Menu

Sinus infection = fever ?

Pegasus

Suffering from the first bad cold in a few years.  On about day 9 of symptoms and my head congestion and headaches are even worse today.  Even getting a bit of pain in some of the upper molars.

Trying to decide if its worth a trip to the clinic.  I'm not running a fever so I'm assuming this means I simply have swelling/congestion and not an infection.  If this is the case, the trip to the clinic would be a waste of time and money.

What says the hive?

Lie and tell them you have a fever off and on, if you truly feel you are getting a secondary infection. They never want to give me antibiotics without a fever, but I (and my kids) just almost never run fevers. I might get one late at night, that's it. (knock on wood.....)

In the past year we have had strep throat, flu, and pneumonia all verified and all without fever (different family members.). I don't know if it is just us, but fever is no longer a reliable indicator. I let ds's strep and dad's pneumonia go on too long because there was no fever. I'd go to the doctor.

• Like 1

Have you tried a saltwater rinse like this one to see if it helps?  http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=142205&catid=59915&aid=338666&aparam=142205&kpid=142205&CAWELAID=120142990000072055&CAGPSPN=pla

I try hard to stay on mucinex, saltwater rinse, sudafed, and treat with essential oils.  Docs tend to give me antibiotics no matter what.  My SIL says there is a test now to determine if it is a bacterial infection, but I have never had it done.  The other thing a doc could do that would help is to give you a steroid to try to clear it up.

(((Hugs))). Sorry you're feeling yucky.

I've had many, many sinus infections. Upper molar pain almost always = sinus infection. Also, if the mucous in your nose is greenish or yellowish and thick, that's a good indicator.

Hope you feel better soon!

^^^This.

For me, upper molar pain plus over 10 days of a bad cold always, always means sinus infection. I don't think I've ever had fever with one. I tend to just run into the nearest urgent care (I've used different ones), and have always gotten a steroid shot and a prescription for antibiotics. Sometimes they'll give an rx for nasal spray, and they usually recommend mucinex. If I were you, I'd go to the doctor. Getting that shot and antibiotics always helps me fairly quickly.

I hope you feel better soon!

A saline nasal spray and allergy barrier nasal spray would be my first step, but if it was continuous for 10 days I would now go in [in line with the UK's NHS recommendation of 7-10+ days] so I'd go in if I were you especially with pain in the upper molars. From personal experience and many doctor warnings - the longer it goes on, the more likely a a bacterial infection is taking hold and increases chances of damages to the sinuses [mine are already in bad shape now as I have quite chronic sinusitis that I've let linger too long too many times dismissing them as 'just allergies']. 

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone.  I stubbornly waited and am now feeling much better.  Not completely well yet but my body seems to be catching the upper hand.  I appreciate hearing everyone's experiences, especially since I've never had a sinus infection and wasn't sure if that was a real likelihood for my symptoms.