Menu

How Family Game Night Makes Kids Into Better Students

Here's a link to the article.

Are you intentional in your use of games?  Has it paid off?  Have you ever seen a particular area of weakness improve as a result of game play? 

My current obsessions are working memory and processing speed.  Could game play really help with these? 

I'm debating teaching my older daughter chess.  If the hype is real it will help improve her cognitive function.  Or, conversely, it will be impossible for her to play because of existing deficits in cognitive function (very slow processing speed, low working memory).  

• Like 6

I think game play is valuable. Though I do wonder if some of the benefits are just from having that regular family time and having parents who consider it fun to be with their kids like that. I think that is what is at work in many of the studies that show an academic benefit to family meals, family movie night, family game night, reading aloud together etc.

We have had game night and movie night for years. I haven't done this looking for academic results but gauging my sons, it certainly hasn't hurt them. And in the case of my nephew and niece, I have seen some noticable results expecially with word games and for my nephew, math games. We play a lot of math and word games. Also chess, we all play chess. We will have a little tournament when chess is the game. It's gratifying when my 6 year old pulls off a couple of wins and is in the final 2. ;) processing speed was a serious weakness for my older son but we have been closing the large gap between his processing speed and his overall IQ since he was diagnosed with ASD. I couldn't credit it all to game night but chess, spelling and regular math skill use do seem to be factors.

Another thing we do is that I have a small box of small games on the table and we will often play something quick right before or after a meal. It's a good way to hold them if dinner needs to cook a little longer- you know those nights the chicken isn't cooked to temp 15 minutes after it "should" be done! ;)

• Like 6

We love games for many reasons! Yes, I am sure there's some educational value to most of the games we have (memory, strategy, math games etc). When the kids were little it also seemed to help to teach them cooperation, sharing, and turn taking. And puzzles... have taught us perseverance and patience! They are not for everyone though, our oldest was never too fond of board games :(

ETA: answering your questions more directly, yes, has paid for us. Word games has helped with vocab, spelling. Math games with math facts and mental math in general. I want to believe memory games have done some good? So yes, I think they have been good for us...but we don't play games just for the educational value of it

• Like 1

My current obsessions are working memory and processing speed. Could game play really help with these?

I'm debating teaching my older daughter chess. If the hype is real it will help improve her cognitive function.

Game play has improved my kids sportsmanship. From crying losers to gracious losers eventhough DS9 is at the crying but gracious loser stage.

Blackjack has helped DS9. However his working memory is high and processing speed is low. Still a pack of cards is easy to carry around to improve speed.

Untimed chess has been helpful for both my kids, even the one with high WM and PS scores. Timed chess frustrates my slower child. Besides my slower child can win my faster one in untimed chess so my faster child cannot be complacent :)

• Like 2

I am sure that interaction and critical thinking games are positive for kids. Games are a great way to practice without pressure. I can't stand chess because the options overwhelm me. But it's still good for me.

I think you should try. Worst case scenario... You're playing chess.

While working with my nephew last year who was in third grade I discovered a very successful way to work on his processing speed without the stress of trying to also win. We played the game Blink, similar to Set which is mentioned in the link. He would be the 2nd set of eyes for my 4 year old. So he wasn't trying to win, he was helping her while she tried to beat my 6 year old or me. When he was officially playing he'd be to focused on not trying to lose to be able to focus on the cards well. But when losing was off the table he was able to focus on the task. He could eventually play one on one and be a challenge. This helped him in other areas of life as well. He started seeing the pattern in things more quickly and with less clues.

• Like 2

We don't have family game night. We have play games whenever you request, within reason. Yesterday I played 10 games of chess, 3 games of quoridor, lots of go fish, and shut the box. Today I played Scrambled States, a few games of quoridor, and one game of chess. I also promised ds a game of quarriors once his siblings are in bed. Some days we play nothing. All the game play is quite beneficial for my kids in so many ways so I'll keep playing if they keep asking.

• Like 3

I'm not fond of many board games either, but I have a fabulous brother who plays with dd 3 or 4 days per week. It's definitely helped with her arithmetic, she's very slowly learning thinking strategies like process of elimination, she knows better than to buy an "asset" with no passive income (we've just started playing Cashflow for Kids, which even I can play without eyeing sporks) and she's picking up quite a lot of vocabulary.

Thanks for linking the article, shinyhappypeople.  Two of our favorite family games, SET and Quarto, are among the five featured. These games are also two that my husband (who tutors math) uses with some of his students to promote logical thinking.

I do think that games can be very beneficial.

Regards,

Kareni

Here's a link to the article.

Are you intentional in your use of games?  

