Menu

ASL - What is the learning curve?

Liz CA

Basic vocabulary can be relatively easy to pick up if you continue to use what you are learning. The grammar of ASL can take awhile to become comfortable with in my experience.

ETA: A great way to learn is to use ASL with native signers. If there is someone you are comfortable working with it can be a great help. I was fortunate to have several very patient Deaf individuals who helped me when I was first learning.

Edited by Beaniemom
  • Like 2

As far as I can tell, there's no good way to predict that.  It depends a lot on you.

How's your ability to pick up languages in general?

How's your spatial ability?

How's your manual dexterity?

For instance, my mother when I tried to show her signs, would see the movements *between* the signs and try to copy them as the signs.  I can't understand how, because I never had that challenge.

Practicing daily will definitely help.

But also, what do you mean by basic skill acquisition?  Do you mean a lexicon of nouns and verbs that you can use for clarifying gestured or poor verbal communication?  Or are we talking actual ASL, grammar and everything?

As far as I can tell, there's no good way to predict that.  It depends a lot on you.

How's your ability to pick up languages in general?

How's your spatial ability?

How's your manual dexterity?

For instance, my mother when I tried to show her signs, would see the movements *between* the signs and try to copy them as the signs.  I can't understand how, because I never had that challenge.

Practicing daily will definitely help.

But also, what do you mean by basic skill acquisition?  Do you mean a lexicon of nouns and verbs that you can use for clarifying gestured or poor verbal communication?  Or are we talking actual ASL, grammar and everything?

I am bilingual and acquiring language skills has always been easy for me BUT I see ASL as somewhat different. Also, I won't have as much time to devote to it as when I was learning another language.

By basic, I mean be able to communicate - however not necessarily grammatically correct - basic requests or questions, i.e "How are you feeling today?" "Any side effects from your medications?" "How would you rate your anxiety level on a scale...?"

Writing this out now, it seems a little more than basic. :) I am not too concerned being grammatically correct but I would like to get good enough to make myself understood.

Go to lifeprint.com 

Dd wanted to learn when she was about 7 or 8, and a girl at church who was an interpreter suggested it. She was able to pick up the basics fairly easily, and I followed along with her as well. As someone else said, the only catch is learning proper "ASL grammar". That website gives you lessons, then walks you through "conversations" and shows you how to speak with ASL versus the way we talk verbally. 

As you're thinking about it, take a little time to learn the alphabet and practice finger spelling.  I don't know how long it took me to realize how important the alphabet is in ASL.  So many of the signs use the different letters in how they are made, that it makes everything much easier if the alphabet is automatic (and, of course, finger spelling is a useful tool when you are not fluent).

• Like 1

By basic, I mean be able to communicate - however not necessarily grammatically correct - basic requests or questions, i.e "How are you feeling today?"  "Any side effects from your medications?" "How would you rate your anxiety level on a scale...?"

Writing this out now, it seems a little more than basic. :) I am not too concerned being grammatically correct but I would like to get good enough to make myself understood.

Making yourself understood wouldn't be so hard. Understanding a signed reply would be though, because a lot of medical talk will rely on classifiers instead of vocab. 

Your workplace doesn't provide interpreters?

• Like 4

Making yourself understood wouldn't be so hard. Understanding a signed reply would be though, because a lot of medical talk will rely on classifiers instead of vocab. 

Your workplace doesn't provide interpreters?

The "understanding a signed reply" is the kicker, I agree. That is where I have the hardest time as well. I live in an area with many Deaf, and the state deaf school, so have opportunities to try to communicate. As well as I do other languages, I think I'd do better in a class for this one because of the receptive language issue.

• Like 2

Go to lifeprint.com 

Dd wanted to learn when she was about 7 or 8, and a girl at church who was an interpreter suggested it. She was able to pick up the basics fairly easily, and I followed along with her as well. As someone else said, the only catch is learning proper "ASL grammar". That website gives you lessons, then walks you through "conversations" and shows you how to speak with ASL versus the way we talk verbally. 

Dr Bill is the best. I've spent (literally) hours watching his Youtube vids. 

Edited by LibraryLover
  • Like 1

I can't speak to fluid, effective communication, but I find I've retained as much sign language (learned in elementary school 30 years ago, give or take) as I have German and French (learned in high school, 20 years ago, give or take.)  Which isn't to say A LOT, but that I think my language abilities are pretty consistent, whatever the language.