold to swim.

My plans change rapidly so we'll see what I truly end up with come July when we start a new year.

Complete Spring/Summer 2016  

Mathematical Reasoning Level G

Language Smarts Level D

Spelling You See E

Around the World unit study

I've come up with what I want to cover and my daughter will get to choose from a selection of resources how she would like to cover it.

LA: Total Language Plus,  CLE or CAP Fable

Spelling you see F

Ancient History: History Odyssey level 2, Story of the world or Unit Study of each major civilization.

Math; Relaxed Math, Hands on Equations, Barron's Painless Pre-Algebra, before moving to AOPS 

Science: Interest led, Quark Chronicles, or Science Chef

Electives of her choice she has shown interest in Latin, Sewing, Logic, Guitar

My baby will be 4th grade next year, too!

3rd grade - Spring
Finish: Sonlight D (Core & Science) with homemade 50 States study, The Nose Tree (IEW FixIt! Grammar), and Abeka 3 math. The main thing that I want to work on this semester is to really work on her multiplication and division facts. She is starting to get frustrated in math on the problems where she isn't solid on the facts. (7s, 8s, 9s) Continue with some IEW writing and freewriting. We will also do a state report towards the end of the semester.

4th grade - Fall
We are planning:

Sonlight E w/ homemade Presidents study

Sonlight Science E or F

IEW FixIt! Grammar and continue learning parts of speech through diagramming

IEW Writing

Abeka 4 math

That's the plan for today!

Complete Spring/Summer 2016  

Mathematical Reasoning Level G

Language Smarts Level D

Spelling You See E

Around the World unit study

I've come up with what I want to cover and my daughter will get to choose from a selection of resources how she would like to cover it.

LA: Total Language Plus,  CLE or CAP Fable

Spelling you see F

Ancient History: History Odyssey level 2, Story of the world or Unit Study of each major civilization.

Math; Relaxed Math, Hands on Equations, Barron's Painless Pre-Algebra, before moving to AOPS 

Science: Interest led, Quark Chronicles, or Science Chef

Electives of her choice she has shown interest in Latin, Sewing, Logic, Guitar

Tell me more about Science Chef! is it just the book I see on Amazon? My husband is a retired chef and would LOVE doing this with the kids

• Like 1

My third grader is in ps this year, but we will be returning to homeschool next year. My plans are as follows:

LA: LLFT4, SYS Wild Tales, Writing Strands (not set on this yet), Pictures in Cursive (not set on this), and possibly some ETC.

Math: She will be working through Study Time Math 3 through spring and summer, hopefully finishing by fall. I'm not sure where we will go from there.

Geography: Trail Guide to World Geography, and Beautiful Feet Books Geography.

Science: not sure yet

Bible: Our 24 Family Ways

Electives: she will likely participate in choir and possibly drama classes, not sure what else yet

We always seem to be behind, so we'll be continuing with a full schedule over the summer, dropping subjects as they are completed. 

Spring/Summer

MUS Beta/Gamma

ELTL 2

SCM Middle Ages, Renaissance & Reformation and SOTW 2 (in place of the scheduled Famous Men books)

SCM's Visits to Europe

Christian Kids Explore Earth & Space

Signs and Seasons

Harmony Fine Arts Grade 6 (this level corresponds with our history)

Extras: piano & swimming lessons, AO Folksongs, Bible stories & memory work & hymn study, Laying Down the Rails for Children, Poetry for Young People: Shakespeare, Paper Sloyd for Primary Grades, Prima Latina

Fall

MUS Gamma/Delta

ELTL 3

Write On!

Spelling Wisdom 1 (in place of ELTL's dictation passages)

SCM Early Modern

SCM Visits to North America

Christian Kids Explore Physics and Physics Workshop (from Thames & Kosmos)

Harmony Fine Arts Grade 7--

Extras: Paint Lab for Kids, AO Folksongs, LDTR for Children, piano & swimming lessons, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poet study, typing, Visual Latin, Bible memory/stories/hymns, Handbook of Nature Study lessons

I'm probably forgetting something.  

We always seem to be behind, so we'll be continuing with a full schedule over the summer, dropping subjects as they are completed.

Spring/Summer

MUS Beta/Gamma

ELTL 2

SCM Middle Ages, Renaissance & Reformation and SOTW 2 (in place of the scheduled Famous Men books)

SCM's Visits to Europe

Christian Kids Explore Earth & Space

Signs and Seasons

Harmony Fine Arts Grade 6 (this level corresponds with our history)

Extras: piano & swimming lessons, AO Folksongs, Bible stories & memory work & hymn study, Laying Down the Rails for Children, Poetry for Young People: Shakespeare, Paper Sloyd for Primary Grades, Prima Latina

Fall

MUS Gamma/Delta

ELTL 3

Write On!

