Menu

3yo Boy Backyard Play

momacacia

I need gift suggestions for soon-to-be 3yo boy for backyard play for gross motor skills. We have a sand/water table, some swings, and a mini-playground with a little slide. We have some big balls, but I'd love something he could go out and enjoy on his own even if big sisters aren't involved and Mom here can't be either. ;) He's still in a baby/toddler swing which requires pushing, etc. And while a new puppy would be a perfect gift, we just had a soon-to-be playmate baby brother so we're not up for more live critters yet. :)

Thoughts?

• Like 1

This Twist Whiz spinner swing thing has been a huge hit and small kids can do it themselves if you hang it at the right height:http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Swings-4102196-Twist-Whiz/dp/B000063XV7

A geometric dome climber would be high on my list. Amazon has a few for about $150.

Several large old tires to walk on/in, rocks, dirt, trucks, shovels.

A sandbox that was about 5'x 5' was awesome for my boy at that age.

Homemade balance beam made with 4"x4" with 2"x4" pieces for feet.

Homemade climber with two pallets in an A-frame configuration.

This type of swing that a small child can use himself: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007DYMA8G/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?qid=1447556076&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=Playground+swing

• Like 1

Seconding the Cozy Coupe. My ds has adored it since he could walk. It's still his favorite outdoor activity by far and he's 5. Dd loved it too, when she was younger. Now they sometimes play together, with dd pushing ds up and down the driveway as fast as she can.

A tricycle or big wheel could be a good bet too.

He's also enjoyed climbing toys. We had an outdoor castle with a climbing wall, slide, etc. that wasn't terribly expensive. It wouldn't last long-term like a big playground set, but you could get a couple of years out of it.

Mostly my boy just loves to run. He's enjoyed trying to catch insects with a butterfly net and loves chasing bubbles too. Maybe a bubble machine? You could turn it on and let him loose!

If you can afford a playground with a climbing wall, they are wonderful. You could also build a low balance beam.

A basketball ball hoop for his size would be good. If you have sand or dirt, the large dump trucks are fun. My kids enjoyed setting up a little golf course. I know they sell a kit with six (or so) holders and flags, along with some preschool sizes golf clubs and balls. Even a small net and soccer ball would be fun.

My DS loved the kind of spinning tire swing where you sit (or lie on your stomach) on the sidewall. Maybe you can switch out one of your swings? (Our swing set has that capability.)

Golf set or mini basketball hoop? Wagon for pulling around treasures or stuffies? Chalk?

All my kids adored the glider swing on our swingset as a transition between the baby swing and the big-kid swings.  It's pretty safe, and they use their hands and feet to make themselves move--like a bridge to learning to pump.  My older two figured it out pretty early, but my youngest just got into it right around his third birthday.  Our metal swingset had a wider glider swing that two kids could do side-by-side or one kid could straddle; our current, wooden swingset has a glider where two kids can ride back-to-back...in case you are thinking also of that "future playmate" you mentioned who might like to ride along in a few years.

I made a little jungle gym out of PVC when my older two were about 2 and 3, and they loved hanging on it, climbing on it, using it as a fort, etc. 

Our other big gross-motor winner for 3 yos is definitely the trike.  Cozy Coupe might be great depending on your kid's size, but my youngest was almost hitting his head on the top of Grandma's by 2.5.  Someone gave us an old trike with a back seat that he loves to drive around.  The older kids liked our Radio Flyer Folding Trike, which has a little "trunk" for carrying treasures--but it's technically for ages 1.5-3 (none of mine could pedal until 2.5!) and was a bit small for our purposes, so we passed it on to a more petite cousin when we were given the bigger trike.  When I was little we had a pedal tractor with a trailer that was awesome.

• Like 1

Pressure treated 2x4 layer on the ground as a balance beam.

DH took an old 2x6, drilled a hole through the 6" side, then tied it to a tree with a rope. The tied part us about 6 inches off the ground (you could easily vary the height) and the other end rests on the ground. So like a wide, inclined balance beam. We call it the Wobble Board because it will sway back and forth.

About the tire swings and play things.

we have always lived where there are snakes.  In CA we lived in the hills of LA, and here in NC we live on acreage.

Snakes love those dark cubbies the tires provide.

DH even found a small (thankfully harmless) snake hidden in our Little Tykes plastic cube with a slide.

I would be cautious.