Menu

My facebook whine for the day.

SKL

What's with all the posts that end with "THIS" and you have to click on it to find out what "THIS" is?

"Police stop a man for speeding and THIS happens"

"Politican's campaign is in trouble because of THIS"

"We're all gonna die if we don't stop eating THIS"

If I click on THIS, there's a 50/50 chance my internet will bomb and I'll have to start all over.

I can't believe people haven't complained enough to get THIS to stop!

Anyone else?

• Like 5

DH and I were just talking about those stories. They are also at the bottom of most news sites. "You'll never believe these people exist!" or "The photographer was in the perfect spot!". Do the news sites get money for these??

The click bait video intros that drive me the craziest go something like: "She rubs mayonnaise on her belly and smears chocolate syrup on her head. I was amazed when I saw what happened next."

She was eaten by hungry wolves?

Because if it was anything other than that and I had clicked on it, I would be MAD.

• Like 7

I refuse to click on click bait anymore and the only way it's going to go away is if large numbers of people make the same decision. I don't have a lot of hope. The worst ones are a numbered list where they pick one to say is the specialest one, but there's nothing remarkable about it.

Top ten pies you'll want to cook for the holidays! You won't believe number 6!!!

6. Yeah, it's pumpkin. Sucker.

• Like 6

DH and I were just talking about those stories. They are also at the bottom of most news sites. "You'll never believe these people exist!" or "The photographer was in the perfect spot!". Do the news sites get money for these??

I would guess they have an ad deal where they get paid per page view or having x number of views or they structure the page in such a way that you accidentally click on ads to read more of the story and they get paid per ad click.