We are intentional. We have many games, and have printed off lists of Strategy Games and Word Games (those we own and those we don't own yet). This is how we categorize games in our house, but I don't know why we do this.

Has it paid off?  

I would say yes.

Have you ever seen a particular area of weakness improve as a result of game play? 

Yes. I think my children are much less likely to fall apart than they used to be. So, emotional regulation? We never make the game (or winning) a big deal. We just play, and whatever happens, happens. I never have enjoyed playing with people who want most of all to win, and that is certainly not how we play here! I think this attitude to playing games has helped my three daughters to shrug off a loss, as well as not gloat about a win. It is just a game.

My current obsessions are working memory and processing speed.  Could game play really help with these? 

Play The Memory Game (Concentration) and see. ;) Or Dutch Blitz.

I'm debating teaching my older daughter chess.  If the hype is real it will help improve her cognitive function.  Or, conversely, it will be impossible for her to play because of existing deficits in cognitive function (very slow processing speed, low working memory).  

I think of chess the way I think of Latin or music -- something is better than nothing, why not begin? We have no lofty goals with chess or music or Latin, but just move steadily along with them. There are measurable gains for spending time on any of these pursuits. HTH.

• Like 1

I think our kids are better able to see things from each other's points of view thanks to playing games.  Probably some improvement to executive function as well, but it's hard to tell.

When we play board games it's often an economic game like Settlers of Catan where you have to trade off things of value and work with or against the other players. They seem to think a lot about strategies, when it's good to trade, or when it's better strategy to lock out the other player -- who might retaliate. There's a lot of negotiating and planning going on.

dd, age 7, won her first game of "Acquire" last week.  (It's a much more businesslike business game than Monopoly, and helps explain a lot of the corporate news. But the main advantage is you don't know the winner until the very end. So no grinding last 2 hours of the game with everyone crying except 1 person)

• Like 2

I am a game snob. I organize a game day where we play for 6-8 hours*. Due to time we can only meet once a week. General rule: If it can be bought at Wal-Mart it does no make the cut. My son loves table top miniatures. I prefer longer more complex games. The current game we spent 5 hours setting up and learning to take the first turn. Next game day we hope to play a complete game. We both enjoy two player strategy games and my son is excellent at these games. I keep my trunk well stocked and can always pull out a game.

*I do not suggest marathon game days unless you have food. Hangry gamers is not a pretty sight.

• Like 2

I am a game snob. I organize a game day where we play for 6-8 hours*. Due to time we can only meet once a week. General rule: If it can be bought at Wal-Mart it does no make the cut. My son loves table top miniatures. I prefer longer more complex games. The current game we spent 5 hours setting up and learning to take the first turn. Next game day we hope to play a complete game. We both enjoy two player strategy games and my son is excellent at these games. I keep my trunk well stocked and can always pull out a game.

*I do not suggest marathon game days unless you have food. Hangry gamers is not a pretty sight.

What game was it?? We play a huge variety of games from simple card games to games that take hours and love adding to our collection.

We own about 20 games we never play. Monopoly, Catan, Set, Casanonne (something like that), etc. I have the best intentions of instituting a game night on Fridays or Saturdays, but then I'm done after the busy week and rather just watch a movie. 

The kids would love to play more, especially DS.

My daughter (8) makes up her own rules and insists on playing by them. They also change constantly, depending on her outcome. Arguing about it makes for an unpleasant experience - so I'd rather just not go there. My husband manages playing with her, but I get heart palpitations (even while drinking wine). 

My daughter (8) makes up her own rules and insists on playing by them. They also change constantly, depending on her outcome. Arguing about it makes for an unpleasant experience - so I'd rather just not go there. My husband manages playing with her, but I get heart palpitations (even while drinking wine). 

Your daughter might like

Fluxx 5.0 Card Game which is a card game with ever changing rules.

There are many versions ~

Oz Fluxx

Pirate Fluxx

EcoFluxx

Family Fluxx

and many more.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

That's one of the nice things about the Cashflow for Kids game. If you go bankrupt, you just start over.

I found that game at a thrift store for a dollar about a year ago. We haven't played it yet because my kids weren't ready for it when I found it but I think my oldest is now. I'll have to suggest it sometime soon.

• Like 1

I found that game at a thrift store for a dollar about a year ago. We haven't played it yet because my kids weren't ready for it when I found it but I think my oldest is now. I'll have to suggest it sometime soon.

Dd, who can't do most of the maths, decided to be the banker the other day.  :confused1:

Wish I'd found it for a dollar! :ack2:  <-- That's me being green with envy, heheh

• Like 1