Menu

Jeans for not-yet-teen-boy??

4ofus

My 12 yo is 5'7" & 110# on a heavy day. He has a long, lean, athletic build. He hasn't worn jeans in a couple of years (didn't like them). He needs a pair for an event tomorrow & I've waited until the last minute. I didn't expect it to be hard to find a pair of jeans.

I eyeballed him & thought, unless someone has 18 long & narrow jeans, he probably is out of kids. Our first stop was AE. Based on a quick try-on of a few styles, he needs a 27" waist & a 31" inseam. So, what brand makes a narrow fitting 28x32? In store?? I think I'm much more likely to find that sizing.

Any suggestions to focus our search would be appreciated!

• Like 1

Levi's, but you have to special order them.  AE also has 29/32 I think, but also special order. You will not find that size in a store. 

But my ds13 is around the same size and he does wear 16's or maybe it's 18's (he almost never wears pants, just shorts, which are a 16).  Old Navy is your best bet, they are not pricey, and the waist is adjustable. Gap also works.

Good luck!

• Like 2

We walked in Abercrombie ( it was next door & advertised all jeans for $29) to see if their largest youth size would fit. It was a 16 which was too small waist & length.

I do think an 18 might work in the waist--length could be a problem. He's been wearing shorts/athletic pants for a couple of years which has been fine by me b/c length is slways a problem.

Old Navy is a good idea. Idk why I didn't think of them. That's where his current khaki's are from. Size 18 skinny. We'll check there.

I'd love to try Wranglers. I need to find out who carries them around here.

I need to make this happen in a 2-hr time window between other things this afternoon.

Nothing like waiting until the last minute. You think I'd learn :).

We walked in Abercrombie ( it was next door & advertised all jeans for $29) to see if their largest youth size would fit. It was a 16 which was too small waist & length.

I'd love to try Wranglers. I need to find out who carries them around here.

Abercombie has 28x32 in the guy's jeans section. 

You could find Wranglers at Target and Walmart, probably Kohls and Sears too.

My 5ft tall DS10 fits into a Levis 27x27 or 14 reg,  Old Navy 16 reg so the guys skinny or slim cut section for jeans are a safer bet for finding what you need.  I actually find most of the skinny jeans at the guys clearance rack, my hubby is a beanpole.

• Like 1

He tried on 28x30 at AE. It's too wide in the waist, too short in the leg.

Y'know how jeans from different manufacturers all fit differently (for women anyway)? I was hoping someone could point me to a more narrow fitting brand. I think the numbers are as close as we'll get...now just looking for the ones that work.

I think I have a good start with Old Navy & Wranglers. If necessary maybe I'll check in A&F too. Idkfs, b/c I've never shopped it, but those clothes seem small & teen-ager-sized.

Walmart will sometimes have size 18 jeans in the boys section, that still have the adjustable elastic in the waist. That's what my 13 year old is wearing - he's about a 27 inch waist, 31-32 inch inseam. Once he outgrows these, we'll get the smallest waist we can find for his inseam, and he will just wear a belt.

• Like 1

I've had good luck at Kohl's in the boys dept.  My son finds "skinny" style jeans fit best. They also tend to run smaller, even though the jean companies swear up and down the size is the same, just a cleaner cut, with the skinny style.  He finds that the skinny cut is actually narrower, no matter what they say. He has some Levi that fit well. We've found them at Kohl's on a regular basis. Skinny cut look like regular jeans on him. We found a levi store at one of those outlet malls and they carried an 'extra skinny' cut and he had to go down a size for them to fit, but they fit great as well.

And my son is the same height and weight as yours. He is a dancer so he has an athletic but zero fat build.

In the future, you might consider Lands End (too late now) they carry slim sizes and they have all the measurements on their site. If you can measure him, you can figure out if the pants will fit.  I have found them to run true to measurements.

• Like 3

We have had very good luck with Arizona Brand from JC Penney. My oldest is now in the 29"x32" but before that was in the 18 slim; not sure if you can get the slim in-store or not, but maybe. The skinnier styles might work if not,  or the Arizona Brand regular 28x32 should be a bit slimmer fit (we have found it to be better, anyway). 

• Like 3

We're out of time. Old Navy was a strike out. I was heading back to the mall when we passed a Planet Exchange & popped in quickly, hoping to find something slim in 28x32. The stores we'd been at so far do not stock that combo on the shelf. 28x30 is the longest length without ordering.

Well, we lucked out!! There was one pair of AE 28x32 & they were slim straight & we scooped it up!! Best part--$11.95!! Yeah!!

Now, the waist is too big. The 26's we had tried on earlier were too small. We got a belt & called it good.

Whew!

• Like 4

We're out of time. Old Navy was a strike out. I was heading Back to the mall when we passed a Planet Exchange & popped in quickly, hoping to find something slim in 28x32. The stores we'd been at so far do not stock that combo on the shelf. 28x30 is the longest length without ordering.

Well, we lucked out!! There was one pair of AE 28x32 & they were slim straight & we scooped it up!! Best part--$11.95!! Yeah!!

Now, the waist is too big. The 26's we had tried on earlier were too small. We got a belt & called it good.

Whew!

Those were probably in the store because someone returned them.  I've asked, and they don't normally stock that size in the store. You are so lucky!  Woohoo!

We found them at Planet Exchange, not AE. So really, REALLY lucky. PE is a consignment store.

These jeans have been very, very loved in their previous life, but they're in perfect condition which is kind of even better-they're all broken in!

• Like 2

Kohl's has worked for us now and then. Levis in, I think, style 514. There was a very helpful sales assistant at Kohl's who was especially well-versed in what measurements I could fine off-shelf. (At this time, I was trying to get 28 x 32.)

We also had luck getting the brand "Carbon" at the store Rue 21. It's an inexpensive youth apparel store.

I feel your pain, though. Getting fitted pants "off the rack" for DS, who is now 5' 11"/135lbs., has been difficult for a year and a half now.

• Like 2

Levi's, but you have to special order them.  AE also has 29/32 I think, but also special order. You will not find that size in a store. 

Good luck!

We had to special order Levi's for a few years. DS is now 16 and can finally shop in the store. 

If your DS will wear skinny jeans (mine won't), some of the mall stores that are more skateboard-style might have jeans that fit.

• Like 1