Menu

In my shoes, what would you do?

If you have good DE options there, I would plan to homeschool HS with a combination of outsourced classes (like AOPS, PAHS AP classes, etc.) plus DE classes. That will give you the most challenge and flexibility without burnout, and the DE classes will give him some social interaction. I'd also look into other local options for socializing, like a chess club, book club, homeschool teen group, etc.

• Like 2

My money is on DE and other outsourcing for this scenario due to the foreign language issue.

Aside from the foreign language, I'm not sure I'd write off all those high schools as STEM-focused.  I'm out of the loop, but my dh attended one such school (rhymes with punter) and I'm not under the impression that it is solely STEM-focused; indeed I recall that one of his classmates is a famous actress and another is a famous musician.  And certainly your ds would want advanced math courses in any case.

Your ds has benefitted from the custom-fit of homeschooling to an extreme and ultimately, continuing that custom-fit going forward would yield a more impressive transcript than might be available at a school.

I have no ideas on the social angle, but perhaps he will become more involved in activities as he gets older.  That raises an important question:  what extracurricular activities would he be interested in at a school and are there comparable alternatives with age-mates that he could join if he homeschools?

• Like 1

Hubby and I are facing something similar in that our boys social needs and enjoyment of B&M outsource classes mean it would be cheaper to put them in private high school or do dual enrollment all four years. We have toured a few private high schools and so far none has impressed our kids. Boredom is our number one worry as parents because we are both "troublemakers" when bored during our schooldays.

My neighbors whose kids like fine arts more than STEM have them as outside electives. They are involved in orchestra, theatre ... outside of the public high school. Since the local high schools do 4 years of math and science, kids can still choose a stem path in college if they want to. Some might be thinking of majoring in economics but nothing is cast in stone at 9th grade for them.

ETA:

There are some high school (>14 years old) internships with parks and marine mammals that DS9 is interested in so dual enroll might work out better for him.

They are involved in orchestra, theatre ... outside of the public high school.

If DS gets in and attends one of these schools, there seems to be nothing that happens outside of school activities. Maybe not even sleep, judging by the "myths" the school officials were going out of their way to dispel...I'd have no problem crafting and having him do an "Indipendent study" with his tutor for French. "He won't have the time for that" is what I'm told...

.I'm out of the loop, but my dh attended one such school (rhymes with punter) and I'm not under the impression that it is solely STEM-focused; indeed I recall that one of his classmates is a famous actress and another is a famous musician.  

So that one has only one entrance point and it's 7th grade. DS will still be in France when the test is administered for that one...

. "He won't have the time for that" is what I'm told...

Do you have the current year schedules for 9th-12th for those schools? I would look at how the school load is really implemented.

My oldest is in 6th so we are doing most of the open houses this year. He wants all the social clubs like DECA, except sports :lol:

ETA:

We toured Basis Independent recently and wasn't impressed :p

I'm sorry about the difficulty finding a good social and future high school fit for your DS. Have you thought about Stanford OHS? And have you looked into the Caroline Bradley scholarship to pay for OHS?  (he would apply for CB in his 7th grade year...they are not as concerned about age, it's the 7th grade year, whenever that happens, that one applies).

http://www.educationaladvancement.org/caroline-d-bradley-scholarship/

OHS students do online clubs together and I believe there are in person meet ups too. Is that something that could be helpful?

If you take the 3-course option for OHS, he should have time do the French depth/ immersion you hope for him to have (and stay with AoPS for math).

Anyway, just a thought. Good luck!

ETA: I just saw that you mentioned your DS will be in France in 7th...the CB app is submitted online and if shortlisted they call you for an interview. I think you can ask them about your situation to see if they could interview him online. I don't know if they do that but you never know.

• Like 1

In your shoes... I would move to the district with the nicest and friendliest public high school I could find and not stress about the specifics of classes. In my high school and college experience, I had a few great classes and a few dreadful ones and a few I was way too advanced for and a few that I was terribly underprepared and it was really all okay.

• Like 3

I'm sorry about the difficulty finding a good social and future high school fit for your DS. Have you thought about Stanford OHS? And have you looked into the Caroline Bradley scholarship to pay for OHS? (he would apply for CB in his 7th grade year...they are not as concerned about age, it's the 7th grade year, whenever that happens, that one applies).

http://www.educationaladvancement.org/caroline-d-bradley-scholarship/

Hi, yes, this is a real option, thank you for reminding me. Especially the 3 credit one. He won't be in France for 7th just the January of 6th...Thanks again.

• Like 1

I don't know what is the difference between dual enrolllment and middle college here. However my kids could take classes for free under the middle college program affliated with the school district if they are public high schoolers.

Have you thought about Stanford OHS?

Do you happen to know if there are proctored exams? Now that my local libraries have stop proctor services we are wary of any course for example OSU that involve looking for someone eligible and willing to proctor.

ETA:

Can't find that information on their website. I'm looking at AP Chinese though since by the time kids reach that level there is no shortage of natives peers to chat with. I'll go bug them when I remember to for an answer since its not urgent.