Spelling Wisdom 1 (in place of ELTL's dictation passages)

SCM Early Modern

SCM Visits to North America

Christian Kids Explore Physics and Physics Workshop (from Thames & Kosmos)

Harmony Fine Arts Grade 7--

Extras: Paint Lab for Kids, AO Folksongs, LDTR for Children, piano & swimming lessons, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poet study, typing, Visual Latin, Bible memory/stories/hymns, Handbook of Nature Study lessons

I'm probably forgetting something.

I'm planning on ELTL but assumed level 4 was 4th grade. Should we be starting lower?

My 3rd grader will finish over the next few months:

CLE 300 Math

CLE 301-305 Reading (we just started this a couple of weeks ago, so he'll only do half of this level as a 3rd grader)

R&S Spelling 3

Cursive workbook

ABeka History (already finished science)

Piano (hopefully he'll finish the book he's in so he can move to the next one)

Summer: we will hopefully only take a few weeks off before starting our new school year, so we won't do any schoolwork during this break.

Next school year as a 4th grader:

CLE 400 Math

CLE 400 LA

CLE 306-310 and 401-405 Reading

ABeka Science

Geography (combined with the other dc)

Piano

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

My 4th:

Math: Singapore and Beast

Spelling/Grammar: PR

WWE

History: TOG y3

logic books

Science: Elemental Physics with added reading w/Tops Science labs

Latin: Getting started with latin and Minimus

Spanish: Getting started with Spanish

Music: Cello and composer study

Art: Artistic Pursuits and Picture study

PE: Dance

Scouts

Math- Horizons 4

Spelling- Rod and Staff

Writing and Grammar- Treasured Conversations

Science, Geo, History, Culture, Lit- etc- Mom-made study- lots of books- some notebooking- crafts- documentaries etc

Nature Study- Weekly (copious amounts of outside time)

Fine Arts- trying to decide now- right now it is whatever we feel like doing

Extra- curricular- Sewing class, AHG, 4H, Dance and Acrobatics

Edited by soror

Schools in UK finish 3rd week of July for summer but we are planning to be done by end of June.

By then we will hopefully be finished:

-AAS3

-SOTW 1 with added projects on Greece, the Romans and Roman Britain

-All our Biology courses

-Nallenart 3 for French

-Galore Park Latin prep 1A

-All the citizenship/health topics still left to cover for this year (we are on track for this!)

-Mapstart 2

If that goes to plan then our summer will look like this

-1st week of July, kids have 1 week Summer school for Violin- I will get the house straight, file this year's school work(in the attic) and start on planning next year

-2nd week will be family vacation week (before PS kicks out so cheaper and quieter)

-3rd week we have a French family from our Twin Town in France coming to stay!!!!

-End of July/August- kids go away on Cub Scout camp and I recover! and finish planning school for next year.

All august I work Mon-Fri, 12-6pm each day at a Daycare centre. My kids will come with me to that and join in all the activities- sports/art/crafts/baking plus day trips out to local woods/parks/beach/zoo.

If all goes to plan (last year we moved house and it didn't) we will still do school 'lite' each morning before I go to work.

so we will carry on with:

-Maths, MEP Year 3 for F and 4 for D, just carry on from where they are and continue on in September

-ELTL 2

-I'm still considering adding in EIW 3 after Easter so if I do work on that to get it done by September. If not

-AAS4

-F has been doing both Harmony Fine Arts and Artisitic Pursuits (for fun) so she will carry on those so she finishes all projects by September (so we can start the next books in line with SOTW)

-If D is still interested he can carry on with GP Latin book 1b

Extras

-No music tuition over summer (closes down after Summer School) so I'll assign some fun practise pieces- we have Disney for Violin

-Swim coaching continues but I may book them on an intensive course if any are running for their levels (should be ASA 5 by then and intensives are usually only 1-3)

-Take part in the County Library Summer Reading Challenge

-Continue working on gaining more Cub Scout badges

Phew! That sounds a lot! First week of September PS's go back here but we always take that week off, go on some field trips or a vacation (if we didn't in July) just because we can.

Second week we will start school but it will mostly be carrying on from where we left off or start the next book/level.

