Menu

How much would you charge to homeschool

Me personally, I wouldn't take on any personal level of responsibility there other than babysitting, and I'd charge accordingly. I'd have the parents chose and pay for a fully planned out thing (K12, BJU Homesat, calvert, whatever), and I'd merely be the facilitator, the daytime host. That way you don't get in the middle of the trouble (personal issues) these boys have that may be beyond your ability, and all responsibility for success or failure is on their part. And how much to facilitate two boys like that? $2-3 an hour per boy I would think. That may be way low. Depends on how well you know them and how strongly you feel about doing it. The amount you receive needs to balance out the anticipated inconvenience. Oh, and if the boys do anything on computer, they should be required to have laptops so they can work while you shuttle your own kids places. So the major expense is what the parents plunk out for the boys' schooling, not so much your services.

That's my two cents, if I'm reading your situation correctly. I just wouldn't take on as your own responsibility anything more than you feel you can handle. The more THEY handle and take accountability for, the better.

Yes, JFS, I tend to agree about the homeschooling vs tutoring. What I don't understand is why the parent thinks she has to work, and can't homeschool, yet could afford a huge tuition like $20,000! Isn't that basically a part-time salary? She is not alone, but "has to work." She could make far more than that, of course (probably does), but still, it seems like it would be more cost-efficient to homeschool them herself.

OhE, I think you raise some great points. I am not familiar with K12 (other than SWB used to write their history!) or BJU. I would be charging for overseeing AND teaching, and I would not do it for as low as you indicate you would, but you have given me much to think about. I didn't think about the computer angle--good idea to do laptops.

Anyone else?

Well Elaine, I'd love to charge about 10 thou a kid, plan it out, have total control--I'm just like that! I'm thinking of doing it because I want dd at home instead of in school, I want to earn enough $ to cover expenses and to save for ds' college, and I like homeschooling AND tutoring. I am sick of preschool teaching and want to be home--but I've complained enough about that, so I"m not going to, now.

I do want to help the mom and the sons. Although I've not spoken to the mom yet, she comes with good "rec's!" My time and my expertise is very valuable. If it didn't work out, I would have to go back to preschool teaching or tutoring. I think what I'd do is give it a two month trial. If it was working, I'd bring dd8 home. If not, she'd just stay at school and not have to transition back and forth.

Thanks for asking good questions to help me think this thru.

I like OhE's idea. Have the mom buy pre-packaged curriculum and laptops for each dc. Then you charge a babysitting fee - though I'd go a lot higher on that - probably $5/hr/kid. So if they're with you full time, for 36 weeks, you'd make nearly $10,000 in a year. If she wanted you to watch the dc during 'summer break', then it would be even more.

I totally forgot you are working for money already! I would only charge low if you were already home and viewed it as a sort of ministry or gift. If this is a professional relationship, they should pay you what your time is worth as a professional, basically at least whatever you've been getting at your current job. There should be time included for prep and planning.

You want to check your state laws on tutoring or homeschooling another's dc, see with whom the buck stops, etc. You want to make sure that you've worked out all issues of satisfaction and potential disatisfaction to prevent problems. Isn't it funny how these people ask how much it would cost BEFORE they ask even what you'd be teaching their kid? (I got approached about this, and that blew my mind.) For you to personalize their curriculum would be MUCH more expensive than for them to buy a straight package, because they need to pay you for all your time: time in planning, time in research, time in testing and placement for them, etc.

I also think, not to be tacky, that you could have some issues with how the boys relate to you. All depends on how they respond to authority, but it's definitely something to consider.

two boys, around 6th grade and 8th grade, who have anxiety disorder and have a very hard time being in large groups? They are from the same family. We live in No Va, where private school is about 7-10 thou a year.

I've asked this before, but I'm askin' again! :D

Only for my own, otherwise, not for all the money in the world! (Not meaning to be selfish, but there's just not enough time to homeschool my kids and others', too.)