It seems to me that homeschooling high school and finding the resources to custom-fit your child's education (DE, outsourcing, social extracurriculars) would be easier and more profitable for your son than trying to cram him into an unsuitable school environment. And I am not a "homeschool at all costs" type. My oldest went to school from the end of 6th on.

• Like 1

Do you happen to know if there are proctored exams?

I don't know in general but for AP, as an OHS student, you will still have to look for high schools to take the AP exams. However, it sounds like (asked a friend who knows) OHS is trying to find a workaround.

Have you take a look at NSLI-Y scholarship for Arabic for later?

"The National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, provides merit-based scholarships for eligible high school students and recent high school graduates to learn less commonly taught languages in summer and academic-year overseas immersion programs"

There is also the Malone scholarship for OHS

"Who should apply for the Malone Family Foundation Scholarship?

Students applying for full-time admission to grades 7–11 who meet the following criteria:

• Be a citizen of the United States.
  • Meet all admissions criteria for Stanford OHS.
  • Show superior motivation for academic excellence evidenced by indicators such as grade reports, test scores in the top 5 percentile, and other measures of achievement.
  • Demonstrate financial need to qualify for funding of at least 30% of full-time tuition according to the NAIS SSS system."

I don't know in general but for AP, as an OHS student, you will still have to look for high schools to take the AP exams. However, it sounds like (asked a friend who knows) OHS is trying to find a workaround.

Just drop the OHS an email to ask about exams for any OHS course.  Older is not elgible for Caroline Bradley or Malone or NSLI-Y scholarship because of the citizenship criteria.

ETA:

reply from OHS

"For assessments, you will register a proctor in your local area.  They are used for placement exams as well as major tests and term exams. "

Have you take a look at NSLI-Y scholarship for Arabic for later?

"The National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, provides merit-based scholarships for eligible high school students and recent high school graduates to learn less commonly taught languages in summer and academic-year overseas immersion programs"

There is also the Malone scholarship for OHS

"Who should apply for the Malone Family Foundation Scholarship?

Students applying for full-time admission to grades 7–11 who meet the following criteria:

• Be a citizen of the United States.
  • Meet all admissions criteria for Stanford OHS.
  • Show superior motivation for academic excellence evidenced by indicators such as grade reports, test scores in the top 5 percentile, and other measures of achievement.
  • Demonstrate financial need to qualify for funding of at least 30% of full-time tuition according to the NAIS SSS system."
Just drop the OHS an email to ask about exams for any OHS course. Older is not elgible for Caroline Bradley or Malone or NSLI-Y scholarship because of the citizenship criteria.
Yes, there's a very short list of arabic resources, so that, the Kennedy-lugar, and startalk program are all in my radar. Thanks!

Eta: we would not qualify for any scholarships that have a need component. Typical middle class scenario of decent salaries combined with decent size student loans.

Do any schools in the area you're moving to allow part-time attendance?  We did that some years with our kids, and for us, it was the perfect solution.  Our kids generally took two, sometimes three classes at the PS, and then biked home (we lived close by) and then everything else was at home.  They were also allowed to participate in all the extra curriculars there.  (which they loved -- theater, sports, etc.)

One of our daughters took French through high school.  It was not offered at the public school.  We did it through on-line programs and it worked great.  She is now spending her first year post-college teaching in France!  So, even without a top notch French class in high school, she went on to becoming fluent and doing really well with it.  (just to encourage you!)

• Like 1

Do you happen to know if there are proctored exams? Now that my local libraries have stop proctor services we are wary of any course for example OSU that involve looking for someone eligible and willing to proctor.

Have you checked your CC's testing center? Ours is approved for BYU's online courses as well as all the TX distance courses. They also offer CLEPs. The bonus is that this is their business so you don't have to ask someone to do this as a favor.

OP, I've come to the conclusion that we'll be better off homeschooling high school using online classes and DE. The B&M options all involve commuting into Houston long before the sun comes up and I'm just not up for that. We can't move because both of the boys are doing well in their placements and I don't want to mess those up.

I've been looking for social opportunities for T outside of the local hsing community because we just don't fit in. We don't share their political or religious views and that's harder to hide once you're a tween or teen. I think we've found a good balance and T says she's happy. She certainly knows enough about school culture to know how hard the middle school jungle can be just from talking with B&M schooled kids. It's a tough balancing act.

• Like 1

Do any schools in the area you're moving to allow part-time attendance? We did that some years with our kids, and for us, it was the perfect solution. Our kids generally took two, sometimes three classes at the PS, and then biked home (we lived close by) and then everything else was at home. They were also allowed to participate in all the extra curriculars there. (which they loved -- theater, sports, etc.)

One of our daughters took French through high school. It was not offered at the public school. We did it through on-line programs and it worked great. She is now spending her first year post-college teaching in France! So, even without a top notch French class in high school, she went on to becoming fluent and doing really well with it. (just to encourage you!)

I don't think we can do partial attendance in NY (Though the scenario you describe seems dreamy to me!) but what I am currently thinking is setting aside the über selective publics (even if he gets in) and moving into a district with a decent-enough public high school that has a healthy dual enrollment program and friendly school admin. This way, he can do the ski club or drama or whatever AP they offer at the school, and the rest of the classes via dual enrollment...

