Menu

spaghetti squash?

MyThreeSons

Three of our favorites are:

mix cooked squash with cooked, crumbled italian sausage, sauteed onions and peppers and garlic, tomato sauce and top with mozz/ Italian cheese blend. Bake until bubbly.

mix hot cooked squash with alfredo sauce, bits of cooked bacon, frozen green peas ( thawed but not cooked)and parsely. Serve with parmesan on top.

mix hot cooked squash with a jar of salsa, top with chesddar and bake until cheese is melted and begins to brown. A nice alternative to mexican rice.

I made a buffalo chicken casserole that was good. I combined a few recipes I saw online. Rotisserie chicken, ranch, cream cheese, Frank's hot sauce, topped with cheddar.

Baked spaghetti: mix ricotta with egg and seasonings as you would for lasagna, stir in spaghetti squash, layer in the bottom of a casserole dish. (Spinach or arugula is good mixed in too.) top with meat of choice or mushrooms or whatever, then a layer of your favorite tomato sauce, then parm and mozz. Bake until melty.

It's good tossed with Barefoot Contessa's baked shrimp scampi.

• Like 1

I made a buffalo chicken casserole that was good. I combined a few recipes I saw online. Rotisserie chicken, ranch, cream cheese, Frank's hot sauce, topped with cheddar.

Baked spaghetti: mix ricotta with egg and seasonings as you would for lasagna, stir in spaghetti squash, layer in the bottom of a casserole dish. (Spinach or arugula is good mixed in too.) top with meat of choice or mushrooms or whatever, then a layer of your favorite tomato sauce, then parm and mozz. Bake until melty.

It's good tossed with Barefoot Contessa's baked shrimp scampi.

yum, yum and yum! we get lots of spaghetti squash from our csa. always looking for good ways to cook it!

I cook it by baking or microwaving. I cut mine around the middle rather than lengthwise, and take the "noodles" out with a fork, to get the longest possible noodles.

I use it as a replacement for spaghetti, so I put Pesto or tomato meat sauce on it.

I've also used it as a sub for rice noodles in pad Thai, and Thai chicken peanut sauce noodles.

I prefer other squashes for side dishes. Spaghetti squash is kind of stringy and bland to want to eat for its own merit. But as a low carb sub, I like it. It is more moist, so recipes don't turn out the same. Don't put cheese sauce on it for squash and cheese and tell the kids it will be like Mac and cheese.

I make a sausage gravy to put on top.  I don't have a recipe, per se, but fry some Jimmy Dean type sausage (whatever you prefer - spicy, sweet italian, breakfast, etc) and make a thin white sauce with garlic and some butter and we eat that on top, similar to what you would eat on a southern breakfast biscuit.

Personally, I don;t like it with marinara because I think the combination is too sweet.   We like the more savory topping of the sausage gravy.