Menu

Dollhouse recommendations

JustEm

I'm looking for a doll house for my kids for Christmas and need reccomendations and experience on quality and such. I want a wooden one but I want to have a better idea of good for the price quality because I don't want to waste money on something that won't last many years. Thanks

We have this one but an unfurnished version (we already had dolls and furniture)

http://www.amazon.com/Hape-Seasons-House-Furnished-Playset/dp/B005QZLBXO/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1446488289&sr=1-1&keywords=hape+dollhouse

It has held up through moving twice cross-country. My kids have all enjoyed it and it is big enough to play and have options without being huge. A plus for us is the roof lifts off making it easier to access.

ETA: Posted before I was finished.

• Like 1

We have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Designed-You-Dollhouse-Furniture/dp/B0019LSGLY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1446490706&sr=8-7&keywords=wood+dollhouse

The Maxim Designed by You Dollhouse. It's modular--the rooms can be rearranged into one big house in various configurations or two smaller ones. It comes with furniture and a family of 2 (adults only). We supplemented with a Hape family and kids' room furniture, as well as a baby and nursery furniture. Our daughter loves playing with it, though she makes it a house for her miniature Mickey and Minnie figures instead of the dollhouse people. It's done well through one international move thus far.

It does require assembly, but it was easy.

• Like 1

We have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Designed-You-Dollhouse-Furniture/dp/B0019LSGLY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1446490706&sr=8-7&keywords=wood+dollhouse

The Maxim Designed by You Dollhouse. It's modular--the rooms can be rearranged into one big house in various configurations or two smaller ones. It comes with furniture and a family of 2 (adults only). We supplemented with a Hape family and kids' room furniture, as well as a baby and nursery furniture. Our daughter loves playing with it, though she makes it a house for her miniature Mickey and Minnie figures instead of the dollhouse people. It's done well through one international move thus far.

It does require assembly, but it was easy.

We had this and enjoyed it a lot.  We bought a doll family of 7 to go with it, along with the playground set and a nursery set.

• Like 1

I know you said that you liked the wooden ones.  I have no experience with those.

My girls were given the Fisher-Price Loving Family dollhouse 10 years ago.  It has been played with nearly every day and is still in (mostly) good shape.  We have tons of furniture, as we have had many birthdays and Christmases in 10 years.  Some of the girls are over it, but one of my older daughters was upset this week when someone suggested we put it in storage for a while,

• Like 3

Mine loved the Calico Critters house as well.

We also had old vintage ones that we decorated very hodge podge. I collected odds and ends from garage sales and around the house. Felt babies in walnut shell or matchbox beds. Crystals, and handmade chandeliers (easy to make), you know, stuff like that. That one was messy, but the best. Vintage doll house furniture is fun to collect! They crushed some of the stuff, but that's okay. You can find vintage doll houses on Etsy and Craigslist. 

We also had the Madeline doll house. The furniture was great for that one! Unfortunately the wall construction for the house wasn't the best. It's made of a cardboard and eventually bowed and bent under the pressure of wild girls having too much fun.