I can do french very well outside of school. DS is apparently fluent now, reading books just 1 grade level below his. I have an amazing Skype tutor and a list of books he can read and discuss with her. It's just that going to a very competitive school, I'm told by current parents at those schools that he won't have time for that...

• Like 1

I don't think we can do partial attendance in NY (Though the scenario you describe seems dreamy to me!) but what I am currently thinking is setting aside the über selective publics (even if he gets in) and moving into a district with a decent-enough public high school that has a healthy dual enrollment program and friendly school admin. This way, he can do the ski club or drama or whatever AP they offer at the school, and the rest of the classes via dual enrollment...

I can do french very well outside of school. DS is apparently fluent now, reading books just 1 grade level below his. I have an amazing Skype tutor and a list of books he can read and discuss with her. It's just that going to a very competitive school, I'm told by current parents at those schools that he won't have time for that...

I think that sounds like the perfect solution.  :)

I'm glad that things are starting to look up a bit! That sounds like a great plan.

See, we have some nice plans too (and thinking about a selective uni) but I don't think they are anywhere close to as ambitious as what public schools in Palo Alto do or even what some of the homeschooling families in our IRL circles do. We like acceleration because it works for my DS but there are also areas where we have to be very relaxed because he is not a super-stamina kid. Even with that, we still hit the limited time problem. I think there is just very little way around that at the high school level. My plan for next semester is to ask him to take only 2 courses so that he will have time for all the other in depth stuff he likes and that is worrisome to me because it won't look good on a transcript but then, it's what he needs and what will be best so that he can get enough sleep.

Basically, my long winded way of saying that time might always be a challenge, whatever you decide. A good priorities list will hopefully help. Good luck!

• Like 1

You can do partial attendance in NY, not as a home schooled student, but as a public schooled student.You have to work with the admin. Some schools are having students part time at CC or U and part time at high school. Some have them independent study, some distance learning. Test out is allowed per state law. What you have to do with the FL is follow state law, which may change in the next few years.BOCES also offers AP courses.

Yes, I guess they do not call it part time but this high school I'm looking at has a discrete list of classes students can take at a handful of local colleges/SUNY. They've negotiated a discounted tuition price for those particular classes. I'm hoping they would not frown upon other classes being taken this way, so long as we pay the non-discounted price.

[quote name="Arcadia

ETA:

We toured Basis Independent recently and wasn't impressed :p

No, I imagine you wouldn't be, considering what I read of your boys here. Mine is not on that planet, and I was pretty impressed with the other stem one until the guidance counselor said "oh well, just have him pick a third language". And a parent told me, you may place into "foreign Lang 3" but those spots are really for juniors.

I'm attending so many open houses this fall.

And a parent told me, you may place into "foreign Lang 3" but those spots are really for juniors.

I'm attending so many open houses this fall.

I spoke to the AP Chinese teacher at some of the private high schools.  They allow the native speakers to place into AP Chinese in 9th.  What I did was to speak to the subject heads if possible at every open house we went.  They are well versed in the placement tests done in Spring which are required for acceleration in their respective subjects.   In fact at one of the schools, the world language teachers said that if the student could do the AP exam in 9th or 10th grade, then they could either pick another language or just have time to do whatever elective they like.

Score of 3, 4 or 5 on the AP Exam​ is enough to satisfy state u requirement here so getting that score as a 9th grader would free up some time slots in 10th-12th for something else.  The private schools do allow dual enrollment as well.

We aren't looking at the stem crazy ones because those tend to be less diverse.  Luckily their cello teacher has a string ensemble that performs at seniors homes as community service so my boys music needs are taken care off without having to try for the youth orchestra.

ETA:

Collect name cards of the subject heads.  Easier than checking staff directory at a later date when you have questions.

I spoke to the AP Chinese teacher at some of the private high schools. They allow the native speakers to place into AP Chinese in 9th. What I did was to speak to the subject heads if possible at every open house we went. They are well versed in the placement tests done in Spring which are required for acceleration in their respective subjects. In fact at one of the schools, the world language teachers said that if the student could do the AP exam in 9th or 10th grade, then they could either pick another language or just have time to do whatever elective they like.

Score of 3, 4 or 5 on the AP Exam​ is enough to satisfy state u requirement here so getting that score as a 9th grader would free up some time slots in 10th-12th for something else. The private schools do allow dual enrollment as well.

We aren't looking at the stem crazy ones because those tend to be less diverse. Luckily their cello teacher has a string ensemble that performs at seniors homes as community service so my boys music needs are taken care off without having to try for the youth orchestra.

ETA:

Collect name cards of the subject heads. Easier than checking staff directory at a later date when you have questions.

department staff was not made available here, but from current parents: they do give the placement test, but if there's no room in the AP or even the 3 level class, they won't place the 9th graders there because they have juniors and seniors to worry about. I've heard the AP classes( not just language, but across the board) running out of room at this school before and current parent/ students confirmed it.