New stuff we be:

-Geography, I want to do a fully survey of the British Isles, but need to work out exactly how still (can't buy curriculum for this here)

-SOTW2 will be combined with Our Island Story somehow

-I have no idea what to do for Science

-Hopefully doing an in depth study/comparison of major world religions

Also though I will count F as going into 4th grade from September, but under the English system she would be starting Year 6 according to birthdate. Year 6 is the year of the dreaded KS2 SATS testing. In PS they will spend most the year cramming for these tests, kids and teachers getting more stressed as the year goes on. They are luckily non-mandatory for homeschoolers so luckily F won't have to do them, but as she knows her friends are, may ask to anyway. I think it will be a bad idea as she likely won't pass and feel a failure, whereas if she did them the following year, I think she would do much better. We will also have to visit and apply to secondary schools if she decides she wants to start in Year 7 in 2017. How did my baby grow so big!

I'm planning on ELTL but assumed level 4 was 4th grade. Should we be starting lower?

She mentions you can start at grade level or one lower.  I believe some classical homeschoolers start at grade level, but Charlotte Mason homeschoolers prefer to start a grade lower.  My youngest DD will be starting Level 1 for 1st grade, but she has a fall birthday and we may take it slower if needed.  

The material is covered again in the following years, so I really don't think the actual level is a big deal.  I believe Level 3 focuses on narration and Level 4 spends more time on grammar.  However, both have grammar and narration included.  

• Like 1

DS came home in November, so we are not likely to finish this year's curriculum, so we'll continue what we are doing now.

Math: Beast Academy. If he continues at the same speed, we should be done by Christmas, then AOPS Prealgebra

English: A mix of Writing from Rethoric and Image Grammar.

History: We probably won't finish the Ancients by September, so we'll continue. We use a mix of very different levels, from SOTW to Spielvogel, with a variety of library books in the mix.

Science: I feel bad about it, but mostly it is a mix of library books and documentaries, which we discuss while driving around.

French: Amis et compagnie 1 with a tutor and daily Duolingo

Russian Saturday school (Russian language, reading, history, plus some math, theater, and art)

PE: fencing

• Like 1

I am always reading aloud literature, just haven't selected summer or fall reads yet. I'll choose from BYL and SCM lists probably like normal.

DS is moving to mostly independent work in the next year... we aren't sure if we want to start a foreign language in the fall or wait a year.

Spring 2016

Singapore 3B finished, begin 4A

Reading List (mostly BYL, some SCM)

Unit Studies for Science

Daily Devotionals with Mom, Learning Books of the Bible

Copywork - Genesis..... Queen's Copywork for Boys

SOTW Vol. 1

Read Aloud Literature (from BYL and SCM lists)

Cub Scouts

Awana Club

Summer 2016 (we're done with normal school May 13th)

Singapore 4A (1-2 lessons per week)

Bible Study - Discover 4 Yourself (He'll be doing Revelations 1-7)

SOTW Vol. 2 independently with narration (he wants to keep doing this - whatever pace he wants - but I assume he'll be almost daily, he loves history)

Reading List: 
  The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

The Phantom Tollbooth

Tom Sawyer

Twenty One Balloons

Week of overnight Bible Camp

Nature Studies and Hiking

Cub Scouts

Fall 2016

All About Spelling 1 and 2

Finish up Singapore 4B, start 5A

Finish up SOTW Vol. 2 and move into SOTW Vol. 3

Language Lessons for the Elementary Child Vol. 1 (Queen)

Bible Study - Discover 4 Yourself (He will be onto a new book, he can choose which)

Possibly McHenry Science

Reading List (mostly BYL, some SCM)
Homeschool Chorus Group

Cub Scouts

Awana Club

Edited by againstthegrain

I can't believe I'm posting in a 4th grade thread!  I remember when he was my BABY!  lol

This spring- wrapping up SM4b (after a very slow move through 4a, we are zooming through b), reading, a French correspondence course, duolingo German, and... that's about it.  

This summer:  Continuing core subjects probably 3x a week (making lots of room for activities and friends), lots of reading time

This fall:

SM 5

Lit Studies: Hopefully using Teaching The Classics materials for the first time!  I'm excited about this!  

Writing:  A more focused look at non-fiction writing, perhaps looking at the multi-paragraph structure... but not decided yet.  

Spelling- continuing Apples and Pears

Science- Ellen McHenry stuff probably

History- SOTW

Geography- thinking about Mapping the Word by Ellen McHenry

Hopefully, making self-directed projects a bigger part of our learning day.  

Hopefully poetry tea.  :-)

Have you used the McHenry Science? I have Elements, the Brain and Carbon Chem in science storage and was thinking about getting them out. Do you have thoughts on them??

I'm interested to hear how you will wrap up 3rd grade

Well, since it's only January, I plan to first wrap up quarter 2 (next week, in February), and then quarter 3, and then when I'm in quarter 4 I'll worry about wrapping up 3rd grade, lol! (summer break around here starts late June, I'm guessing it starts sooner wherever you are?)