Menu

The new Weight Watchers

Night Elf

I hate it! It looks like it's called Smart Points now and their website is not user friendly. After trying several times, I canceled my membership. I was on maintenance, not losing anymore and the program wasn't costing anything since I was a lifetime member, but I'm super frustrated now. Does anyone have experience with it now that it's changed? I couldn't figure out how to find the calculator on their site so I could calculate my foods. Instead, I found someone who created a free calculator that does both the Points Plus which is what I'm on, and even the program before that. I guess I'll use it until he takes it down. I've been doing WW for 4 years and it's just become a habit and doesn't bother me at all. I'm so disappointed that I had to cancel my membership.

I just started WW with the nursing baby option...  Yeah, it's weirder than the old version (I haven't used WW in 8 years).  To calculate your points using the food's label, go to "Quick Add" and then there 2 tabs below the bar where you do a search.  One tab says "Quick Add" and one says "Calculator".  Click on Calculator and you can do the formula where you type in calories, fats, fiber, etc and it gives you your points.

It seems less practical than the older version.  More about holistic lifestyle or something...   :glare:   I liked how the old version had stuff to check off like how much water you're drinking, etc.  Also, this version doesn't want to convert exercise points to food points unless you change the settings.  Oh well.

Okay, I found the calculator. They ask for so much more on the nutrition label now. They're asking for calories, saturated fat, and sugars. That's new. Also, when I went on the site, they asked me questions to set up how many Smart Points I was to get and I wasn't paying attention because I didn't know what it was doing. It assigned me 36 points. Oh well. My account is good until Feb. 20th but I doubt I'll use it. I just plain don't like it and I told them that in the feedback. They asked again when I canceled the program so I told them there too. :tongue_smilie: My mom said it was bought by Oprah Winfrey. I guess she was the one who wanted to change it.

I haven't used it consistently yet. I'm going to start back after Christmas. I stopped using it when I had to update and then the app didn't work for weeks on my phone. I just got on again and saw the new plan. Haven't had enough time to explore but come Dec 26 I'm doing it whether I like it or not. I've gained too much and WW (at least in the past) worked great for me.

I went on a break before the new version came out, and I'm glad I did. It sounds like the calculations are so much more complicated, and you pretty much need the mobile app to figure out the Points. But they had so many problems with the old app, even though it had been in use for years. At least when that went down you could still guesstimate pretty well. I can't imagine why they thought it would be okay to launch the new program at this point. 

Yes, I looked into it because my weight crept up this fall, and I don't like it. Way too complicated, but my favorite version of WW was in the 1990's when it was more of an exchange system version the points.

I'm considering TOPS online. I liked the local meeting part of WW though. No TOPS meetings locally.

Yes, I looked into it because my weight crept up this fall, and I don't like it. Way too complicated, but my favorite version of WW was in the 1990's when it was more of an exchange system version the points.

I'm considering TOPS online. I liked the local meeting part of WW though. No TOPS meetings locally.

That was the hardest part for me. I loved the meetings, and made real friends there. I know ways to lose weight that don't involve counting Points, and I liked to hear general tips and have the accountability of a weekly weigh-in with a real person. I didn't care much about the online tracking and the website in general has always been bad. I wish there were a monthly plan to go to meetings only, like the Monthly Pass but cheaper since you wouldn't need the online component.

I've looked into TOPS and there is a local meeting, but I'm not ready to commit to that yet. The timing of it sucks, and well, it wouldn't be the same without the people at my meeting. 

I'm currently an active WW member, go to meetings each week, etc...  I started in October and have, so far, lost 17 pounds.  I loved the PointsPlus.  The new SmartPoints and the new website are very disappointing to me.  When they unveiled the new system they said their scientists had discovered that saturated fat and sugar are what need to be avoided more than anything.  So they re-calculated based on that.  Instead of Fat, Carbs, Fiber and Protein, I have to input Calories, Saturated Fat, Carbs and Protein.  The result is that some of my tried and true foods went up significantly in points, while almost all lean proteins went down in points.  My oatmeal doubled in points.  Also, now chocolate and my fiber bars are off limits (very sad about that).  But, a can of tun in water is now only 1 point.  And turkey went down significantly.

Another change is that we no longer get 49 floater points.  The floater points now are different for every person.  Also, normal points are different.  Mine went down but most life-time members and maintenance people saw their points increase (I guess to off-set the jump in points for some of their favorites).

My opinion?  Why fix something that wasn't broken???  If I lose 100 pounds eating chocolate once in a while, I'm going to be healthier, end of story. 

• Like 7

I've been doing WW & going to meetings now for 4 months & haven't lost much weight. I'm going to try this new plan with the hope that it will get me to a healthier version of me, including weight loss, increased energy, better cholesterol values, and to prevent diabetes.

The new Smart Points plan reminds me of the diabetic diet I was on for gestational diabetes while pregnant with my first. Sugars, including grains, milk, juice, etc, were very limited and lean protein & veggies was strongly encouraged. I tested my blood sugar 4 times a day & could instantly see the effects of what I ate and it was eye-opening.

I found this article that explains some of the changes:

http://time.com/4139180/weight-watchers-new-program/

For the record, Oprah does not "own" Weight Watchers now. She bought 10% of the company and secured a seat on the board. She did this after trying the new plan (before release) for months and was blown away by the results.