I depends. How long will the children be in your care each day? How much will you have to plan? How long will you be teaching vs. babysitting? I assume that the family will provide all curriculum materials, supplies, computers, etc.

If it is just for a few hours per day, I would charge the going rate for tutors in your area per hour. If it is all day (combined tutoring/babysitting) I would figure out how much of that time you expect to be teaching and how much you expect to be babysitting and charge accordingly. Tutors in our area make $30-50 per hour easily, and adult, experienced babysitters make $10/hr last I checked.

I would also consider how much planning you will be doing. For example, even if you do a boxed curriculum, you will still need to gather supplies for activities and that takes time. I would charge the tutoring fee for that too.

If you charge a flat fee, I would charge on the high end (or more) of what private school charge in your area. And then I would provide all curriculum materials and supplies just as a private school would especially if you will be supervising the children for 6 hours or more daily.

Cris, I live in VA, &, from what I remember, you have to be a certified tutor to "tutor" someone else's children. I don't know if you can do full time tutoring; if not, I know that someone else cannot teach someone else's children full time--for example, a grandparent or aunt cannot be the one that homeschools a child, it has to be the parent for it to be legal.

Right after I made my post here I got an email on our homeschool list that a single mom is looking for someone to homeschool her son. It was kind of a strange coincidence! Probably nothing will come of it but dh and I will talk tonight. It is a strange feeling to consider this, even in passing.

What I don't understand is why the parent thinks she has to work, and can't homeschool, yet could afford a huge tuition like $20,000! Isn't that basically a part-time salary? She is not alone, but "has to work." She could make far more than that, of course (probably does), but still, it seems like it would be more cost-efficient to homeschool them herself.

Since I homeschool other people's children and have run a daycare, I feel I can bring something to this discussion.

The first is that every family situation is different and you can't make assumptions online or even in person about the other family.

I've discovered that the number of families looking to share homeschooling, or outsource homeschooling is growing for many reasons. Being an advocate of educational choice, I wish the homeschooling community would be more, up, open to variety. ;)

I had a mom once talk to me at the park about homeschooling her son because he was the son of a lesbian couple and she wanted to spare him from what that could mean for him in the public school social setting. The irony of that had me giggling for a week - maybe more.

In any case, I'm not going to share my rates. And my rates are prayerfully determined and vary according to family. They are MUCH cheaper than anything I've seen recommended in these threads.

two boys, around 6th grade and 8th grade, who have anxiety disorder and have a very hard time being in large groups? They are from the same family. We live in No Va, where private school is about 7-10 thou a year.

I've asked this before, but I'm askin' again! :D

A lot more than I'm getting now, that's for sure.

You have to remember that with others' children, you also deal with others' child-rearing techniques, which can make things MUCH harder. Just something to think about.

Thanks, all, for giving me so much to consider. Some thoughts, based on yours--

I think I would make it an hourly rate, and I would also encourage the parents to find a way to pick up some of the homeschooling themselves. As far as the VA law goes, I feel I can have a clear conscience about tutoring someone else's child without being certified. The way I look at it is that the parents would be ultimately responsible for overseeing their child's education. I can advise on curriculum, basing the choices I give them on what they tell me about their child, my experience with various companies and methodologies, the time and money they want to spend, the religious/secular stuff, what I'm comfortable with philosophically and practically, and so on. I think I feel pretty confident within certain boundaries--if they don't want to "go there," then fine. I want them to be in control, as I feel that is the law. If I am a VA homeschooler, and I outsource some of my kid's stuff, I think that's fine and lawful. If I had no input and never looked in my kid's bookbag, then that would not be lawful. Maybe I'm stretching it a bit, but that's where my convictions lie.

I would definitely check on any concurrent issues with the anxiety, including obedience issues--we've got those around here, and there's no way I'm working with ODD again, for example.

This is actually more preliminary that it may seem from my question and subsequent posts--I just appreciate the ability to explore this with you so very much!