Menu

Anyone have a good falafel recipe?

Luckymama

I've been wanting to try falafel.  I can't say that this recipe is good because I've never tried it.  But Bob's Red Mill has been very reliable in my experience - products and recipes.  So, I know you want a recipe someone has made, but if no one comes up with anything, maybe this will do.

Maybe it will also get me to find some garbanzo flour and make them myself! 

ETA: Just looked at the one review on the site.  Hmm.... not very promising.  Leaving it up anyway in case others have comments.

• Like 1

This is the recipe I've been using for years.  Traditional recipes just have you soak the garbanzos for 24 hours and they're cooking when you deep-fry them, but I don't think that's a good option if you're shallow-frying them or baking them since the beans don't really get cooked enough.  The spices are really flexible and if you can process the beans without adding water, skip it.  Also, I've started cooking the falafel in the waffle iron.  It's so much easier to eat in flatbread and it's less messy than deep frying them.  

1 c garbanzos
1/3 c bulgur
3 T lemon juice
2 large eggs
3 T water
4 garlic cloves
1/2 T cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 T parsley
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup-1 cup fresh bread crumbs

Soak and cook the garbanzos till they are mostly cooked, but not at all mushy. They should still have a little bite to them.

Soak the bulgur in warm water till it's soft (not mushy, just soft) for about 20 minutes. Drain it well.

Put the garbanzos into a food processor with the lemon juice, eggs, water, and garlic and pulse till the beans are finely chopped but not pureed at all. Add the herbs and spices and the drained bulgur and mix well. Add enough bread crumbs so the mixture holds together well. Cover and let it sit for at least 30 minutes to get firmer.  Cook as desired.

• Like 4

Here's the recipe I use, I got it off the internet a long time ago.  The mixture needs to be like cookie dough, if it falls apart when fried, add more flour.

I used dry garbanzo beans that I cook up.

Filafel

1 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons flour
Salt
Pepper
Oil for frying

Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add flour.  Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together.

You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste. Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten. Fry in 2 inches of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (5-7 minutes). Serve with pita bread

Thanks, all. I ended up with a recipe quite similar to prairie-phlox's but from allrecipes, pan-fried for a few minutes and finished in the oven. I only had canned chickpeas. Next time I'll try proper fried falafel balls made with dried/soaked chickpeas (or I'll use the waffle iron).

Dd and dh aren't picky about their falafel, though (when pressed) they said they prefer the fried type.

• Like 2

I've been wanting to try falafel.  I can't say that this recipe is good because I've never tried it.  But Bob's Red Mill has been very reliable in my experience - products and recipes.  So, I know you want a recipe someone has made, but if no one comes up with anything, maybe this will do.

Maybe it will also get me to find some garbanzo flour and make them myself! 

ETA: Just looked at the one review on the site.  Hmm.... not very promising.  Leaving it up anyway in case others have comments.

Thanks for this!  I have Bob's garbanzo flour and LOVE it, especially in cauliflower patties.  Oh, heaven.

Does anyone know if these recipes could be done with a flour replacement like corn meal, rice flour, coconut flour, or almond flour? I intend on making falafel for an upcoming community event and would like it to be gf since several wheat allergy and celiac sufferers (myself included) will be in attendance.

Does anyone know if these recipes could be done with a flour replacement like corn meal, rice flour, coconut flour, or almond flour? I intend on making falafel for an upcoming community event and would like it to be gf since several wheat allergy and celiac sufferers (myself included) will be in attendance.

I am sure I've made them at least once with GF bread crumbs. I found them easily in the natural foods section of my grocery store, or you could make your own GF crumbs from stale GF bread.

Because of the texture, I would be leery to make a switch to a flour or cornmeal for a large group without trying it first.

The recipe I use has 6 Tbsp of flour, primarily as a binder, so I think so, yes.

I don't use any binder at all - there are lots of recipes without binder. Mine hold together without problem.

• Like 1