Menu

What is the name of that free, international, online school that offers AP level classes?

Do they still take part time students for AP?

I think they want full-time from the looks of this:

http://www.harari.edu.pl/academics/curriculum/

I'm not sure. I agree they seem to be going towards a full time model. I'm pretty sure someone here used them for a foreign language, and around the same time I had a good conversation with them about doing the same, but then a few months after that when I was ready to set up something firm, the tone changed, and they never got back to me... I'm not sure they're interested in taking on kids for just one class anymore. ..

Any reviews of this Harari and are they really free? It seems to good to be true.

Also, are they secular or are they affiliated with a religion?

I'm pretty sure they are secular. I think there are reviews on their website, although of course they put them there. ;)

Now that they've been around a couple of years, wonder if there are any others elsewhere. ..

Last I checked there was a live chat option on the website if you have questions.

We used them for Spanish 2 summer before last (end of 8th/beginning of 9th grade for us).  My daughter had the one-on-one because Spanish is a minor language for them. I was initially told she would have a male teacher from Argentina, since we had been doing Latin American Spanish in a previous class with another provider, but when they finally gave us contact information it was a woman from Barcelona. They skyped twice a week for about an hour at a time. Yes, it was free, secular, and my daughter enjoyed it. She seemed to learn a lot. Their three semester schedule doesn't mesh really well with a tradiional US semester system (at least for fall semester) and I found navigating the administrative stuff challenging. Her class did end early and, from my perspective, rather abruptly when the teacher got a new job, IIRC, but supposedly covered all the necessary material. We've gone on to Latin for high school and that will cover the foreign language requirement, so I didn't pursue any outside testing with Spanish.

I agree that they didn't seem really set up to work with students for single classes very effectively, and AFAIK were only doing it for a few languages even at that point. We had some new opportunities open up locally at that time so didn't pursue any further classes with them. It may be telling that they also did not advertise any of their subsequent classes to us nor try to maintain contact.

• 9 months later...

We are investigating this right now.  I've met with the principal and the older kids and I have met with the guidance counselor.  I should know even more in a couple of days.  In general, I'm liking this opportunity for the kids.  I'm really hoping this works.  The class we audited was really good, and it sparked a lot of interest in the humanities that hasn't happened in our own school.  It could be the balance I need.

• Like 3

For anyone who wants more information on Harari - My twins are in Harari and have been for over two years. There are many things I love about the school but there is also some drawbacks. It is free and most of the courses are taught at a high level. My daughter has taken 5 AP classes with them so far and has been learning Italian through one of their teachers. She just tested in level C1 for Italian and is prepping for the AP Italian this year with the teacher. Her AP scores have all been 5s with the exception of one 4. And the school is free including all the textbooks which are delivered as ebooks. My son is also enrolled and he is provided with accommodations for his work at the school which is very helpful and needed for him. In addition they are working with the College Board to get approvals for him so he can take the APs. I am glad they are working on this for me. 

Drawbacks are that sometimes things they have planned do not work out. For instance last year they were going to have all the kids learn German and that never panned out. Also they were going to introduce math and science courses. This year they do have AP Statistics but they still do not offer any science. For being free though the positives far outweigh the negatives. 

You have to go full time and if you enroll your kids make sure they are very academic. It is fast paced and intense at times. We do like their calendar system because it allows for a nice break three times a year that my twins really need. In addition they will grant credit for internships (my son is doing one right now) and they help you get into strong summer programs (my daughter went to the Yale Young Global Scholars this summer). 

Hope this helps anyone who may be interested. 

• Like 8

For anyone who wants more information on Harari - My twins are in Harari and have been for over two years. There are many things I love about the school but there is also some drawbacks. It is free and most of the courses are taught at a high level. My daughter has taken 5 AP classes with them so far and has been learning Italian through one of their teachers. She just tested in level C1 for Italian and is prepping for the AP Italian this year with the teacher. Her AP scores have all been 5s with the exception of one 4. And the school is free including all the textbooks which are delivered as ebooks. My son is also enrolled and he is provided with accommodations for his work at the school which is very helpful and needed for him. In addition they are working with the College Board to get approvals for him so he can take the APs. I am glad they are working on this for me.

