Menu

Picky cursive question

EKT

When you write a word in cursive that contains an apostrophe (example: "Sally's house," or "We'll see you soon"), do you connect the letters after the apostrophe to the rest of the word and just fit the apostrophe in between, or do you write each element fully separately?

In other words, do you write:

(a) "Sallys" all connected, with the apostrophe wedged in between the y and the s, OR

(b) Sally SPACE apostrophe SPACE letter s

Just curious if others there is a "proper" convention for this. Thanks! 

I learned A, and that's what I assumed was correct.  I was pretty surprised to see everyone choosing B!  

I learned with A Beka, and that's the style I teach my kids, so I just looked it up on their website.  I had to get to 4th grade before they had a sample page with an apostrophe, but it's in the A format, just like I remembered.  Glad I'm not losing my mind!  It must vary by cursive style.

I've always done A. In fact, if I remember correctly, I was told to slightly 'widen' the space between the y and the s, leaving a bit of a larger space for the apostrophe (but y and s were still connected). I can't remember what curriculum was used in my early elementary years, but I went to private school and I'm almost positive they used Abeka. I know I learned cursive in kindy.

I learned A, and that's what I assumed was correct. I was pretty surprised to see everyone choosing B!

I learned with A Beka, and that's the style I teach my kids, so I just looked it up on their website. I had to get to 4th grade before they had a sample page with an apostrophe, but it's in the A format, just like I remembered. Glad I'm not losing my mind! It must vary by cursive style.

m

I was just about to start thinking I was losing my mind as well! I do A, and was taught via Abeka...so there ya go. ;)

It depends on my mood.  More often A.  I kind of treat the apostrophe like dotting i's/j's and crossing t's.  It happens after I write the whole word.

Traditionally, a space is correct.  However, if it is legible, it is perfectly find to not have the space there.

I kind of mix both.

I keep them connected and add the apostrophe because that is the way I was taught in ps in 3rd grade when we learned cursive, but I do make the connection of the letters a little wider to accommodate for the apostrophe that will be added later when I finish writing the world.