Menu

YAY! It has begun for the 6th time...

Tonight dd5 and I began Dick and Jane!!

When ds15 was a toddler, my dmil bought us two volumes of Dick and Jane.  All of my kids have learned to read with them.  And tonight it began for the 6th time.

Dmil passed away several years ago, but I know that she would be thrilled!

• Like 13

My DS did not care for BOB books. As soon as I got Dick and Jane from the library, he became willing to read.

It's really sweet that your DMIL was able to start such a nice tradition for your kids, and continue to be part of their lives despite having passed!

• Like 4

I first discovered Elson Readers as a result of having an old one from my Great Uncle's school days.  I used his with my 2nd dc and then to keep it better preserved ordered a newer paper back for the rest of the kids.  My youngest just finished Elson Reader book 1 before Christmas.  I'm not sure how much we'll use book 2.  Last night she read aloud to me from the Classic Starts Robin Hood.  <sniff, sniff>  Looks like my work here teaching to read is done.  Junie, how wonderful that you've taught reading in a consistent way with all your kids!  I always bounce back and forth between a couple different things. 

• Like 1

Are Dick and Jane phonics based? We are still Cvc/cvcc stage and adding beginning and ending blends. I'm hoping to find more stories dd can read. We have bob books, progressive phonics, and Nora Gaydon books, but I have heard great things about dick and Jane

No, they're not phonics based.  I found this article which you might find helpful.

So far, 4 of my 5 readers have learned to read with virtually no phonics instruction.  

One of my children is not a good reader.  I did a few Hooked on Phonics lessons with her, and that seemed to help some.  So far, she is my only child who does not love to read.

Dd5 is doing well with Dick and Jane.  She has some speech issues (evaluation this week!), so phonics for her would be a disaster.  

No, Dick and Jane are sight word based.

Have you looked at the Modern Curriculum Press phonics books?  https://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=Phonics/5&category=MCP+Phonics+Practice+Readers/859

I have briefly. I'll have to look more in-depth. DD is thriving with phonics and has exceeded my expectations. We still use our Bob Books Set 1 for fluency, but was looking for other ones as well to challenge her. I'm hesitant to buy more BOB books since she isn't in love with them and does love Progressive Phonics.

No, they're not phonics based.  I found this article which you might find helpful.

So far, 4 of my 5 readers have learned to read with virtually no phonics instruction.  

One of my children is not a good reader.  I did a few Hooked on Phonics lessons with her, and that seemed to help some.  So far, she is my only child who does not love to read.

Dd5 is doing well with Dick and Jane.  She has some speech issues (evaluation this week!), so phonics for her would be a disaster.  

That article was very interesting. I agree that phonics isn't for everyone or the only way to learn to read. DD has done incredibly well with it and seems to intuitively get the rules. But my son could be completely different! I've found a lot of the phonics "primers" to be a bit above where we are now though which has been discouraging. We buddy read them though. 

• Like 1

I felt the nostalgia today as my fifth kid was playing the Zoo Game (basically a game to practice reading double digit numbers from Abeka Arithmetic 1) with all his siblings. They all either remember being the train driver themselves or getting on & off at stops with one of their siblings driving. We did the left hand/right hand poem last week with ds#2 to lots of laughing from all the kids who still remember it from the same book (again, Arithmetic 1). 

Ah, the memories!  :001_wub:  

[Teaching a kid to read is one of my two least favorite activities as Mom, right behind potty training. I'm not upset to be on my last one for that!!!!! :ack2: ]

• Like 2

I think Dick and Jane became Janet and John in NZ.  There were some round in my classroom in the seventies but we were taught to read with the NZised replacements.

I think most kids will learn to read with either whole language, look say or phonics.  The ones that don't should be given instruction using whatever method does work for them and to hell with the current politics.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 1