Menu

Reason #4,759 why I would hate to be a celebrity

Moxie

So, Charlie Sheen has HIV. Sad, but not surprising and he is doing well on his medication. The really sad part is that he has paid out over $10 MILLION to people he trusted with his secret who then blackmailed him. How bad would it suck to have money interfere with every single relationship you have?!? To never be able to totally trust a friend, a nurse, a relative?!? That has to be so lonely.

• Like 7

The blackmail is unfortunate and I kind of wish he'd gone to the police about it, but I'm sure he just wanted to keep things hush hush. At the same time, having romantic partners who didn't know is NOT OKAY, condoms or not.

I can't stand this guy so no sympathy from me. Kharma came back and bit him in the butt.

His ex girlfriends have said he never told them and these were supposed to be serious relationships.

My guess is the only reason he came clean was because of the money. If no one was black mailing him he would have just continued not telling anyone he slept with. So I am glad he was blackmailed...helped keep him from infecting some unknowing person.

• Like 2

How very sad that he has to live with HIV. :(

I know nothing of this story... he was trying to keep it from partners? Half my sympathy evaporates in that case. Condoms are not 100%!

He wasn't even using condoms. He said the medication stopped it being passed on. I don't know if thats true these days with better medications available but I have a HIV+ friend contracted from a blood transfusion before screening became available and he was told to use them all the time.

The guy is just scuzz.

If there still wasn't such stigma attached to an HIV diagnosis he probably would not have gone to such lengths to keep it secret.

I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone.

I agree--I don't wish this disease on anyone. That said, anyone who has it and fails to disclose it to intimate partners (regardless of precautions being taken) is beyond contempt. Period. In my opinion.

• Like 3

He wasn't even using condoms. He said the medication stopped it being passed on. I don't know if thats true these days with better medications available but I have a HIV+ friend contracted from a blood transfusion before screening became available and he was told to use them all the time.

The guy is just scuzz.

This news finally reached the rock that I am living under - my newsfeed says that it is Charlie Sheen, he had unprotected sex with multiple partners while he knew that he was HIV positive, he thinks that he is super special because he has controlled his virus to low levels and is not capable of infecting his partners (apparently, his doctor disagreed on a TV show about this) and the partners at risk were mostly prostitutes and one of his ex-wives. 

This guy is scum - every woman has a right to protect herself from HIV, no matter who she is. And I am very skeptical that this guy can be blackmailed for millions - it is a possibility that he infected someone (or several) and is paying them off as a compensation or to avoid lawsuits.

PS: I am ashamed to say that when I saw the hints in the media earlier about a middle aged actor who was afraid that his diagnosis might make people forget about his accomplishments, I thought that it was a divorced megastar that I am not a fan of, instead of Sheen :(

• Like 1

This news finally reached the rock that I am living under - my newsfeed says that it is Charlie Sheen, he had unprotected sex with multiple partners while he knew that he was HIV positive, he thinks that he is super special because he has controlled his virus to low levels and is not capable of infecting his partners (apparently, his doctor disagreed on a TV show about this) and the partners at risk were mostly prostitutes and one of his ex-wives.

This guy is scum - every woman has a right to protect herself from HIV, no matter who she is. And I am very skeptical that this guy can be blackmailed for millions - it is a possibility that he infected someone (or several) and is paying them off as a compensation or to avoid lawsuits.

PS: I am ashamed to say that when I saw the hints in the media earlier about a middle aged actor who was afraid that his diagnosis might make people forget about his accomplishments, I thought that it was a divorced megastar that I am not a fan of, instead of Sheen :(

I'm struggling with being too sympathetic to his partners (except for the ex-wife, I do feel bad for her). I know very little about celebrities and even I knew about his sketchy sexual history. Unless he raped women, they could have insisted on protection or called it off. Or, crazy thought, don't swap bodily fluids with someone you don't know that much about.

Unless he raped women, they could have insisted on protection or called it off. Or, crazy thought, don't swap bodily fluids with someone you don't know that much about.

Apparently, there were a lot of "hard" drugs involved (according to my google newsfeed) - I am not sure how much consent can be given or received while under the influence.

I'm struggling with being too sympathetic to his partners (except for the ex-wife, I do feel bad for her). I know very little about celebrities and even I knew about his sketchy sexual history. Unless he raped women, they could have insisted on protection or called it off. Or, crazy thought, don't swap bodily fluids with someone you don't know that much about.

I'm a pretty judgmental person but even I don't go that far.    Fat man has a heart attack, smoker gets emphysema, hard drinkers get cirrhosis, sex workers get HIV.... none of those things make me turn my nose up and smirk.  It's just sad.

• Like 1

Charlie should have revealed his status to his partners.   

Anyone having unprotected sex takes a risk.  I am at risk because my husband and I do not use protection. I trust he's not HIV positive,  but of course I am not certain, and it's a risk I'm willing to take.  We've been married for decades. However, if I decided to sleep with someone else, you can bet I'd use protection.  Why these women didn't is beyond me. 

Charlie should have revealed his status to his partners. No excuse for that. None. 

I don't wish HIV on anyone, even Charlie Sheen.  

The guy is just scuzz.

Here's my understanding:  When someone's viral load has been reduced to undetectible, the risk of transmission is very very low.  There are committed couples who are discordant who decide that the risk is low enough that they choose to have unprotected sex.  One reason couples make this decision would be because they are trying to conceive.   Ideally this decision is made with input from the doctors who see the positive member of the couple.  

However, it's a big leap from a couple deciding together, with both members having full knowledge, to go without protection, to choosing to go without protection when one partner is in the dark.  There's nothing ethical about that decision, IMO.

I'll also say that even if there was a cure, and the risk of transmitting this particular virus were reduced to zero, having unprotected sex with someone with Sheen's history would be a very bad idea, because HIV is just one of many viruses out there.

So, Charlie Sheen has HIV. Sad, but not surprising and he is doing well on his medication. The really sad part is that he has paid out over $10 MILLION to people he trusted with his secret who then blackmailed him. How bad would it suck to have money interfere with every single relationship you have?!? To never be able to totally trust a friend, a nurse, a relative?!? That has to be so lonely.

For the purpose of argument, are we to assume that the above is true and not a publicity set-up?