Menu

I need a good recipe for frosting

Liz CA

Use salted butter. It makes such a difference in the taste! This one makes a beautiful, fluffy buttercream. I skip the almond extract because it overpowers everything, and I use salted butter so skip adding salt. http://iambaker.net/whipped-vanilla-buttercream/If you want a non-whipped version, just beat until well combined. It's still delicious.

• Like 2

I love basic buttercream.  I use the Wilton recipe and add almond extract, 1/2 to 1 tsp per batch depending on desired taste.  You can also make it into an old fashioned buttery buttercream by using butter flavored Crisco, and while my grandparents used to love it, it's not to my taste.

We get bombarded with birthdays in December.  Today I made German Chocolate cake with Chocolate Fudge icing on the sides, and German Chocolate (pecan) icing for the top and between the layers.  It was well worth the time involved.  The Chocolate Fudge was a new addition because we tend to like the pecan icing softer, so it doesn't stay well on the sides.  I'm not sure that the recipe is any secret, but I can share if anyone needs one.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

I have the best, easiest recipe for chocolate frosting. But it's downstairs and I'm in bed. I made it earlier today, so from memory:

Mix 5c powdered sugar w/ 1c cocoa powder in a plastic bag.
Cream 1 & 1/2 sticks butter until smooth.
Alternate adding sugar mixture & 6oz evaporated milk to the butter.
Add vanilla. 2 tsp.

Edited for corrections after checking the recipe.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 2

I think it totally depends upon what cake you are making!

I have a gorgeous recipe for a Waldorf-Astoria Red Velvet cake and frosting that is amazing, and has ruined me for store-bought red velvet/cream cheese forever:). Might be really cool for a December bday. PM me if you would like the recipe:)

Yes, please.  :)

I'm well known in my circles for my baking skills, and I think this chocolate cream cheese might be my favorite frosting I've ever made.

http://www.smells-like-home.com/2013/02/chocolate-cream-cheese-frosting/

I also recently got a ton of compliments on this vanilla latte frosting

http://www.annies-eats.com/2015/02/06/vanilla-caramel-latte-cake/

Cream cheese!

2 8-oz pkgs cream cheese

1/2 cup butter

2 tsp vanilla

~ 2 lbs powdered sugar

Milk

Cream the cream cheese and butter. Add in vanilla, sugar, and milk to desired consistency.

*this makes A LOT. I usually halve it for a standard cake-mix sized cake.

* for chocolate, add 1 to 1-1/2 cup cocoa and reduce powdered sugar proportionally.

Edited by Forget-me-not

I've used the Wilton recipe for years by I find it is bland and waxy, even with extra extract. I was thinking of a cream cheese frosting by I'm open to suggestions.

1 stick salted butter

1 block cream cheese, room temp

Vanilla

1.5 lbs + powdered sugar, to taste/stiffness

Basically the same as buttercream, but swap a stick of butter for a block of cream cheese.

• Like 1

I love cream cheese frosting.

I also love Pioneer Woman's flour frosting.  You don't need confectioner's sugar, which is nice.  It's not as sweet, but still wonderful IMHO.

If it's a chocolate frosting you want, the best recipe I ever used was in the Cake MIx Doctor cookbook and involved blooming the cocoa powder in boiling water and I want to say butter, too.

• Like 2

I love cream cheese frosting.

I also love Pioneer Woman's flour frosting. You don't need confectioner's sugar, which is nice. It's not as sweet, but still wonderful IMHO.

If it's a chocolate frosting you want, the best recipe I ever used was in the Cake MIx Doctor cookbook and involved blooming the cocoa powder in boiling water and I want to say butter, too.

The recipe on that link is missing it seems, but it sounds like the Astoria frosting recipe I use for red velvet. Flour and milk base with butter, sugar, and vanilla? Gorgeous:)

• Like 1

For basic buttercream, my sister directed me to the recipe on the back of the C&H powdered sugar box. It's good, basic, and easy, and if you make a full recipe you just used the whole box of powdered sugar--no measuring.

We like cream cheese frosting for certain cakes, and if we want chocolate frosting we go with a recipe with sour cream--both of these frosting recipes I get from my old Better Homes and Garden red plaid cookbook. It has a lot of good frosting recipes.

The recipe on that link is missing it seems, but it sounds like the Astoria frosting recipe I use for red velvet. Flour and milk base with butter, sugar, and vanilla? Gorgeous:)

Yes, that's it.  (Oops didn't check to make sure link had actual recipe.)

It is surprisingly good.  Here's a link that works: http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/thate28099s-the-best-frosting-ie28099ve-ever-had/

• Like 1

I have THE BEST buttercream frosting recipe.  Now, it's about the ingredients, yes, but also the "technique".   This is a rich, dense frosting.  I found this recipe earlier this year when I was searching and found this recipe for my daughter's sweet 16 birthday party!    I made the icing and the tutorial for making rosettes!  It turned out EXACTLY as what I watched and I was very pleased.  If you pm me with your email address and you're interested, then I"d be happy to send it to you! 

• Like 1

I've used the Wilton recipe for years by I find it is bland and waxy, even with extra extract. I was thinking of a cream cheese frosting by I'm open to suggestions.

I can understand that, especially as written.  It doesn't need nearly as much milk as they call for (I think I use 1-2 Tbsp for a double batch), and with the almond it has a much smoother taste. My sister and step-mother make the same recipe and you'd never know it.  I've played around with it a lot to get the taste I want, but December is not the time for that!

:bigear: for a cream cheese frosting.  

I'd forgotten about mock whipped cream, that's what the flour based recipes sound like.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

This frosting is time-consuming to make, but it is the best I've ever had.

Whipped Chocolate Frosting

Makes about 3 1/2 cups

Adapted from the March 1990 issue of Southern Living Magazine

1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream

1 1/2 cups sugar (regular, not confectioner's)

16 tablespoons butter (two sticks)

1 1/8 cups cocoa powder

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

pinch of salt if using unsalted butter

1.  In a medium saucepan, bring the cream and sugar to a boil over moderately high heat.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid reduces slightly, about 6 minutes.  Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and add the cocoa powder, butter, vanilla, and salt.  Let it stand, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are melted.

2.  Set the bowl in a larger bowl of ice water.  This works well in the kitchen sink.  Check your setup to make sure the frosting bowl doesn't tip into the ice water.  Let the frosting sit for a while until it thickens slightly.  Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the frosting, starting on slow speed, then increasing to medium-high speed.  Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally.  Beat until it's thick and glossy.  If it's too splashy, leave it in the ice water bowl to sit for a while longer.  The process of beating and sitting can take 30+ minutes, and depends on how warm it is in the room.  The frosting is done when its color becomes somewhat lighter and it is thick enough to spread.

3. Store the cake frosted with this frosting in the refrigerator.