Menu

The Mass Pope Francis is saying is on TV now.

unsinkable

Baptist here. Why is this significant? Did he stop preaching when he became the Pope or years prior? Was this a special occasion or did he just want to? I assume he doesn't normally preach?

The Pope does say Mass fairly regularly (lead a service) but having him in the United States is very rare. His message today will be directed to us in the USA specifically,a nd many of us would like to hear it. 

• Like 3

Baptist here. Why is this significant? Did he stop preaching when he became the Pope or years prior? Was this a special occasion or did he just want to? I assume he doesn't normally preach?

IMO, it is significant bc it is the first time he celebrated Mass in the US.

In the Catholic faith:

Celebrating Mass is more than preaching. The Mass has 2 parts...the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

In the Liturgy of the Word, for the main parts, there is usually a reading from the OT, a Psalm, a reading from the NT and then a reading from the Gospel. Then there is the Homily, which is the preaching. :D

The Liturgy of the Eucharist, for the main part, is when the bread and wine is transformed to the Body and Blood of Jesus.

HTH

• Like 5

The Native population of California has been very vocal that this canonization is hurtful and offensive. The Mission system is still taught in California as a place that helped the savages become civilized, protected them from worse horrors, blah, blah, blah. One only has to scratch the surface of this revisionism to find out that the mission system was also a place of sexual abuse, slavery, disease and unspeakable horrors. While Juniper Serra may arguably have been the lesser of evils, his canonization was, at best, insensitive. For many people he is the face of genocide.

I wanted very badly to like this pope but cannot for the life of me figure out how the Vatican couldn't come up with a less divisive figure to canonize on American soil. 

• Like 2