Menu

How do you argue against this Quiz answer?

A co-worker was grading quizzes last night and came across this response:

Biology quiz question:
LIst 3 cellular activities that require energy.

Student's answer: 
1) charging your phone
2) listening to music on your phone
3) turning phone on and off

It's a different generation, isn't it?   :lol: 
  • Like 14

Can't decide if this deserves an A or an F

Similar thoughts here.   I love outside the box thinking, so I'd have to determine if this was a student who had a brain freeze and came up with something creative or if they truly hadn't been paying attention to the actual Bio material...

• Like 1

Similar thoughts here.   I love outside the box thinking, so I'd have to determine if this was a student who had a brain freeze and came up with something creative or if they truly hadn't been paying attention to the actual Bio material...

Well, I mean, if you remove the context of a biology exam, he did answer the question itself perfectly. It's the test writers fault for using an assumed definition of the word cellular, and not clarifying their context.  He DID name three cellular activities which require energy. And he didn't say anything like 'putting the phone in your pocket' which, in his context of the word energy as related to a cellular phone (electricity) would have been an incorrect answer. It's not his fault the test writer wasn't clear exactly whether they meant cellular as a noun or adjective. This isn't a grammar exam! 

Wow, I really am overtired.... I think I need to go to bed. 

• Like 2

Honestly what I'd do is call him into my office and say "Nice job, smartypants, now if you can RIGHT NOW fill in the problem the way you know it was supposed to be answered you can have the points. Next time you want to write a joke answer, write the real answer in the margin."

• Like 17

Well, I mean, if you remove the context of a biology exam, he did answer the question itself perfectly. It's the test writers fault for using an assumed definition of the word cellular, and not clarifying their context.  He DID name three cellular activities which require energy. And he didn't say anything like 'putting the phone in your pocket' which, in his context of the word energy as related to a cellular phone (electricity) would have been an incorrect answer. It's not his fault the test writer wasn't clear exactly whether they meant cellular as a noun or adjective. This isn't a grammar exam! 

I'm kinda thinking the fact that he was in a Bio class while taking this quiz might have been a decent clue for context of the word.

I haven't had a chance to talk with this teacher to see who it was or overall context.

It definitely provided a chuckle though - at least - since it wasn't one of my students!

Honestly what I'd do is call him into my office and say "Nice job, smartypants, now if you can RIGHT NOW fill in the problem the way you know it was supposed to be answered you can have the points. Next time you want to write a joke answer, write the real answer in the margin."

Good solution!  My guess though is that the student had a brain freeze about what was being asked for and figured they might as well write in something.  That might not be true.  It could be a student caring more about a laugh.

• Like 1

The student was probably checking to see if the teacher was paying attention.  :gnorsi:

On a quiz, probably not.  We get that often in notes/packet work though.  Those I have don't question that anymore.  ;)  I can still get some cute comments, but they know I'm reading, so write accordingly.

Perhaps they were hoping to end up on one of those click bait lists of clever test answers or hoping the teaching would respond with something sassy so they could post it on-line and go viral.

I talked with the co-worker today.  This gal was just clueless... when cued in about wanting a Bio answer rather than a "today's society" answer, she did come up with two workable examples...

Times/words have changed!

• Like 3

I talked with the co-worker today.  This gal was just clueless... when cued in about wanting a Bio answer rather than a "today's society" answer, she did come up with two workable examples...

You know, we all have moments like that.

My mom once looked up at a sign while my dad was driving and wondered what a "Polish" wax was. You know, the kind of thing they offer at a car wash.

• Like 1

You know, we all have moments like that.

My mom once looked up at a sign while my dad was driving and wondered what a "Polish" wax was. You know, the kind of thing they offer at a car wash.

LOL....made me laugh.  My blonde roots thought it was just hilarious.

Same here.  I'd have gotten a chuckle out of grading that one... I think.

Of course, I also might have wondered if I'd been talking to the wall when I explained everything that was going on in the cell, but we'll assume it would have just been the chuckle.

My classes get their test on this stuff on Tuesday (they did an Ecology chapter earlier changing the schedules).  Most students find this the toughest chapter in Bio.  Perhaps I'll stop by the market and pick up a bottle of wine this weekend.

LOL...Ok now I get it.

Apparently I'm not as creative. 

• Like 1

I've had people write things like that. I've also had a "I have no idea what this question was asking, so I decided to draw the unit circle from memory in hopes that you'll see that I haven't learned absolutely nothing from this class" in a precalculus class.

• Like 3

:iagree: this is what I would do.  My 14 year old pulls this kind of stuff occasionally, he thinks it's funny (so do I, but don't tell him).  If the student got most of the rest of the questions right I'd assume they were willing to take a "hit" for the joke.  They wanted to make you laugh.  

• Like 1

My guess is that she completely blanked.

This used to happen to me in French class in high school.  I was taking Spanish 4 and French 2 in my senior year.  Sometimes on a French test I would blank and put in the Spanish word instead.  Sometimes it was inadvertent. ;)

• Like 1