Menu

Best time to go to Williamsburg?

aaplank

I am planning a family trip to Williamsburg and need help deciding on the best time to go. We are studying American history this year and I want the kids to have the whole Williamsburg experience I remember when I was a kid. My kids have never been and I want to make sure that we spend enough time there to make the most of every opportunity. I also want to hit Jamestown and Yorktown.

We were thinking of going either late February or mid-April. There are some homeschool days in February and March but I wasn't sure if everything in Williamsburg is up and running. I'm also afraid that mid-April will be a big field trip time for local schools.

So if you were me what would you do? Go late February or mid-April or maybe you have another suggestion for the best time to go. Thanks for your help.

Mid-April from your dates...

But fall is always my favorite :)

We go at the end of September when they do Homeschool days- but I bet October is *fabulous*!!

And I really want to go at Thanksgiving... Jamestown and Yorktown have neat Thanksgiving programs.

I would pick fall above all the other times to go- hands down.

• Like 1

Yorktown is doing a huge renovation to be completed by the end of 2016 -- unfortunately a year too late.  :(

We are doing American History this year, too; however, we are going to wait until the renovation is completed.

I would be more concerned about weather than I would about field trips.  YMMV, but cold weather is not my friend.

I think that early June would be a lovely time to go.  Most of the school kids will have (probably) already had their field trips, but they won't be out of school yet

• Like 1

I am planning a family trip to Williamsburg and need help deciding on the best time to go. We are studying American history this year and I want the kids to have the whole Williamsburg experience I remember when I was a kid. My kids have never been and I want to make sure that we spend enough time there to make the most of every opportunity. I also want to hit Jamestown and Yorktown.

We were thinking of going either late February or mid-April. There are some homeschool days in February and March but I wasn't sure if everything in Williamsburg is up and running. I'm also afraid that mid-April will be a big field trip time for local schools.

So if you were me what would you do? Go late February or mid-April or maybe you have another suggestion for the best time to go. Thanks for your help.

Spring would be a wonderful time to go to Williamsburg. Because Spring.

I don't even care about homeschool days.

My Williamsburg philosophy is that we meander from place to place, hanging out for as long as anyone in the group (family) wants to at any one place, moving on when everyone is ready. I don't try to make things more educational; we just want to enjoy our time.

Of course, you have to see the movie at the Visitor's Center.

We go to the Governor's Mansion, even though you have to pay extra for it. Sometimes it's a great tour, sometimes it is not. Doesn't matter. :-)

We like to have breakfast at the Old Chickahominy House (only breakfast and lunch are served; I prefer the breakfast menu).

• Like 1

Yorktown is doing a huge renovation to be completed by the end of 2016 -- unfortunately a year too late. :(

We are doing American History this year, too; however, we are going to wait until the renovation is completed.

I would be more concerned about weather than I would about field trips. YMMV, but cold weather is not my friend.

I think that early June would be a lovely time to go. Most of the school kids will have (probably) already had their field trips, but they won't be out of school yet

About that Yorktown renovation....

The new museum is under renovation. BUT! They have what they call an outoor interpretive area...and it's magical. We went this past spring. It was the highlight of our trip to Wburg. You walk around a recreated village, but it feels entirely real. At each "station" people are there to explain things and at set times they have really well done demonstrations. We made cornbread, we almost shot the cannon (legally at the end the guide had to take over the actual firing, but we helped prep), and we cut wood with a colonial saw. And there was a lot more. We walked in a garden, walked inside a tiny cabin, etc.

I can't express enough what a special time it was with my family. We were there in May juuust before it got too hot. The sky was beautiful. The kids were enchanted. It was not crowded. It was medium paced and calm and we learned a ton. We got to interact at almost every station.

So, who cares if the indoor museum isn't done? Get outside to the interactive part which is most likely a richer experience for the kids. It was better than Williamsburg itself and my kids remember it as one of our favorite days out as a family. It wasn't huge. It was just a small encampment, but packed a big punch. We were there for about 3-4 hours.

• Like 1

About that Yorktown renovation....

The new museum is under renovation. BUT! They have what they call an outoor interpretive area...and it's magical. We went this past spring. It was the highlight of our trip to Wburg. You walk around a recreated village, but it feels entirely real. At each "station" people are there to explain things and at set times they have really well done demonstrations. We made cornbread, we almost shot the cannon (legally at the end the guide had to take over the actual firing, but we helped prep), and we cut wood with a colonial saw. And there was a lot more. We walked in a garden, walked inside a tiny cabin, etc.

I can't express enough what a special time it was with my family. We were there in May juuust before it got too hot. The sky was beautiful. The kids were enchanted. It was not crowded. It was medium paced and calm and we learned a ton. We got to interact at almost every station.

So, who cares if the indoor museum isn't done? Get outside to the interactive part which is most likely a richer experience for the kids. It was better than Williamsburg itself and my kids remember it as one of our favorite days out as a family. It wasn't huge. It was just a small encampment, but packed a big punch. We were there for about 3-4 hours.

Thank you, Garga!  I didn't know this was there!

Homeschool days are a huge savings, but I would pay extra to not have to go in Feb. We always went during homeschool days in Sept. Yeah, don't worry about the museum at Yorktown. I don't even remember it! Everything cool was outside. 

Also, don't miss the glassblowing on the way to Jamestown and make sure to visit historical Jamestown, not just the interpretive center. The museum out there is really interesting and it's amazing to see the actual site. 

• Like 1

October. Or right now.

If you go in the spring, prepare to be either in a small group which gets added to a school group going through a building or in a group squeezed into a time slot in between two school groups. BTDT. The interpreters do the best they can, but the school group numbers are overwhelming.

• Like 1

Also, Williamsburg has a beautiful event in December.  Something about Lights.  It's lovely.  I went to school there and remember walking back to the dorms singing Christmas carols as a light snow was falling.

So I vote December.

this event occurs one Sunday night in December. If one wants to see it, one should book a hotel for that date now. There are fireworks, strolling musicians and entertainers. It is fun, but it only happens one night. 

I also have fond memories of seeing it in college. I took my dd and younger ds 5 years ago when they were 13 and 9. 

• Like 1