Menu

So...Minnesota

Aelwydd

Just moved here a few weeks ago, sight unseen. We're really impressed with the parks, the active lifestyles...the food!

We're trying to find our niche. So far, we have yet to formally meet any of our neighbors. There is a park nearby, but ds has not yet really met any kids that aren't really young or are older teens. We are aware of one secular co-op in the Twin Cities area. We haven't connected with them yet, but plan to.

Any Minnesotans here with advice or recommendations for getting plugged into the community? TIA!

hs adventures.org

ECHO-MN, is a yahoo group

Not homeschool related but if you are looking for an organic food buying club

naturalfamilybuyingclub.org

I know there are co-ops but I only knew about Christian ones.

We thought Minnesota was a really nice state. No one wanted to move when it was time to come back to Canada.

• Like 1

We live near Alexandria, MN, up in the west central part of the state. :)

I sign dd up for a lot of community ed classes. They're fairly inexpensive and she meets a ton of kids that way. Most school districts in MN also let homeschooled kids participate in all the school extracurriculars, so you could look into that.

You're down by the cities? Many of the museums down there have hs-specific stuff: https://www.smm.org/homeschool

The MN Zoo is having Homeschool Day on October 6th, and a Homeschool Academy class for 9 - 12 year olds starting September 21st. http://mnzoo.org/education/schools-teachers/homeschool-families/

The Como Zoo has homeschool classes too. http://www.comozooconservatory.org/education/schools/home-school-classes/#/current-programs

The way we've always met people is to just get out and do as many activities as possible. Be outgoing and don't be shy about asking people if they want to hang out sometime. Most of the people here are very nice. ;)  Also don't be shy about contacting your local school and asking what resources they can offer you. Homeschooling is fairly normal here. You definitely don't have to hide your kid during school hours or anything like that.

Oh, and do visit Duluth if you have the chance. It's a fantastic small city and the scenery is amazing.

• Like 1

Hey - I have a thought. :)

Is anyone interested in doing a meet-up?  I know, I know - I'm not technically a Minnesotan.  Can I be an honourary Minnesotan?  If I stop spelling "honourary" with a "u"? :D 

I'd be willing to drive down to Duluth for a day to meet there if anyone is interested. :)

• Like 2

I'm not technically a Minnesotan yet either (have to get my new license, lol). I called about what I have to do to go native, and was told about an obstacle course, a triathlon, and a dog sled race I have to complete in the dead of winter.

Also, I have to swear I have never have pledged allegiance to the Canadian flag, as this has dire consequences every 4 years.

Does this sound right to the Minnesotans here??

• Like 3

I'm not technically a Minnesotan yet either (have to get my new license, lol). I called about what I have to do to go native, and was told about an obstacle course, a triathlon, and a dog sled race I have to complete in the dead of winter.

Also, I have to swear I have never have pledged allegiance to the Canadian flag, as this has dire consequences every 4 years.

We don't even pledge allegiance to our flag. :D  Hmmmm...  Maybe there's dire consequences if ANYONE pledges allegiance to the Canadian flag...

• Like 2

You're not officially Minnesotan until you've made it through a winter. A real winter. Snow, blizzards, double-digit below zero temps. Have fun.  :D

• Like 4

Hey - I have a thought. :)

Is anyone interested in doing a meet-up?  I know, I know - I'm not technically a Minnesotan.  Can I be an honourary Minnesotan?  If I stop spelling "honourary" with a "u"? :D

I'd be willing to drive down to Duluth for a day to meet there if anyone is interested. :)

Ooh, I'd love to do a meet-up! I lived in Duluth for six years while I went to college, and my mom and stepdad still live there. I could play tour guide if it's anyone's first time there. :)

• Like 1

As a former ex-pat in Minneapolis: start thinking about your winter outdoor activities now. You will need to get out of the house. I bought used snowshoes at Midwest Mountaineering on Ceder Ave. I would snowshoe around the local playground, just to get some sun and raise my heart rate. The good news is there are beautiful sunny days in winter. The bad news is these clear winter days are super cold! But if you have the right clothes and gear winter can be wonderful. Minneapolis is fantastic, enjoy!