This way of eating may not be for everyone. I'm not completely on board with the new plan but I'm willing to try it. I, too, have been very frustrated with the technical issues and such, but I have to do something about my health. Only time will tell.

Also, when I went on the site, they asked me questions to set up how many Smart Points I was to get and I wasn't paying attention because I didn't know what it was doing. It assigned me 36 points. 

Yeah, it gave me an enormous number of points for nursing.   :001_unsure:  I was worried right away when I saw that.  I've only been using this version for a couple of weeks, so I'm not sure if it's going to work.

The old WW - I lost something like 30 pounds the first time and 20 the second time (I tend to register for ww every time I have a baby - Lol).

I think they change it every year or two to try to lure back people who didn't do well on it before. And it drums up excitement. 

I agree, but I really believe a lot of the changes are motivated by the latest scientific research. Or at least, they like to proclaim that because it appeals to some people (like me!). But honestly, when they announced the changes this time, I felt 1% sad not to be a part of it and 99% relieved I had quit. And I usually do get excited for changes. 

• Like 1

That was the hardest part for me. I loved the meetings, and made real friends there. I know ways to lose weight that don't involve counting Points, and I liked to hear general tips and have the accountability of a weekly weigh-in with a real person. I didn't care much about the online tracking and the website in general has always been bad. I wish there were a monthly plan to go to meetings only, like the Monthly Pass but cheaper since you wouldn't need the online component.

I've looked into TOPS and there is a local meeting, but I'm not ready to commit to that yet. The timing of it sucks, and well, it wouldn't be the same without the people at my meeting. 

Yes, like anything else, the leader makes all the difference.

When I did it in the 1990's prior to marriage, I went to a WW Center with many time slots. IMHO that was ideal for me because I could go at lunch or after work or even early Saturdays. I particularly loved a male leader who was a professional opera singer who made up funny songs to go with his program. That was when you received a little booklet with the exchanges each week where you checked off things. There was even a place you used as a journal and a place for questions you could bring to the meeting.

When mine were younger, they went with me during the day, and I loved that group too. The leader was a grandmotherly type who was both firm and kind. I had to switch to evenings when I started working more, and I didn't like the evening leader at all. She was snarky and her language was offensive at times. So I switched to Saturday morning, and she was great. When I once ran into her in Wal-Mart when I was buying Oreos, she just smiled and said, "I'll never tell." Unfortunately she changed her schedule to focus more on their workplace meetings, and I quit because the only option was the snarky lady. I don't know who does it now, but I'm not interested in going back anyway. The schedule doesn't work at all for me, and I don't like the points system.

I tried MyFitnessPal, and online tracking doesn't work for me.

So probably online TOPS for me with their exchange cards. That was what I really liked about the older WW system.

• Like 1

Well, I feel bad about feeling bad about WW now. I started in 2011 and have been on maintenance since 2012. I lost 50 lbs. so I believed in the program. I'm a little concerned about what I'm reading now about the Smart Points. I would have never gotten through my weight loss without my snacks. I would feel deprived. I liked having anything I wanted as long as I watched my portions. I looked at one of the message boards on the WW Community and some people are complaining they aren't allowed their snacks anymore. I can't see how it matters.

And if the points are based on age, gender, height, and weight, how does it know those things about me? I don't think I put it in when I did their new assessment. Did I give that information when I joined 4 years ago? Obviously my age and weight have changed since then. Someone asked on the Community board if she could retake the assessment because she didn't think her points was right, and more than one person said the number of points wasn't based on the assessment. I wish I had paid more attention to all the screens it was flashing through. I just kept hitting next. Dumb I know, but there it is.

DHate hate the new plan. Plus their site has been a disaster since before they rolled out the new plan. There are literally thousands of complaints on their Facebook page.

I have the points plus calculator, books and cookbooks and that's what I'm sticking with.

Edited by gingersmom

• 1 month later...

I've been using the iTrack Bytes app, which is based on WW. You can choose btw WW Classic, Points Plus, and they're developing an option based on Smart Points, as well. I never liked the WW meetings and would only use the online program anyway. This app is only a one-time purchase, super easy to use, and has an encouraging forum. I've been using it for only two weeks and have lost 4.5 lbs.

Edited by Bethany Grace
  • Like 2

I thought about Weight Watchers. But, I've lost 15 lbs. just using My Fitness Pal on my kindle which is free or 99c can't remember which. Since it is working for me, I will continue with that and not take on such a complicated system.

I'd like to lose 30 more lbs. I hope I can. My doctor is at least supportive and very happy about the 15 lbs so at least I have a cheerleader for once. Previous physicians were snarky, and unhelpful.

• Like 1

I thought about Weight Watchers. But, I've lost 15 lbs. just using My Fitness Pal on my kindle which is free or 99c can't remember which. Since it is working for me, I will continue with that and not take on such a complicated system.

I'd like to lose 30 more lbs. I hope I can. My doctor is at least supportive and very happy about the 15 lbs so at least I have a cheerleader for once. Previous physicians were snarky, and unhelpful.

Myfitnesspal was a life-changer for me, FWIW. I don't track there anymore but it was really, really helpful for getting started. 

Congrats :)