Menu

Doodlers - Christmas ideas for a college doodler

Miss Marple

Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens.  We get 4-pen sets like this one and go through a few a year!  http://www.amazon.com/Pitt-Artist-Pens-Wallet-Styles/dp/B000TKEZDO/

We also have the skin tone and sepia tone sets, plus the manga one but I'm not sure how that one is different.  (There are Pitt "brush" pens and those are NOT the ones we use for doodling and art.  We use the ones with "nibs".)

Each of my artists also has a small, almost pocket-sized sketchbook so that they can bring it with them, specifically for doodling and jotting down ideas on the go.  Nothing fancy.  

• Like 1

A friend recommended a Sketch Box subscription.

I really love Frixion erasable pens, Micron pens, good paper like Rhodia or Tomoe River or a whole bunch of Moleskines. 

Also classes like this:  http://sketchbookskoolhouse.com/  or    http://www.creativebug.com/workshops/basic-line-drawing-2

More reading on supplies for sketching: http://melissawiley.com/blog/tag/art-journals/

• Like 1

There are some great ideas in this thread and on that doodler's wish list. One thing I haven't seen mentioned that might be nice is a set of French curves, or a flexible curve, or a protractor. Search under "drawing curves" at Amazon or Blick and you'll see several choices. Some are small enough to be used as a bookmark.

• Like 1

How about one of those big packs of Sharpies? I think those are cool, but I am a forty-something woman who has difficulty drawing stick figures, so I could be wrong. ;)

I got him that last year lol!  He likes them when he's home and has plenty of room to lay out items.  I think this time around I want something that will go in his pocket or backpack.

I found so many cool doodles on the edges of his papers or in his notebooks.  I've tried to pull them out when I can...

DD17s favorite markers:

Prismacolor Premier Markers fine Line Assorted (14174)

Prismacolor Double ended Art markers (She has the set in the black pouch but I got it for cheaper-maybe put it into CamelCamelCamel to watch for a lower price if you are interested in them)

TomBow Dual Brush Pen set  These are fun because they come in 'theme' packs, so they aren't your basic red/yellow/blue.  DD has several sets and loves them.  They also have a blender that makes it fun to create water color washes of color over images drawn with the Prismacolor fine line markers.

She also keeps a couple of the Sharpie colors in different sizes.  We have tons of sharpies, but she only keeps a couple in her drawing box.  Mostly black and a few darker shades like dark purple, or dark green. 

One of dd's favorite things to draw on are good quality, blank index cards.  They are cheap, small and just the right weight for marker drawings.  

If your son is not already familiar with mind mapping, he might enjoy a book on the topic.  Here is one ~

The Mind Map Book: How to Use Radiant Thinking to Maximize Your Brain's Untapped Potential by Tony Buzan

ETA: This book also sounds intriguing ~

The Doodle Revolution: Unlock the Power to Think Differently by Sunni Brown

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

If your son is not already familiar with mind mapping, he might enjoy a book on the topic.  Here is one ~

The Mind Map Book: How to Use Radiant Thinking to Maximize Your Brain's Untapped Potential by Tony Buzan

ETA: This book also sounds intriguing ~

The Doodle Revolution: Unlock the Power to Think Differently by Sunni Brown

Regards,

KarenI

Interesting! This fella does march to the beat of a different drummer.  He is very creative.   A while back he lamented that living on campus was a problem because he didn't have a place to do all his hobbies :)

It is fun watching him move through life.  

• Like 1