Drawbacks are that sometimes things they have planned do not work out. For instance last year they were going to have all the kids learn German and that never panned out. Also they were going to introduce math and science courses. This year they do have AP Statistics but they still do not offer any science. For being free though the positives far outweigh the negatives.

You have to go full time and if you enroll your kids make sure they are very academic. It is fast paced and intense at times. We do like their calendar system because it allows for a nice break three times a year that my twins really need. In addition they will grant credit for internships (my son is doing one right now) and they help you get into strong summer programs (my daughter went to the Yale Young Global Scholars this summer).

Hope this helps anyone who may be interested.

How is it full time without sciences?

How is it full time without sciences?

By full time I mean you have to take the full course load that they offer each quarter. You supplement the classes with your own homeschool courses to create a full load. This quarter they offered AP Art History, AP Literature, Independent Writing Project, AP Statistics, and a foreign language. Independently of the school my twins are also doing a few other classes. 

Edited by Jilly

By full time I mean you have to take the full course load that they offer each quarter. You supplement the classes with your own homeschool courses to create a full load. This quarter they offered AP Art History, AP Literature, Independent Writing Project, AP Statistics, and a foreign language. Independently of the school my twins are also doing a few other classes. 

So you had to take all of those?

Do you know in advance what is going to be offered? What about foreign language. Do you get to chose which one you want?

So you had to take all of those?

Do you know in advance what is going to be offered? What about foreign language. Do you get to chose which one you want?

Yes the students have to take all the courses but they did let my son do an internship for credit instead of AP Art History. For foreign language you are given a choice. My daughter is studying Italian and my son is studying French. I think the other choice was German but I am not 100% sure on that. 

The school sends out a schedule before the quarter starts but not always far in advance. The AP classes will be taught for the whole year. They will change the electives around each quarter. Some electives that my kids have taken are Religious Studies, German Culture, Introduction to Social Science, Global Studies, and Latin America Studies. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Like 1

Jilly, I believe they talked about your daughter (no names) in our meeting yesterday.

We don't have any issues with most of the program, my kids enjoyed the AP Art History Course they sat in on this week.  Our issues would be one is a rising junior, and the course times (in our timezones) are during set practice times.  We're waiting to hear back from the Principal(?) about these main issues. 

• Like 1

Is this really legit? 

This is their first paragraph, and outside of being awkward I don't really know what that last sentence even means:

Harari College Worldwide is an online, tuition-free, college-level program for high school students from all over the world. By offering a rigorous, research-oriented, global, collegiate, obstacles-free environment that specializes in the humanities and the social sciences, we allow each student to pursue his interests and ambitions until this very end.

But I cannot see available classes, or anything else about the programs, staff, or really any information at all. No contact info. No click to learn more. No "sign up here." Just 1 kind of odd initial page. 

Too good to be true?

• Like 1

Is this really legit? 

This is their first paragraph, and outside of being awkward I don't really know what that last sentence even means:

But I cannot see available classes, or anything else about the programs, staff, or really any information at all. No contact info. No click to learn more. No "sign up here." Just 1 kind of odd initial page. 

Too good to be true?

Yes. I was curious. This is a Zombie Thread. When I went to the web site, the web site (at this time) seems to consist of one page. I didn't see any areas on the web page, where one might click for more information. Possibly they are on vacation and do that when they are gone? Or, possibly their web site is being upgraded and is temporarily disabled, with the exception of that "Home Page"?

Yes. I was curious. This is a Zombie Thread. When I went to the web site, the web site (at this time) seems to consist of one page. I didn't see any areas on the web page, where one might click for more information. Possibly they are on vacation and do that when they are gone? Or, possibly their web site is being upgraded and is temporarily disabled, with the exception of that "Home Page"?

Their website is much more anemic than it used to be. When I looked into this a couple of years ago there were extensive subpages with information on classes different types of tracks you could take through the system, and there was also a live chat box that you could chat with somebody from them live. I did that more than once, actually, when I was trying to see if my DD could take just a language course from them, which apparently had been done in the past but isn't offered anymore. Have no idea why they stripped it down so much..

Their Facebook page seems to have more information on than their website does now? ... and while this is a zombie thread, two posters have posted in the past few days that their dc are currently taking classes there...

Edited by Matryoshka