• Like 2

As a former ex-pat in Minneapolis: start thinking about your winter outdoor activities now. You will need to get out of the house. I bought used snowshoes at Midwest Mountaineering on Ceder Ave. I would snowshoe around the local playground, just to get some sun and raise my heart rate. The good news is there are beautiful sunny days in winter. The bad news is these clear winter days are super cold! But if you have the right clothes and gear winter can be wonderful. Minneapolis is fantastic, enjoy!

Thanks! Yes, I am already thinking about winter clothes and gear. I'm looking for super warm socks and boots and warm hats, etc.

• Like 1

The state parks are a good way to find outdoor activities in the winter. The one here has all kinds of stuff going on during the winter, like birdwatching and midnight snowshoeing. Ours also rents out skis and snowshoes. And the best part is that most of the events are free if you have an annual parking pass.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/3month.html?jsp=/templates/listing.jsp&k=stpk&nd=90&o=startdate

• Like 1

The state parks are a good way to find outdoor activities in the winter. The one here has all kinds of stuff going on during the winter, like birdwatching and midnight snowshoeing. Ours also rents out skis and snowshoes. And the best part is that most of the events are free if you have an annual parking pass.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/3month.html?jsp=/templates/listing.jsp&k=stpk&nd=90&o=startdate

I want a bicycle now that I see everyone from age 3 to 93 rides around here.

• Like 2

I remember my first autumn in MN when I marched outside to ask why on earth the maintenance guy was watering the dead grass in the park.... Laying the foundation for the ice rink! I had no idea. Great fun watching the neighborhood kids skate in the winter.

Hey, I am stoked about getting to ice skate outdoors for the first time ever. In Dallas, I had very negative associations with the words "ice" and "cobblestone."

You're not officially Minnesotan until you've made it through a winter. A real winter. Snow, blizzards, double-digit below zero temps. Have fun. :D

I think the first winter can be fun. It's the subsequent autumns when you know what's coming next that are harder. :)

We lived in St. Paul for many years and loved it. Especially the winters. The summers were brutal though--get a place with A/C if you can. I've never been so hot. Our customers used to get really cranky a week or two into a heat wave; we were in a neighborhood with all older houses that generally hadn't been updated yet. But the winters... Beautiful. So much sun. I hope you love it! :)

• Like 1

We live near Alexandria, MN, up in the west central part of the state. :)

I sign dd up for a lot of community ed classes. They're fairly inexpensive and she meets a ton of kids that way. Most school districts in MN also let homeschooled kids participate in all the school extracurriculars, so you could look into that.

You're down by the cities? Many of the museums down there have hs-specific stuff: https://www.smm.org/homeschool

The MN Zoo is having Homeschool Day on October 6th, and a Homeschool Academy class for 9 - 12 year olds starting September 21st. http://mnzoo.org/education/schools-teachers/homeschool-families/

The Como Zoo has homeschool classes too. http://www.comozooconservatory.org/education/schools/home-school-classes/#/current-programs

The way we've always met people is to just get out and do as many activities as possible. Be outgoing and don't be shy about asking people if they want to hang out sometime. Most of the people here are very nice. ;)  Also don't be shy about contacting your local school and asking what resources they can offer you. Homeschooling is fairly normal here. You definitely don't have to hide your kid during school hours or anything like that.

Oh, and do visit Duluth if you have the chance. It's a fantastic small city and the scenery is amazing.

My son lives in Fergus Falls. :)

• Like 1

Dicentra! Our music geek kiddos are pen pals right? We are going to be in Duluth Thanksgiving weekend tenatively.

I went to college in Duluth for a year and we love going up there!

There are, indeed! :)  I'm assuming you mean your Thanksgiving and not our Thanksgiving. ;)  I'm loving the idea of a Great Northern Prairie meet-up!

I remember my first autumn in MN when I marched outside to ask why on earth the maintenance guy was watering the dead grass in the park.... Laying the foundation for the ice rink! I had no idea. Great fun watching the neighborhood kids skate in the winter.

Lol! Our main rink here is a huge duck pond/public garden that they turn into a skating rink in the winter. It's a beautiful place to skate. And I'd much rather skate on the ice in the winter than fish on it.

I want a bicycle now that I see everyone from age 3 to 93 rides around here.

You guys in the cities have a bike sharing program you can buy a membership for too, in case you haven't come across it yet. :)

https://www.niceridemn.org/

I need to buy a new bike, too. Mine died a painful and untimely death last year and we're right on the place where the Central Lakes trail meets the Wobegone trail, so we do a lot of biking.