Menu

Christmas gift for nearly bedridden FIL?

Slache

Once upon a time my father in law liked to go on long hikes, read Russian novels, biographies, and comedies, build things, and go to weird stores that you've never heard of to buy knick knacks you could never imagine. Now that he's had cancer and reacted poorly to the chemo treatment, had a series of strokes, and now has horrible arthritis all he does is sit around all day. He is depressed and doesn't know what he wants for Christmas. Do you have any ideas? He can get up and walk around, but he doesn't like doing much. I was thinking of celestial binoculars but he says he wouldn't use them. We got him a Kindle paperwhite for his birthday which he was really excited about but he can't read for more than a few minutes without getting a headache.

Can he listen, or watch? Maybe an iPod with audiobooks loaded on? And a set of those headphones that are embedded in a soft head wrap (amazon), if he needs close-up listening?

BBC's Planet Earth DVDs are spectacular. Does he watch videos? Maybe a few history documentaries from an era of his youth?

• Like 2

Can he listen to audio books on his Kindle? Or with another device? My father enjoyed audio books when reading physical books got too difficult.

I have an ipod 5th generation I'd be willing to give up. Is that good? It's in perfect condition and has 32 gigs.

• Like 1

I don't know about your tech question, but I've seen some nice indoor herb garden setups (walmart maybe? Target? Some place I've been in the last week...).

Ok, now go retrace your steps and let me know. :lol: I'll probably get one from amazon because they live across the country and I don't want to pay for shipping.

Start another post for the audio book question. You should get a lot of response. You need something simple.

Another idea along the way is one of those cozy plush blankets that you have pictures printed on. You find the favorite pictures, make a collage and voila. Of course I can't remember the name of the company but I do remember there are lots of discounts on the site and coupons on line.

• Like 1

I was going to say audiobooks too. How about a subscription to Audible.com and maybe a nice pair of over the ear headphones? Does his Kindle allow audiobooks? (Depends on the model).

It doesn't, but I have an iPod I'm willing to forfeit. What does an audible subscription do? Do you get a free book every month or something?

I feel for you.   My dad has had a stroke and is dealing with some paralysis on one side.  He's enjoyed a ton of audio books, and we've loaned him all we have.  Last summer, he even enjoyed all 4 of the Story of the World CDs.  Also, he's watched all of our documentaries that my husband had.  We bought a set of dvds on the US National Parks--kids are going to watch and then send to Grandpa.  It can be difficult to marry the interests that someone has and the physical limitations, but we try to keep him busy and alert, and not let him sleep all day in his chair.  I love the idea of Audible and headphones, too.

• Like 1

I have an ipod 5th generation I'd be willing to give up. Is that good? It's in perfect condition and has 32 gigs.

I would go with that and buy him an audible subscription (I pay once a year for 12 credits but you could also just buy a few books for him), plus download an app for accessing Librovox books (play around as some are better than others, allow downloads v only streaming etc). The Librivox app will give him access to classic books, and he can find many wonderful books on Audible - fiction or non-fiction.

ETA: There are various audible subscriptions. Some dish out one credit a month, while others give you a number of credits in one lump. I prefer that. We've had a 12-credit annual subscription for many years. You download an app to play on the iPod but (I think) purchases need to be done on the website. They then show up on the app (which you register to your account) in the cloud and can be downloaded to your device with a click. But you can use a computer or any other device to listen to them. Each book in Audible is 1 credit. We tend to look for longer books for better value for credit. It's worth noting that some books have a member price of LESS than the cost of 1 credit, then we opt to pay by credit card for that book and save credits for more expensive books. If you get annual credits they do need to be used up in the year. I think half can be rolled over if you renew membership.

Audible falls under Amazon and there is a way of syncing Kindle and Audible books so you can switch between the two and pick up where you left off. At least I think that's how that works! We love Audible around here, and the Librivox books too.

Edited by nd293
  • Like 2

Once upon a time my father in law liked to go on long hikes, read Russian novels, biographies, and comedies, build things, and go to weird stores that you've never heard of to buy knick knacks you could never imagine. Now that he's had cancer and reacted poorly to the chemo treatment, had a series of strokes, and now has horrible arthritis all he does is sit around all day. He is depressed and doesn't know what he wants for Christmas. Do you have any ideas? He can get up and walk around, but he doesn't like doing much. I was thinking of celestial binoculars but he says he wouldn't use them. We got him a Kindle paperwhite for his birthday which he was really excited about but he can't read for more than a few minutes without getting a headache.

When was his birthday?  If it was recent you could try exchanging the Paperwhite for a plain Kindle?  I can't read on a Paperwhite without getting a headache either, but the no frills Kindle works great.

When was his birthday? If it was recent you could try exchanging the Paperwhite for a plain Kindle? I can't read on a Paperwhite without getting a headache either, but the no frills Kindle works great.

Good idea, but February. Anything gives him a headache, I thought the paperwhite would help.